FTA-TV Uk cop shows - shadow line, top boy and more

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the first of DES I found it interesting.

I remember watching a doco on Denis Nilson on serial killer Sunday a while back.

I don't understand if you kill people why move to a upstairs flat.
Makes it harder to get rid of their bodies .
That just my thoughts .

Just started Des. Cold-hearted that one. He's got IDGAF written all over him.

I don't think I'm stretching the boundaries of this thread by recommending PENNYWORTH.

While it's probably financed from the U.S, it's made by a Brit & contains mostly U.K actors... And there's cops in it.

Tbh, I wasn't expecting too much from it, but really enjoyed it overall. I do feel it is best enjoyed by basically forgetting much of the Batman universe.

If this was a proper English series, it would have been 8 episodes tops (not the 10 it is), so there are some filler eps.

It's got some well-placed over-the-top violence, some great humour and a story that kept flowing well enough.

Hustle: i loved it. it's a tad repetitive with every episode following a similar formula but the writing is good and the characters are endearing.

give it a go

Just finished the 1st season and you absolutely nailed it PH; 'Hustle' is so fun to watch. As you state, the episode formulas were a bit similar, but at least over 1 season that wasn't too much of an issue.

I can't believe there haven't been too many similar type shows both before and after its run, considering the success of movies such as The Sting & The Oceans 11 series.

The casting is near-perfect with Lester, Warren & Robert freakin Vaughn all sensational. It's great to see Jaime Murray pre-Dexter & Gotham too.

Just finished the 1st season and you absolutely nailed it PH; 'Hustle' is so fun to watch. As you state, the episode formulas were a bit similar, but at least over 1 season that wasn't too much of an issue.

I can't believe there haven't been too many similar type shows both before and after its run, considering the success of movies such as The Sting & The Oceans 11 series.

The casting is near-perfect with Lester, Warren & Robert freakin Vaughn all sensational. It's great to see Jaime Murray pre-Dexter & Gotham too.

From memory I watched the first season & that was the problem - as well as it was done, I'd seen all the cons before. Had no idea it ran for so long though, might have to revisit but who has time these days;)

Top Boy is incredibly brilliant. I'd never heard of it and watched the new season a few weeks back, then went back to the originals. Didnt affect the outcome. Bravo to all involved in that series. Seriously good TV!

I re-watched the most recent series a few months back. It is a seriously well written show. The multiple plot twists in the last episode were real "holy s*** I didn't see that coming" moments

Although a bit sci-fi, easily my favourite English cop show. Thought it was absolutely fantastic. I have watched one episode of the spin-off, Ashes To Ashes but haven't followed it up.

I haven't seen much of the UK life on mars.I seen abit of the US version music was cool but I wasn't hooked on the show.

Not much new on the UK crime shows bit disappointing.

I guess Rona has not helped making anything new.

I haven't seen much of the UK life on mars.I seen abit of the US version music was cool but I wasn't hooked on the show.

Not much new on the UK crime shows bit disappointing.

I guess Rona has not helped making anything new.

I think if I watched some US versions before I saw their UK counterparts I'd probably like them more. The music in the UK version is very good. It also gives life to that typical UK 60s cop stereotype - "he doesn't do it by the book but by gee he gets results" sort of thing

Honour.
a new ITV two part drama about the police investigation into the honour killing of Banaz Mahmod.
it's pretty good despite being a touch melodramtic in parts. Keeley Hawes, as always, puts in a solid performance.
i know the Brits like to keep things short but i reckon they missed an opportunity here. there's so much scope for more depth in the characters and story.

'Honour' actually popped up on Channel 7 last week (it was the sacrifice against State of Origin). It's available on 7Plus until the end of November, I think. Definitely worth a watch.

Agree with pretty much everything you state PH. Quite good, but it probably needed to be 4 x 45 minute episodes (as opposed to 95 minutes all up). I think that everything from the investigation to the interviews & discoveries could have been much more dramatic if the series was doubled in length.

As for the real life story; Very sad, tough to believe, etc, etc...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I finally got around to Code of a Killer from 2015.

Good series, although it's basically an extended movie at 130 minutes in length. This was another one of those times where I think 4x 60 minute episodes were required to flesh everything out.

John Simm is one busy man, that's for sure.

I started watching London Spy on Netflix...I was only a few eps in... Well the campaigners took it off the list....F××k off.

Just finished this up. Fascinating series... Kinda gives off a flawed masterpiece vibe in that it is exceptional in parts, but patchy in others. The central mystery & spy thriller moments are basically an afterthought to the underlying themes.

It was rather interesting that it was made with so many lengthy scenes. Depending on how effective each of these was, it basically made the episode either fly by, or come off as too languidly paced.

Come the end of the day though, it may all come down to one's thoughts of Whishaw as an actor. Imo, he's great. And the bugger will never look a day over 30 in his life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back