FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Remove this Banner Ad

good community in here appreciating Uk dramas at the moment

Don Drapers idea to get a thread started

heres a couple

Luther is a gripping psychological thriller driven by a brilliant and emotionally impulsive detective. A self-destructive near-genius, Luther might just be as dangerous as the depraved criminals he hunts.

10 episode over 2 seasons

Top Boy – Four-part drama series set in and around the East London Summerhouse Estate following the intertwined lives of some of the young residents caught up in the choices and consequences that are forced upon them by poverty, greed, drugs and gang culture. Best thing since The Wire

Told entirely from their perspective, Inside Men is the story of three employees of a security depot who plan and execute a multi-million pound cash heist

4 episodes

The Shadow Line is about a murder investigated by both sides of the line – police and criminals – and the opposing methods they use to solve it. But the real line is the morality within each character and how far they will go before they cross it.

7 episodes

Sherlock Holmes dude

6 episodes

add more when you find em (go hawks and a few others, looking at you), or talk about these

I discovered Dalzeil and Pascoe, last year , watching season 7 now. It comes and goes on
foxtel and streaming channels. 'gets better as it goes on.

I believe it was cancelled in 2007, but it stands up brilliantly.

I like Silent Witness and it has done 26 seasons I wonder if it will keep going. Great show.

UK cop shows are the best, more natural and better plotted than other styles , I watched River,
and Line of Duty, Shetland Brilliant!. also unforgotten , I think its called the actress also played
the dead copper in River.
The good thing about lots of these shows, you can pick them up when you like, and find so many,
they are quality most of them.
I find looking for other types of shows like Primes 1923 , where they restrict offering more episodes,
in fact 4, I've watched, no 4 nearly three weeks ago. And on the 6th Feb, they have 5 I think.

But we binge watched 1883. It must be about advertising?

I like intelligent stories. American shows are too much action and cliched ideas. They aim at teens boys. That first True Detective was pretty good. It challenged you. There are many more smart Brit series. That's why to me Manhunt is the best. No messing about, just use your brain and a thorough process.
My list is for series I actually could watch all of and can remember their names. Some others couldn't hold my interest like Pinky Blinders, or went from interesting to tiring. I hate it when two good disparate characters end up falling for each other over the seasons. If the first episode can't catch my imagination, then I don't bother.

Manhunt - the best
Slow Horses :thumbsu:
Wire in the Blood :thumbsu:
Touching Evil :thumbsu:
Line of Duty - interesting angle of using the process of investigation more than the action, the emphasis on interrogation with evidence and all the forms that must be filled out :)
Unforgotten
Sherlock - excellent
Prime Suspect - Helen Mirren
Bloodlands - S01 very good, S02 kind of a downer as the main character continually screws up and gets deeper and deeper into the s**t
CB Strike
Rebus - excellent, I also liked the first season with the skinny actor, it worked as a dissolute character
Hinterland - Wales
The Loch - Scotland
The Last Detective
Van Der Valk - remake of earlier series, very interesting modern, edgy character details
The Pembrokeshire Murders
Case Histories
Sherwood
Maigret - remake with Rowan Atkinson

Really enjoyed the finale of Happy Valley. Was great to have it back around for another season.
Really enjoyed it too, I thought the ending was fitting.
It was brilliantly understated.
I was nearly right!

What a great final episode of a great show. Sarah Lancashire should be getting awards.

Hear hear. I've been avoiding this thread for the last day or so for fear of being spoiled, but we're a more discerning bunch here in the U.K thread.

I really liked the way the Faisal loose end was tied up WITHOUT having to focus any more attention that was required on it. The showrunners knew the main storyline and what viewers really wanted to see and gave it to us.

They also forged a future path forward for practically every member of the family, including Ryan's uncle & aunt, who often got forgotten a fair bit. Ryan has matured, both Catherine & her sister realise how important the other have been to Ryan without being perfect, the various partners play a role, etc...

While I think this 3rd season had longer scenes and more dialogue than usual, the series wasn't any worse for it. You could even make an argument for the opposite. Terrific stuff and not far from the top of the U/K Crime tree!

On a related topic, I'm still wondering if James Norton is a good actor or not. Over the vaious series I've seen him in, it sometimes looks like he's much better than just good, while at other times he appears out of his depths. I guess it comes down to the role.

Hear hear. I've been avoiding this thread for the last day or so for fear of being spoiled, but we're a more discerning bunch here in the U.K thread.

I really liked the way the Faisal loose end was tied up WITHOUT having to focus any more attention that was required on it. The showrunners knew the main storyline and what viewers really wanted to see and gave it to us.

They also forged a future path forward for practically every member of the family, including Ryan's uncle & aunt, who often got forgotten a fair bit. Ryan has matured, both Catherine & her sister realise how important the other have been to Ryan without being perfect, the various partners play a role, etc...

While I think this 3rd season had longer scenes and more dialogue than usual, the series wasn't any worse for it. You could even make an argument for the opposite. Terrific stuff and not far from the top of the U/K Crime tree!

On a related topic, I'm still wondering if James Norton is a good actor or not. Over the vaious series I've seen him in, it sometimes looks like he's much better than just good, while at other times he appears out of his depths. I guess it comes down to the role.
This was the alternate ending.

The only other thing I've seen him in is a movie called Rogue Agent. He plays a sociopath who ruins people's lives by getting them to believe he's a spy and he has recruited them. He's smarter than TLR but in some ways the character is similar. Not a great movie but he suits the role.

The only other thing I've seen him in is a movie called Rogue Agent. He plays a sociopath who ruins people's lives by getting them to believe he's a spy and he has recruited them. He's smarter than TLR but in some ways the character is similar. Not a great movie but he suits the role.

He did a series of War and Peace a few years back and was excellent

I don’t mind him

Something will pop up and bang it’s Colin Firth like Oscar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did a series of War and Peace a few years back and was excellent

I don't watch Grantchester, so don't know how he goes as a priest. The interesting/polarising performance was McMafia. The whole show is kinda polarising & divisive really. It's one of those shows that is definitely worth a watch, but is kinda hard to recommend. Norton plays a fund manager who gets involved with the Russian mafia. He's supposed to play a fish out of water type character that is out of his depth. It's really tough to tell if he does it very well or very badly.

The only thing that let the HV finale down was that rogue rock in the green pasture that ended the fight

Otherwise a satisfying ending that was a fantastic series

Funnily enough Gaso, I initially thought the same (& probably still do), but I did notice they sprinkled around a few rocks. I think I saw 3. We need DRS/VAR to help us out here!

Just finished S3 HV - smashed the whole show out in a bit more than a week. Really solid, consistently good show start to finished. Loved it. A real character study into how what people think can be victim-less crimes can spiral quickly - and often unnecessarily - out of control.

Apologies if it's been mentioned previously - and for straying into movies - but apparently this is only 4 weeks away:

Luther: The Fallen Sun - Wikipedia

Luther: The Fallen Sun is an upcoming crime drama film directed by Jamie Payne and written by Neil Cross. It serves as a film continuation of the 2010–19 British television series of the same name. The film stars Idris Elba (who also serves as a producer on the film), reprising his role as John Luther, with Cynthia Erivo and Andy Serkis.

Luther: The Fallen Sun is scheduled to be released in select cinemas on 24 February 2023, before its streaming release on 10 March 2023, by Netflix.

Trailer is out:

Doing three different series at the moment:
Good enough to go through three episodes each already, usually a cut off if too cliched or silly.

The Capture: Season 1
The Fall: Season 1
A Confession (I have a feeling I saw this mid pandemic, feels familiar but very good still)

Finally got around to watching the final season of Shetland (with Jimmy). Emotional at the end, love that show. Thought the explanation and motives of the murders of the two kids was a bit weak, but otherwise a sensational season.

Last edited:
Doing three different series at the moment:
Good enough to go through three episodes each already, usually a cut off if too cliched or silly.

The Capture: Season 1
The Fall: Season 1
A Confession (I have a feeling I saw this mid pandemic, feels familiar but very good still)

The Fall S1 is fantastic

The Fall S1 is fantastic
on Season 2 now, :thumbsu:

I barely ever hand out perfect 10's, but Season 1 of 'The Fall' was a perfect 10 for mine. Just soooo tense. Dornan was unbelievably good... before he, ummm, turned all shades of grey.

Season 2 has it's obvious deficiencies, but I still enjoyed it very much.

Season 3 probably never needed to exist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back