UK UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson - A loco recordarentur operum verborumque eius

Remove this Banner Ad

I can name one western country which seems to be wanting the freedom to discriminate on the basis of religion. Well, the right wing culture warriors do.

fools they are as it backfires on them as it will allow "brown people" religious freedom and practices which might be against what the culture warriors want

I think they are aware of what may come there.

We've had Boris the Builder* now it's Boris the Bobby
Screenshot_20211206-115407.png

Look out druggies, with another nod from the Johnson administration towards the American way of doing things, war has been declared

In other news, the Speaker of the House of Commons is concerned about traces of cocaine in the toilets there

* Has he fixed it? No he hasn't

Or the world could just undercut aforementioned drug gangs by legalising, regulating and treating addiction as a health issue the same way we do with alcohol and cigarettes.

The people happiest about the ongoing war on drugs are narcotics traffickers themselves, supposedly the people being targeted by this war.

The US ended prohibition in 1933 and it immediately undercut mobsters who were running booze. It also gave users a cleaner and more reliable supply of alcohol to consume. A win-win for all concerned.

(This dig can be directed at 95+% of idiot politicians, far from just BoJo)

Last edited:

Or the world could just undercut aforementioned drug gangs by legalising, regulating and treating addiction as a health issue the same way we do with alcohol and cigarettes.

The people happiest about the ongoing war on drugs are narcotics traffickers themselves, supposedly the people being targeted by this war.

The US ended prohibition in 1933 and it immediately undercut mobsters who were running booze. It also gave users a cleaner and more reliable supply of alcohol to consume. A win-win for all concerned.

(This dig can be directed at 95+% of idiot politicians, far from just BoJo)

Exactly.
The Tories could reduce gang crime and their budget deficit, and make themselves more popular with younger voters by legalising the weed. Coke's a step too far.
But that would alienate their elderly base who have been told all their lives that Drugs Are Bad

Weed is obviously the first drug, but I think eventually all drugs should be legalised or controlled, with decriminalisation for personal amounts (see bottom paragraph re: Portugal) the first step on a long road to common sense drug policy. Harder drugs like heroin and methamphetamine should be treated the same as morphine, ritalin etc being prescribed by a doctor. The latter is a long long way down the track no doubt.

But the first step is weed, with LSD, psilocybin and MDMA to follow. MDMA would probably need to start it's legal life as a controlled substance.

If one of the prime reasons for legalisation is to undercut drug trafficking networks, there is no point stopping at weed. They'll barely even notice it's gone. When dealing in illegal substances it makes sense to sell the product which has the highest amount of profit per gram, and that is why methamphetamine, cocaine and heroin are the prime earners of the international drug trade.

Same reason why moonshine became so popular during the US prohibition - smugglers are always limited by room, so you are best to deal in the product that gets more $ per gallon. A gallon of moonshine sold to speakeasies for $6 in the 30's (at ~80% profit). Beer was sold to consumers at 25c per pint ($2 pr gallon) so gangsters probably got $1 from that gallon.

Taxes raised would go to help those with addiction issues and I'd dare suggest there'd be a hell of a lot left over for things like infrastructure etc.

It would also allow police to focus on much more pressing issues such as violent crime and the increasing problem of internet based fraud, rather than trying to bust a guy in a pub found with a few pills or an ounce of weed.

There is a growing movement amongst law enforcement who have seen first hand how this ridiculous "war on drugs" has done nothing but send the situation spiralling in a worse direction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforcement_Action_Partnership

The common refrain from prohibitionists is "you just want it easier to get drugs", but actually if I needed a prescription to get MDMA that would be far more of a pain in the ass then it is right now. The only drug I couldn't guarantee getting my hands on in an hour is heroin, but I don't think I would be hard pushed to score some pretty quickly if I put my mind to it.

Portugal's decriminalisation of drugs over the last two decades has been nothing but a roaring success. Addiction rates have halved, deaths plummeted but have risen in line with EU averages in the mid part of the decade, drug related crime is well down and HIV due to needle sharing is basically nil (this has gone down in the EU as well, but not near as much as in Portugal). There has been reported increases in drug usage, but I personally don't see this as a bad thing if it's been done more responsibly. The fact there is almost zero push to repeal that legislation - even amongst former prohibitionists - tells you what a success it has been.

he is completey toasted, wont last the week
Shouldn't. But you're assuming the Tories have anything resembling a conscience or backbone.

PMQ in the last half hour so was an absolute disaster. Throwing subordinates under the bus. Standard BoJo. Our own PM would be proud of it.

They've lost the North Shropshire by-election. Lost to the Lib Dems 32%-47% after holding 63%-10% a margin over them in 2019. First time the area hasn't been represented by a Conservative since 1906.

He's cooked.

Labour leading all the national polls now. The swing started before any of this Christmas party stuff came out but now it looks like Johnson is done. With political leaders like him whose supporters like him because he winds up the people they dislike it is all fun and games until those supporters themselves feel inconvenienced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My fear is that whoever replaces him will be cut from the same cloth. They're all the same (at least for the most part). Arrogant, self-serving parasites.

As usual with conservatives, personal responsibility is something everybody else needs to learn.

Johnson is cooked. He was never the sort of person who deserved to be PM and he's discovered the job actually involves hard work, the expectation of integrity and common decency - traits he lacks.

Johnson is cooked. He was never the sort of person who deserved to be PM and he's discovered the job actually involves hard work, the expectation of integrity and common decency - traits he lacks.
Him now following the isolation rules because one of his immediate family has covid and let's face it for political expedience should tell you exactly where you stand with this talentless hack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back