FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Remove this Banner Ad

Why can't we make similar shows here in OZ?

Damn good question. I saw 5 minutes of Love Child last nigh, which is not a police show, but it is Australian. It makes the Young Doctors and Skyways look like quality.

Sadly, if this show is an indicator of what Australian TV can achieve then why even bother?

OK, a current show worth watching is the Seven Types of Ambiguity. Proves Aussie TV can be well made.

To ensure on topic, enjoying River on FTA at the moment.

"Little Boy Blue" anyone?

Just finished this ITV four part series. Some will recognise actors from Boardwalk Empire, SOA, Mildred Pierce, etc.

The story about an 11 yo kid being shot dead in a pub carpark and the subsequent police investigation and the court case. Pretty serious statement about grief management and how crime affects people depending on which side of the law you belong.

Highly recommended.

Started Happy Valley. Basically British Fargo minus the formalist stylistic touches. Pretty good if bland.

I can see no similarity between HV and Fargo at all! In fact, I'd put them poles apart. HV is above all a realistic story with believable real-life characters. if you think it's bland, well, just keep watching! Laughs are few and far between.

Fargo is, like the film, a humourous and heavily-stylised series which depicts fundamentally not-very-bright, though not really intrinsically evil people spiral deeper and deeper into a mess of their own making.

To be clear, I think both shows are excellent, in their very different ways.

Finished Little Boy Blue. It blended drama with a documentary feel very well. Stephen Graham is one of my favourite actors of all time
and the scene of him swinging the baseball bat around made me lol brought a flashback to his Boardwalk Empire days as Capone.

Just finished Line of Duty season 4. After the first episode I didn't return for a month because it didn't do much for me but picked it up again watching the whole thing in one go and as usual it delivered. Very addictive show and Thandie Newton backed up well after her superb performance in Westworld :thumbsu:

Just finished Line of Duty season 4. After the first episode I didn't return for a month because it didn't do much for me but picked it up again watching the whole thing in one go and as usual it delivered. Very addictive show and Thandie Newton backed up well after her superb performance in Westworld :thumbsu:

Bewdy, didn't know that was back on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't think LoD S4 was anywhere near as strong as the previous ones. And the daftness and implausibilities did multiply. If one of your co-workers had a gangrenous arm more or less on the point of falling off, don't you think you notice? :p Still enjoyable enough, though.

I'm watching The Loch and Fearless. Neither are brilliant, but OK. Yer woman Siobhan Finneran from Happy Valley (and Benidorm, of course! :) ) is a top actress. I haven't been watching Broken, although I suspect it's better than either.

The two best shows currently in the UK by a mile are the latest Fargo and The Handmaid's Tale.

Three Girls

BBC series in 3 parts about the grooming and abuse of minors.

Pretty distasteful topic but again it throws a terrible light on policing and justice in the UK. The closing credits reveal how widespread the problem is.

Don't know if been said but just watched the 2 seasons of vexed on Netflix. I enjoyed it simple formula but I enjoyed it. Also does the thin blue line count? Hilarious show.

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

I didn't think LoD S4 was anywhere near as strong as the previous ones. And the daftness and implausibilities did multiply. If one of your co-workers had a gangrenous arm more or less on the point of falling off, don't you think you notice? :p Still enjoyable enough, though.

I'm watching The Loch and Fearless. Neither are brilliant, but OK. Yer woman Siobhan Finneran from Happy Valley (and Benidorm, of course! :) ) is a top actress. I haven't been watching Broken, although I suspect it's better than either.

The two best shows currently in the UK by a mile are the latest Fargo and The Handmaid's Tale.

If I were to rank the UK series I've watched this year it would be

Broken
Fearless
Line Of Duty 4
Marcella
Happy Valley
The Loch

But all are worth a look IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back