Politics & Government Ukraine

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 16, 2010
President of Terror Squad
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
I've seen reports stating that Russia has invaded Crimea and has taken hold of 2 airports.

Crimea is apparently Pro-Russia and have possibly let them in but this situation is starting to give me an uneasy feeling. s**t could pop off and get out of hand and quickly, a massive war is a very real possibility which means pretty much everyone is ****ed.

Everyone knows the tensions between Russia and America have been long and bitter, and this could just be the tipping point.

This is the most alarming news story at the moment and has the possibility to affect most people around the world.

http://www.news.com.au/world/ukrain...rges-from-hiding/story-fndir2ev-1226841514137

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/28/world/europe/ukraine-politics/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26392958

Thoughts on the subject and whether we should start worrying or not?

Last edited:
I think there's enough structures and checks in place to prevent anything escalating, I think it's just another Russian power trip because Ukraine's (I miss calling it 'the Ukraine', had a ring to it) government has allied themselves with the EU and it's an excuse to invade territory they think they own while Ukraine is so politically destabilised already.
I don't think America will get involved if there's nothing in it for them like there was in the Middle East. It's in their nature to come out and make grand statements and warnings, but there's nothing in it for them nor is it their war to fight, if war breaks out.

The Americans and Europe aren't going to fight over Crimea or the Donbass.

Crimea is Russian land that happens to be in Ukraine anyway.
The Russians gave Ukraine that land so it's Ukrainian, there is a lot of Russians there and they speak Russian there too but it is still part of Ukraine, I'm just wondering whether Ukraine will fight for that land or just roll over for the Russians to take it and whether Europe or America become involved

The Russians gave Ukraine that land so it's Ukrainian, there is a lot of Russians there and they speak Russian there too but it is still part of Ukraine, I'm just wondering whether Ukraine will fight for that land or just roll over for the Russians to take it and whether Europe or America become involved

Kruschev was Ukrainian.

And I'm not sure why Crimea gets different roles of self determination than Scotland, Quebec or Kosovo.

The Americans and NATO aren't going to fight the Russians in the Ukraine. Especially not over places like Crimea.

It is more to do with countering the American involvement in over throwing the government there, Russia has many interests in the Ukraine they want to protect, It could lead to greater escalation .

See I think the aborigonals own this land we're in,it belongs to them.If they have an uprising to regain control of what was taken off them by force,I couldn't fight them.

So I have a dim view of most or your opinions about issues such as this.

See I think the aborigonals own this land we're in,it belongs to them.If they have an uprising to regain control of what was taken off them by force,I couldn't fight them.

So I have a dim view of most or your opinions about issues such as this.
Come live in Ceduna for a week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine.
You not say Ukraine is weak!

images

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine.

They may lack the military firepower but weak they are not, they are the opposite. The people there simply want true independence and are tired of Russia and Putin's sh*& and their never ending desire for control over them. The orange revolution of a few years back shows they are prepared to back themselves in.

While the US has been mentioned this seems more about Ukraine's desire to align more closely with Europe. If they believe it is in their interest economically and otherwise then that's their right. Economically probably a wise call considering the cost of doing business in Russia not only involves government but also the mafia which has tentacles everywhere.

They may lack the military firepower but weak they are not, they are the opposite. The people there simply want true independence and are tired of Russia and Putin's sh*& and their never ending desire for control over them. The orange revolution of a few years back shows they are prepared to back themselves in.

While the US has been mentioned this seems more about Ukraine's desire to align more closely with Europe. If they believe it is in their interest economically and otherwise then that's their right. Economically probably a wise call considering the cost of doing business in Russia not only involves government but also the mafia which has tentacles everywhere.
He was quoting Seinfeld.

You do realise that the overthrow of Yanukovych was a Western-backed coup, right?

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/12/michael-thomas/another-cia-engineered-coup/
Yes I did.

I'd never pretend for a second that the West can claim the moral high ground. The US' behaviour in places like Grenada, Cuba and Chile are other examples.

However, there is no doubt whatsoever that Russia interferes regularly in the politics of most, if not all, of its former Soviet underlings.

All countries use whatever political/economic/military power they have as leverage over others, including Australia.

The problem the world faces right now is that the US has toppled most of its targets as set out by the neoconservatives more than a decade ago, and the only big ones left are closely aligned with a Putin-led (read: assertive) Russia.

The US attempted to get UN approval to invade Syria last year. Syria has a defence past with Iran - so a Syrian invasion means the war with Iran the US have been gunning for. Russia vetoed it. The Saudis then threatened Putin to let the invasion go ahead 'or else'. Putin rightly said '* you'. And CIA operatives have been attempting to destablise Ukraine ever since, culminating in the coup in Kiev we witnessed recently.

There is an end-game here if you connect the dots.

They may lack the military firepower
Not true Ukraine have the 2nd largest military in Europe, Russia has the largest.

anyway looks like Ukraine is gearing up for war with Russia, good on them for standing their ground and not letting themselves be slapped around by mother Russia but this situation is looking worse by the day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back