FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Remove this Banner Ad

I barely ever hand out perfect 10's, but Season 1 of 'The Fall' was a perfect 10 for mine. Just soooo tense. Dornan was unbelievably good... before he, ummm, turned all shades of grey.

Season 2 has it's obvious deficiencies, but I still enjoyed it very much.

Season 3 probably never needed to exist.
I'm two episodes in of S02, no obvious twists yet. Could easily be a continuation of season one so far.

Binged on the new Unforgotten, season 5.
Pretty good, some interesting twists.
Maybe could have lightened up the heavy handed political statement about Thatcherism, though.

I'm only able to get the new season of Unforgotten one week at a time. But it's worth waiting for. Up to ep 2 now and there's a nice balance between suspense and reveal. Sunny is still a great character and I'm getting Anna Maxwell-Martin (Line of Duty) vibes from Sinéad Keenan.

Just finished up 'THE WALK-IN' which is on SBS ON DEMAND.

It won't be for everyone due to he subject matter, but I can pretty much sum it up by stating the following: Stephen Graham is the lead actor. Seriously, when was the last time he was in anything sub-par? Just 5 episodes and definitely worth a watch.

Binged on the new Unforgotten, season 5.
Pretty good, some interesting twists.
Maybe could have lightened up the heavy handed political statement about Thatcherism, though.

Finished it now. All in all it was very good. The scene where Sunny and Jess shared their personal problems brought a tear to my eye. But I agree, the victimhood stuff was a bit OTT. Antisemitism excuses upskirting? The slave trade explains a Nigerian family condemning a young girl who was raped?

I've moved on to Chloe. Man, can the lead tell some porkies! She puts Gary Sparrow to shame.

I finally got around to CHLOE. I think it was a half-decent idea ultimately wasted. It had me intrigued until about half-way through and then just became too convoluted... Then, it eventually ended in a bit of a whimper.

I'm two episodes in of S02, no obvious twists yet. Could easily be a continuation of season one so far.

I got the last episode, 10 minutes in I gave up on it.
I think it is a bit more like a US drama where the stars are the story. Too much time is spent on their faces and bodies, and too little on the actual steps taken to solve the crime. Throw in a little sex tease for titillation. About only reason tension was when the guy was in her hotel room when she came back. Him driving up on them while they were at the abandoned building had possibilities, but the director didn't wring much tension out of it.
We knew who did it very early on, but there was precious little in the way of actual policework narrative. Where was the tension in tracking him down? Granted I prefer crime shows like Manhunt.
They go with the cliche 'talk to the jailed psychopath for his insights', and spend a long time with an angry tirade. Is that character somehow connected and will show up in S03?
Unforgotten Mark II definitely better.

I watched Trigger Point S01. Not bad, interesting twists. They spend a lot of time with the lead characters psyche.

Also watching The Responder. Not much in the way of crime solving. A dark, character study of a guy spiraling down. Excellent acting by Freeman. Not bad, in its own way.

And tried the first two episodes of Grace. Professionally made, but not spectacular. Worth it once, but not a rewatchable.

Blue Lights episode one is pretty good.
It follows 3 very different probationary cops in Belfast.
It’s no frills gritty police drama set in a dreary and dangerous backdrop with interesting characters and a decent set up for the plot so far.

I’ll definitely persevere with this one.

It’s no frills gritty police drama set in a dreary and dangerous backdrop with interesting characters and a decent set up for the plot so far.

Great first episode with plenty of potential.

I visited Belfast for the first time last year. The spot where they were sat in the car next to the peace wall was about where we stopped to take a few photos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a good one. 4 eps in and it's got a lot of consistency across all episodes so far. Characters are fantastic and well played.

Great first episode with plenty of potential.

I visited Belfast for the first time last year. The spot where they were sat in the car next to the peace wall was about where we stopped to take a few photos.
It's a good one. 4 eps in and it's got a lot of consistency across all episodes so far. Characters are fantastic and well played.

For anyone looking for where 'Blue Lights' airs, all 6 episodes are on SBS on Demand this Thursday (May-18), while airing weekly on SBS's main channel from next Wednesday 24 May.

I just finished up a series called 'BETTER' on Binge/Foxtel. Only 5 eps, with Andrew Buchan of Broadchurch fame being the most well-known actor in it.

It wasn't awful and actually had some good moments, but it's hardly original (bent cop works with druglord).

The crazy thing about it was the final episode. Everything ramped up in episode 4 and then episode 5 was an hour's worth of what appeared to be character study. It felt very anti-climactic, although at least the template was far from followed in that regard.

just watched the first ep. I’m gonna enjoy this.
perfect timing too cause I needed something to watch.

thanks for the heads up :thumbsu:
I’m up to Ep 5 and it maintains its consistency

The guy that played Littlefinger in Game of Thrones continues his great acting as the Dad

I’m up to Ep 5 and it maintains its consistency

The guy that played Littlefinger in Game of Thrones continues his great acting as the Dad
I haven’t seen GoT but know him from Love/Hate.
Daredevil was the other familiar face.

car dealer mum is a great character and really well acted.

KIN: This 2021 Irish series has been briefly mentioned in this thread. The plot (rival drug gangs, blah blah) isn't exactly original, but is solid enough. Why I really liked this is the cast & acting. There is barely a false note from any performance of each of the lead 7 actors and they get fairly equal time between them. You really get in and under their skins and the weird'ish family dynamic is engrossing because of that.

I mentioned 'Kin' a couple of pages back (see above). I really enjoyed it. I believe there is a Season 2 being made also!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back