FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread previously, but has anyone seen 2016 series 'In Plain Sight' which stars Martin 'Line of Duty' Compston as a real-life Scottish serial killer? If so, is it recommended? Only 3 hours worth, so worth a watch either way, I guess.

Last edited:
The guy puctured in your avatar just passed away:

Oh. Thanks for that. Deadly Earnest sure gave some kids some Friday night fun in the days of B&W TV.

RIP, Ralph Baker.

I'm only 8 years behind, but I just finished up 'Inside Men'. Really liked it. Not much of a mystery or anything, but thought the 3 lead actors were all great. Definitely recommended to anyone who missed it.

In the latest episode of "Davey is 8 Years Behind"; I just finished up 'Good Cop'.

Wow, what a series. Really liked the way it was structured over the 4 episodes. It often changed gears within each episode to really keep on your toes as a viewer. And to echo quite a few posters a lot earlier in this thread, it so needed & deserved a 2nd season!

Last edited:
So, for something "a little" more current, I've got through 2 seasons of a series that I don't think has been mentioned at all throughout this thread:

SAFE HOUSE

It's an anthology type series and the premise is actually half-decent; ex-cops (with a past, of course) semi-retire to rural areas and run safe houses for witnesses in danger. You all could probably write the script yourselves from there. The 1st season stars Christopher 'Doctor Who' Eccleston, while the 2nd season stars Stephen 'True Blood' Moyer.

Like I said, the premise is quite good and the extended cast do a good enough job as well. The writing is so-so though, especially when it comes to both sets of finales, which leave a lot to be desired.

The 1st season is more straight-forward, while the 2nd season is faster-paced but more ludicrous. Thankfully, each season is only 4 x45 mins, so the 3 hours per season breeze by fairly well.

So, for something "a little" more current, I've got through 2 seasons of a series that I don't think has been mentioned at all throughout this thread:

SAFE HOUSE

It's an anthology type series and the premise is actually half-decent; ex-cops (with a past, of course) semi-retire to rural areas and run safe houses for witnesses in danger. You all could probably write the script yourselves from there. The 1st season stars Christopher 'Doctor Who' Eccleston, while the 2nd season stars Stephen 'True Blood' Moyer.

Like I said, the premise is quite good and the extended cast do a good enough job as well. The writing is so-so though, especially when it comes to both sets of finales, which leave a lot to be desired.

The 1st season is more straight-forward, while the 2nd season is faster-paced but more ludicrous. Thankfully, each season is only 4 x45 mins, so the 3 hours per season breeze by fairly well.
Sounds worthy of a watch mate. How can I view this, Netflix?

TRACES begins tomorrow (Thursday July-30) on Foxtel's BBCfirst:

i watched this. it's not very good. it's poorly written and the cheap camera tricks and music they use in an attempt to build suspense just make it worse.
also, Martin Compston has an extremely punchable head. i used to think it was because he wore a waistcoat in Line of Duty but even without the waistcoat i still get the urge to hit him.

i watched this. it's not very good. it's poorly written and the cheap camera tricks and music they use in an attempt to build suspense just make it worse.
also, Martin Compston has an extremely punchable head. i used to think it was because he wore a waistcoat in Line of Duty but even without the waistcoat i still get the urge to hit him.

Haha.

Imagine a line-up: Martin Compston - Toby Greene - James Sicily

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of Kelly Mac, was rewatching "State of Play" and she pops up in it in a central role. Totally forgot she was in it.

"State of Play" is a good series for something short and sweet, only 6 eps. As well as Kelly Mac, there is a very young James Macavoy and the Hound from GoT looking like a giant.

Just watched this myself. I think you're understating it's quality. I'm not surprised the Americans pinched it and made it into a huge-budget movie. This is a great series and yes, KellyMac & Macavoy look so damn young in it. I still don't know how John Simm kept screwing up to not become a real big star himself. He has just kept on treading water at the same level for about 20 years now.

Martin Compston has an extremely punchable head.
I fully support the punchability of Martin Compston, Inch-High Private Eye!

Hey gents, here's another new UK series... Unsure who's in it, but I think you should give it a go!

In all seriousness, this may or may not be good and I haven't checked it out yet... And yeah, your mate is everywhere!

not too bad, good and awesome.
i think that at least warrants watching season 1.
thanks for the input guys :thumbsu:

You watched Luther - Season 1 yet PH?

I'm going through it myself. 4 eps down. Liking it for the most part, especially the Idris Elba & Ruth Wilson characters (with the usual able backup from Steven Mackintosh & Warren Brown).

I've got an issue with 2 things so far though:

(1) Saskia Reeves looks terribly miscast as Luther's boss. I haven't seen her in anything else, so she may just be a crap actress. Either way, they should have picked someone better for this role.

(2) Some of Luther's deductions are bordering on super-human. I actually think American shows do the weekly storylines better, whereas UK shows do the short-season story-arcs better. When UK shows do the weekly storylines, everything seems rushed. For example; In ep 4, Luther deduces that the female victims clearly trust their murderer. That's a fine deduction... BUT then immediately (correctly) guessing that it's a taxi driver is one helluva reach! English taxi drivers must be a lot different to Australian ones.

Hey gents, here's another new UK series... Unsure who's in it, but I think you should give it a go!

In all seriousness, this may or may not be good and I haven't checked it out yet... And yeah, your mate is everywhere!

doesn't really grab me but i'll give it a go if others recommend it.
i sat through The Deceived recently so I guess I'm at the point where I'll watch just about anything. it was trash.

You watched Luther - Season 1 yet PH?

I'm going through it myself. 4 eps down. Liking it for the most part, especially the Idris Elba & Ruth Wilson characters (with the usual able backup from Steven Mackintosh & Warren Brown).

I've got an issue with 2 things so far though:

(1) Saskia Reeves looks terribly miscast as Luther's boss. I haven't seen her in anything else, so she may just be a crap actress. Either way, they should have picked someone better for this role.

(2) Some of Luther's deductions are bordering on super-human. I actually think American shows do the weekly storylines better, whereas UK shows do the short-season story-arcs better. When UK shows do the weekly storylines, everything seems rushed. For example; In ep 4, Luther deduces that the female victims clearly trust their murderer. That's a fine deduction... BUT then immediately (correctly) guessing that it's a taxi driver is one helluva reach! English taxi drivers must be a lot different to Australian ones.
I've actually watched all 5....had a lot of free time of late.
I enjoyed the first 3, was bored by the fourth and the last one was an improvement but felt more like a bad Guy Ritchie movie than a psychological drama.

If you think Luthers got some skills now keep watching and you'll be seriously impressed. the characters, situations and his deductions gradually become more and more implausible.
not a fan of the way the Luther character developed over time either.

all in all it's a good bit of entertainment but there's nothing there to make it remarkable.

the producers must have agreed with you about Saskia Reeves cause she's gone after S1.

The Accident was shown here quite some time back. it's a bit bleak, but well written, Sarah L is very good as always. Also in it; Joanna Scanlon (Viv from No Offence).

It took me a while, but I finally got around to 'The Shadow Line'.

I thought it was original in all the good ways. Very tense at times, especially through the characters portrayed by Stephen Rea & Rafe Spall (in polar opposite ways).

Gee, it didn't exactly end on a happy note!

Just finished a 4 part series called Flesh and Blood. IMDB synopsis - Lives of three siblings are disrupted when their recently widowed mother declares she's in love with a new man. Tangled web of secrets, lies, rivalries and betrayals eventually leads to a murder.

Murder meets soap. Wouldn't call it anything better than average but in these days of slim pickings, take what you can get. The last scene reminds me of something which has been done before, but it suggests room for another season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back