FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Remove this Banner Ad

The Brits do it better then anyone when they get it right IMO.

Currently watching season three of Unforgotten, one of the best series of recent years, and this latest one is again excellent.

Also watching Deep State with Mark Strong, bit convoluted but quite good just the same, plus Marcella and Killing Eve.

Agree about Unforgotten, it's been consistently good. Big show in the UK now is Bodyguard, but Line of Duty writer Jed Mercurio. Watched the first couple, and gave upon it, found the daftness just getting too irritating. Plus, some really cringeworthy scenes. Plenty here disagree with me, mind.

Just started Happy Valley. 2 episodes in, fantastic stuff I’m hooked.

British TV is just miles ahead of anything I’ve seen before. It’s all so real and gritty. Can’t believe it’s only been the last six months that I’ve got into it.

Just started Happy Valley. 2 episodes in, fantastic stuff I’m hooked.

British TV is just miles ahead of anything I’ve seen before. It’s all so real and gritty. Can’t believe it’s only been the last six months that I’ve got into it.

it's not all that good, though! Happy Valley was excellent, but shows of that standard don't come along every five minutes.

it's not all that good, though! Happy Valley was excellent, but shows of that standard don't come along every five minutes.
Finished season 1 last night. So good.

Have smashed though The Missing, Line of Duty, Broadchurch, halfway through Luther, Poldark and HV.

On my to watch list: Wallander, Hinterland, River, Bodyguard, Vera, Unforgotton, Whitechapel, Life on Mars. A few haha!

Smashed through S1 of Marcella as I’d heard decent things about it. Was okay, but a clear tier below the others I’ve watched recently. Couldn’t really form any connection to the characters. Might wait a bit before starting the second season.

Unforgotten very good, and I agree Marcella was very much second division stuff. Hinterland is almost parodically bleak; they showed it here in Welsh with English sub-titles, which I thought was the most realistic (most, although not all conversations are in Welsh, which is how it ias in that part of Wales). Beautiful countryside, though. And it does feature the lovely, lovely Mared.

Of the others mentioned (in my opinion):

River and Whitechapel - both daft, and not in a good way.

Wallander (if it's the Ken Branagh ones): OK, but the Scandi originals are much better. The Norwegians did different series with two very different actors playing Wallander. Both are better than the British version imo, but yeah, worth watching certainly if you can't catch the originals.

Bodyguard - I think I've already said my piece on that.

Life On Mars - Good fun.

I would like to add one to the list for you to keep an eye out for. Just finished here, and for whatever reason didn't make that much of a splash, but I would highly recommend Informer. Nominally the story of a young lad being co-opted by anti-terror police into being an informant for them, this is much more, and more better than the bare bones suggest. There are no lazy stereotypes, and all the characters, even the minor ones, are fully drawn and credible human beings, not merely devices to advance the plot. Watching it, you realise just how rare that is in modern drama. Stars the always excellent Paddy Considine.

Anyone on here watched Hinterland ? I’m currently giving the first couple episodes a go.

Yep seen them all.

Happy valley.
Board church.
Shetland.
Line of duty.
Wallander are worth a watch imho.

I didn't mind strike for something a little different not as dark as some of the other shows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unforgotten very good, and I agree Marcella was very much second division stuff. Hinterland is almost parodically bleak; they showed it here in Welsh with English sub-titles, which I thought was the most realistic (most, although not all conversations are in Welsh, which is how it ias in that part of Wales). Beautiful countryside, though. And it does feature the lovely, lovely Mared.

Of the others mentioned (in my opinion):

River and Whitechapel - both daft, and not in a good way.

Wallander (if it's the Ken Branagh ones): OK, but the Scandi originals are much better. The Norwegians did different series with two very different actors playing Wallander. Both are better than the British version imo, but yeah, worth watching certainly if you can't catch the originals.

Bodyguard - I think I've already said my piece on that.

Life On Mars - Good fun.

I would like to add one to the list for you to keep an eye out for. Just finished here, and for whatever reason didn't make that much of a splash, but I would highly recommend Informer. Nominally the story of a young lad being co-opted by anti-terror police into being an informant for them, this is much more, and more better than the bare bones suggest. There are no lazy stereotypes, and all the characters, even the minor ones, are fully drawn and credible human beings, not merely devices to advance the plot. Watching it, you realise just how rare that is in modern drama. Stars the always excellent Paddy Considine.
Brilliant recap, really enjoyed that. Will be watching Informer when I can.

Just signed up to Stan to watch a few more of these. Watched ep 1 of Unforgotton just now, instantly in love with it.

Bought Unforgotton seasons 1&2 the other day. Finished S1 in a few days, just brilliant.

Watched the first season of Whitechapel, loved it. Immediately hooked. Started season 2 today, looks like another belter.

Shetland season 1 didn’t do it for me, storyline didn’t hook me, but I will keep going as I think there’s enough there.

I wasn't Shetland's biggest fan, but as I recall, it improved quite a bit after a slow first season, so I'd stick with it. I can't share your enthusiasm for Whitechapel, but glad you liked Unforgotten. The two leads are very good, but decent writing breathes life into the stories.

Bought Unforgotton seasons 1&2 the other day. Finished S1 in a few days, just brilliant.

Watched the first season of Whitechapel, loved it. Immediately hooked. Started season 2 today, looks like another belter.

Shetland season 1 didn’t do it for me, storyline didn’t hook me, but I will keep going as I think there’s enough there.

Thanks for the recommendation on Unforgotten.I'm half way through the first series and enjoying it. I like the slow pace but it's not dull because there is something significant each episode. And like most of the good British shows they don't pad it out. They go 4, 6 or 8 shows - whatever the content deserves.

I wasn't Shetland's biggest fan, but as I recall, it improved quite a bit after a slow first season, so I'd stick with it. I can't share your enthusiasm for Whitechapel, but glad you liked Unforgotten. The two leads are very good, but decent writing breathes life into the stories.
I didn’t get into the first two parter, but really enjoyed Raven Black. Netflix is out of order so just watched Blue Lightning...not a fan. Inconsistent show, hit and miss.

Thanks for the recommendation on Unforgotten.I'm half way through the first series and enjoying it. I like the slow pace but it's not dull because there is something significant each episode. And like most of the good British shows they don't pad it out. They go 4, 6 or 8 shows - whatever the content deserves.
Started S2 last night, think it’ll be another good one. And so true about the length of seasons, they don’t pad them out.

Loving bullet proof at the moment. Great cast. Good script. Very enjoyable on foxtel

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back