UK UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson - A loco recordarentur operum verborumque eius

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't there quite a large generational divide also? When I used to live in England and Tony Blair first won his election victory in 1997 and again in 2001 I think I'm right in saying he had a pretty good and even coalition of support from both young and older voters. I also think I'm right that in the 1970s and 1980s Margaret Thatcher was more popular among the youngest voters who were seeking more urban professional middle class opportunities whereas the strongest support of the Labour leaders of those days were the elderly industrial working class folks in the small towns who were retiring/dying out. The two parties have flipped that on its head now.

Yes, there is a strong generational divide in that they Boris-style Conservative Party aims mainly at older, almost exclusively white, working and lower middle class voters. Most live in small towns (sometimes suburbs) rather than cities. Not all of them are old, however, and many of them represent a shift in working class life towards self-employment. Many own their own homes (albeit in areas where home ownership isn’t as costly) and most are ‘getting by’ economically - and very much down on those who are doing less well.

The most significant change from the industrial working class Labour voter to the ‘white van’ Boris voter is cultural: there isn’t either the community spirit or the aspirational quality of the traditional working class area. These voters tend to be people who blame others, mainly immigrants, for their frustrations and disappointments. They have extremely authoritarian views but scream that they are being oppressed when they are asked to make any sort of sacrifice. My summary of this type of Boris voter is as follows: they claim to be patriotic, put Union Jacks or St George flags on their vans and then throw litter out of the window!

Polls aren't looking good for him anymore
As much as I hate to say it, I'll be shocked if he doesn't stay prime minister at the next election.

Hope I'm wrong. Not that I'm a big fan of Keir to be honest, but his ideals are a fair bit closer to mine than any Tory. British society isn't close to ready to someone who is my ideal PM, so you have to be prepared for slowly slowly. Keir is - relatively speaking - a competent individual too.

But competency is a double edged sword in politics and that view depends entirely on who is the viewer and who is the viewee. I.e when people wanted trump removed, I was quite comfortable with him being in the oval office with his chaotic style of leadership. Mike pence, however, is a laser focused poly and no free thinking liberal would want him in power.

As much as I hate to say it, I'll be shocked if he doesn't stay prime minister at the next election.

Hope I'm wrong. Not that I'm a big fan of Keir to be honest, but his ideals are a fair bit closer to mine than any Tory. British society isn't close to ready to someone who is my ideal PM, so you have to be prepared for slowly slowly. Keir is - relatively speaking - a competent individual too.

But competency is a double edged sword in politics and that view depends entirely on who is the viewer and who is the viewee. I.e when people wanted trump removed, I was quite comfortable with him being in the oval office with his chaotic style of leadership. Mike pence, however, is a laser focused poly and no free thinking liberal would want him in power.

I recall using exactly the same argument with an American friend. He was desperate to have Trump impeached, but I countered that with ‘President Pence’ - a religious maniac who also seems dangerously ‘normal’, personable and all-American.

The Cabinet reshuffle we have just had indicates an even further tilt to the populist right. The appeal is to the type of older, socially conservative (almost exclusively) white voter who identifies as working class but owns his or her own home, is comfortably off and hostile to immigrants and (fictitious) ‘welfare scroungers’. Along with this is hostility to (fictitious) ‘liberal elites’ who are betraying ‘the will of the people’. There is a rich vein of cultural philistinism as well - the arts should be bland and accessible to ‘ordinary’ or [white] ‘working class’ people.

It is a miserable, inward-looking world view and it is scary to see it becoming so culturally and politically dominant since Brexit - which has now evolved into a ‘war on woke’.

Another aspect of this is that Boris has, through his words and actions, sent out the message that it’s acceptable to be selfish, feckless and openly dishonest. Acceptance of such behaviours has percolated into popular culture. I work in property management and can already see the effects.

This shouldn’t be seen as a normal Tory government. It is a right-wing populist government. The average member of the Conservative Party these days is closer to the National Front in the 1970s or your One Nation party than he/she is to the traditional Tory.

… And don’t be deceived by the apparent ‘diversity’. The women in this government are if anything to the right of the men and the British Indians in the government express support for Modi’s ‘Hindu Nationalist’ administration in Delhi.

The loss of Scottish seats to the SNP has made labour structurally unable to get a majority.

So really the competition is to be opposition leader. And to be effective not just ‘me too’ in the hope Boris turns from mildly incompetent to earth shatteringly so.

so JC has it over Starmer easily. Much more effective opposition

Over here in the UK there’s massive worker shortages, and those in charge seem dismayed that it will be ‘inflationary’ etc etc

no one is celebrating wages might be moving upwards finally, and the workers have a bit more sway, and casualisation a little on the nose.

By sweeping it under the carpet you mean the story leading most news sites globally.
Cmon Goughy, the abc article doesn't even mention his background or ideology, plus the bbc keep repeating the term "british national" to bury the lede.

Cmon Goughy, the abc article doesn't even mention his background or ideology, plus the bbc keep repeating the term "british national" to bury the lede.
What exactly would you like them to say? Anyway, I thought all lives mattered and background is unimportant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is some irony that the only right wing group the left like are the extremist Muslims who very much want lefties dead because of their believing in equality.
There is some irony in the fact that right wing dingbats keep repeating this utter rubbish as an article of faith despite its palpable untruth

Wow. You really believe that?

Given how few Muslim countries are not extremists, yes.

How many countries dont imprison or simply ignore the legal process and beat with sticks or throw off buildings people who are gay ?

Letting girls finish school when they want to finish rather than once they are 12 and ready to be married off?

Allowing women to wear what they want and wander around the streets whenever they want with whomever they want?

How about driving cars or voting?

I mean these are some pretty radical things right ?

Given how few Muslim countries are not extremists, yes.

How many countries dont imprison or simply ignore the legal process and beat with sticks or throw off buildings people who are gay ?

Letting girls finish school when they want to finish rather than once they are 12 and ready to be married off?

Allowing women to wear what they want and wander around the streets whenever they want with whomever they want?

How about driving cars or voting?

I mean these are some pretty radical things right ?
We're all Peter Tatchell or Germaine Greer when it comes to Islamic countries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back