UK UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson - A loco recordarentur operum verborumque eius

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like BoJo is becoming Prime Minister.

For how long is anybody's guess.

When I first arrived in Britain in 2004 there were two public figures that were widely acclaimed in the media and by the public at large, who seemed to me to be dodgier than three bob notes, even though I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

Jimmy Saville and Boris Johnson.

Boris really is a hateful character - albeit not as bad as Saville - and only the truly credulous or nasty are taken by, or even worse, choose to support, this charlatan.

I am confident that history shall bear out my view - his Prime Ministership will be a shortlived disaster.

Looks like BoJo is becoming Prime Minister.

For how long is anybody's guess.

When I first arrived in Britain in 2004 there were two public figures that were widely acclaimed in the media and by the public at large, who seemed to me to be dodgier than three bob notes, even though I couldn't quite put my finger on why.

Jimmy Saville and Boris Johnson.

Boris really is a hateful character - albeit not as bad as Saville - and only the truly credulous or nasty are taken by, or even worse, choose to support, this charlatan.

I am confident that history shall bear out my view - his Prime Ministership will be a shortlived disaster.

They both seem to work well with children!

_86130373_86130372.jpg 151015121018-boris-johnson-full-169.jpg

Hard Brexit it is then.

The chance of any deal is down 99%

He'll face no confidence before that happens, and lose I reckon.

He'll face no confidence before that happens, and lose I reckon.

No chance. He's too popular with the Old Etonian brigade who run the Tory party, too charismatic to lose the public, too feared by plenty in the media and is faced by an opposition party that is too divided.

He'll still be PM when the next General Election occurs in 2022.

(That's not an endorsement, by the way - I think he's a slimeball. But he's a brilliant powerbroker).

No chance. He's too popular with the Old Etonian brigade who run the Tory party, too charismatic to lose the public, too feared by plenty in the media and is faced by an opposition party that is too divided.

He'll still be PM when the next General Election occurs in 2022.

(That's not an endorsement, by the way - I think he's a slimeball. But he's a brilliant powerbroker).

He's really not, if he were he would have been PM in 2016.

He's only getting a chance now because the situation is beyond desperate for the Tories.

He's not popular outside of people who vote Conservative. Leave winning with him campaigning for Leave ****ed him with metropolitan voters.

He's not popular outside of people who vote Conservative. Leave winning with him campaigning for Leave ****** him with metropolitan voters.

I suspect the plan will be to campaign in concert with the Brexit Party.

Brexit Party targets Labour Leave and Tory Remain (what's left) seats and leaves most Tory seats alone.

He's really not, if he were he would have been PM in 2016.

He's only getting a chance now because the situation is beyond desperate for the Tories.

Examples?

To the first quoted post: 2016 was a poisoned chalice. Actually worse than getting the Prime Ministership now, because there was so much to lose in Brexit negotiations. Johnson announced he wouldn't run because he knew what a farce it would be - and so a Remainer had the job of negotiating Brexit on behalf of a deeply divided nation, following a referendum that was unnecessary.

He's getting the job now in part because the path is seemingly inevitable (hard Brexit in less than six months' time), he has three years before facing the polls (DUP would back him in any no confidence motion), the backbenchers love him and he can spin a message.

To the second: his entire rise from raffish, scruffy, error-prone journalist to Mayor of London, to elected MP, to Foreign Secretary to Prime Minister - in spite of very few actual achievements and plenty of damaging gaffes (particularly as Foreign Secretary) - is astonishing.

To the first quoted post: 2016 was a poisoned chalice. Actually worse than getting the Prime Ministership now, because there was so much to lose in Brexit negotiations. Johnson announced he wouldn't run because he knew what a farce it would be - and so a Remainer had the job of negotiating Brexit on behalf of a deeply divided nation, following a referendum that was unnecessary.

This is some revisionism on a grand scale, he got knifed by Gove.

To the second: his entire rise from raffish, scruffy, error-prone journalist to Mayor of London, to elected MP, to Foreign Secretary to Prime Minister - in spite of very few actual achievements and plenty of damaging gaffes (particularly as Foreign Secretary) - is astonishing.

It really isn't, he's a ruling class Eton educated Tory insider.

Cameron became Prime Minister having done nothing in "the real world" beyond some PR for a TV show production company.

I think you are in love with Boris Johnson and want to pash him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is some revisionism on a grand scale, he got knifed by Gove.

...to whom he's now returning the favour in spades.

The man is coated in Teflon and he's backed by old-guard Tory networks.

The reason that bullshit artists like Boris Johnson succeed so frequently is because people desperately underestimate them. He's extraordinarily durable.

It really isn't, he's a ruling class Eton educated Tory insider.

Cameron became Prime Minister having done nothing in "the real world" beyond some PR for a TV show production company.

I think you are in love with Boris Johnson and want to pash him.

Read my post above, you numpty. I've addressed that.

Bullcrap baffles brains and he's a prime example. Add in the landed gentry background and he's the type of mix who beguiles so many in south-east England - the very same people who also get elected to Parliament, rise to the top in the City and decide the Tory leadership.

There's no chance they'll turf him before the General Election, which I'm guessing is where you're going with 'short-lived disaster'. I don't doubt the 'disaster' aspect - it's the 'short-lived' part you're dangerously underestimating.

...to whom he's now returning the favour in spades.

The man is coated in Teflon and he's backed by old-guard Tory networks.

The reason that ******** artists like Boris Johnson succeed so frequently is because people desperately underestimate them. He's extraordinarily durable.

Agreed that he repaid the favour to Gove.

But again, he's only getting seriously considered now because the Tory party has half gone mad, and the remaining sane half are even more scared of Corbyn than they are Boris.

Hitler went from growing up in some crappy little town and university reject to Chancellor. "brilliant powerbroker" and "astonishing" aren't words people typically use for him.

Read my post above, you numpty. I've addressed that.

Bullcrap baffles brains and he's a prime example. Add in the landed gentry background and he's the type of mix who beguiles so many in south-east England - the very same people who also get elected to Parliament, rise to the top in the City and decide the Tory leadership.

There's no chance they'll turf him before the General Election, which I'm guessing is where you're going with 'short-lived disaster'. I don't doubt the 'disaster' aspect - it's the 'short-lived' part you're dangerously underestimating.

They won't ditch before the GE agreed, but history shows that the Tories struggle to win majority government as is, so this next one, wow, especially with FPTP.

With the rise of the Brexit Party, its very plausible that Labour ends up the largest party in the Commons, but without a majority.

I wonder if Nicola Sturgeon would agree to support Brexit if it came with a another referendum for Scotland on independence for example.

Agreed that he repaid the favour to Gove.

But again, he's only getting seriously considered now because the Tory party has half gone mad, and the remaining sane half are even more scared of Corbyn than they are Boris.

Are they scared of Corbyn, or scared of whatever mix of populists will fill the current political vacuum? If it all really does turn south between now and 2022, then there may be a third major party to consider.

They won't ditch before the GE agreed, but history shows that the Tories struggle to win majority government as is, so this next one, wow, especially with FPTP.

With the rise of the Brexit Party, its very plausible that Labour ends up the largest party in the Commons, but without a majority.

I wonder if Nicola Sturgeon would agree to support Brexit if it came with a another referendum for Scotland on independence for example.

Yeah, they could be in all sorts. But if the Boris Johnson story up until now tells us anything, then it's his ability to bail out and leave others in the lurch - personal life, political life etc. If the polls are awful in early 2022, he'll announce he's departing the Prime Ministership, 'time to move on to other challenges' etc - and leave someone else to clean up the mess.

The Scottish Nationalist conundrum is interesting. I reckon that's a plausible hypothesis.

Labour would if they didn't have a Muslim terrorist supporter in charge. Boris will do the left a favour and wipe the floor with Corbyn.

Going to be several months of hilarious viewing. Someone should slip him an exploding cigar to complete the reverse Churchill parody.

Watch him crash the UK out in October, before selling the farm to Trump (most likely including putting the NHS on the table) on a US trade deal out of desperation for anything even remotely resembling a good result.

Labour would if they didn't have a Muslim terrorist supporter in charge. Boris will do the left a favour and wipe the floor with Corbyn.
Yet another fabrication. Not good form from you who stands by a war criminal who has been responsible for maiming and killing thousands of innocent people, including women and children, and who is facing multiple corruption charges.

Boris is an eccentric schlemiel who should appeal to the British raving right conservatives in the same that the congenital liar appeals to the knuckle draggers in America. So I expect him to win the leadership and, with any luck, finish off the work of Theresa and completely * the country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back