Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2011
Anywhere else
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat & Dolphins
Season 1 of the Paul Roos cup is a dynasty/keeper league which will be run on Ultimate-Footy. These are the initial rules and league set up going into season 1:
-14 teams
-List sizes of 44 players per team
-Minimum of 3 draft picks used by each team in the annual draft each season
-Players eligible to be drafted each season are those selected in the NAB AFL draft, the Rookie draft, the pre-season draft, any players in the free agent pool at the end of the previous season and any category B/international rookies.

Scoring will be as follows:
9 categories which will be weighted as:
2 points awarded for winning the following categories:
Kicks, handballs, marks, hitouts, tackles, total score
1 point awarded for winning the following categories: frees for, frees against, goal scoring accuracy %
All captain's statistics will be doubled, vice captain's statistics will be doubled if a team's captain doesn't play

- At the end of the regular season the top 8 sides will playoff in the finals in the same format as real life.
- There will be no cap on the number of list changes in the off season/during the draft period, there will however be a cap of 5 free agency moves during the season.
-Trading during the season is allowed, but there will be a trade window which will be open most of the regular season and close shortly before finals begin.
-Future draft pick trading is allowed for one season ahead only.

Managers currently registered

deeman87 - Viney's Troopers
TheDarkDwarf - Riders of the Blue
Striker475 - Lewis & the Traitors
iluvparis - Idnutinher
FRROST - Metung Meerkats
Stoney - Stoney's Superstars
Fernando2Gibbs - Dempool FC
tenderwarrior - Tenderwarriors
Drew23 - Daniel's team
reggie - Reggie's Rabble
BILC - Bachar Houligans
Zim^zuM - Lolern Bulldogs
Dignan - Bottle Rockets
Thommo333 - Thommo's Tigers

Wait List

Last edited:

I'm keen.
I've never played category before always points, what benefits does it bring over points based leagues??

I'm keen.
I've never played category before always points, what benefits does it bring over points based leagues??
Category is far more tactical and overall more fun in my opinion. Rather than just going for players who score high in points you have to try and outplay your opponents in 5 out of 9 categories and thus you'd look to field slightly different teams than you would in just a points league. For instance using 9 categories as say kicks, handballs, marks, tackles, score, score accuracy %, hitouts, frees for, frees against you wouldn't just be looking to draft forwards who score high in fantasy points but rather be looking for a mix of goal scorers and players who accumulate possession. You might also look to try and play efficient players who are accurate in front of goals or who don't give away too many frees etc. Choosing your captain might also take a slightly different look. Just a fun style of fantasy, it's hugely popular in American fantasy sports but has only caught on in AFL in the last few years.

Last edited:
Category is far more tactical and overall quite a bit funner in my opinion. Rather than just going for players who score high in points you have to try and outplay your opponents in 5 out of 9 categories and thus you'd look to field slightly different teams than you would in just a points league. For instance using 9 categories as say kicks, handballs, marks, tackles, score, score accuracy %, hitouts, frees for, frees against you wouldn't just be looking to draft forwards who score high in fantasy points but rather be looking for a mix of goal scorers and players who accumulate possession. You might also look to try and play efficient players who are accurate in front of goals or who don't give away too many frees etc. Choosing your captain might also take a slightly different look. Just a fun style of fantasy, it's hugely popular in American fantasy sports but has only caught on in AFL in the last few years.
I'm sold, any format that keeps more players relevant works for me.

I think it's a great idea getting this moving so early, it gives a great opportunity to spitball ideas for league setup.

I think it's a great idea getting this moving so early, it gives a great opportunity to spitball ideas for league setup.
Yeah for sure. We'll aim to start our draft nice and early next year too so we can take our time with it. Categories, roster sizes and league numbers are totally up for discussion. I think it's best for a keeper league to have fairly large rosters close to real AFL size since everyone is going to run into their share of long term injuries and what not though i also think there should be some players left in the free agency pool. So maybe i think somewhere in the range of 12-16 teams and 34-42 players. The list of possible categories are below and while i like the aforementioned 9 which are pretty standard i also quite like the idea of disposal efficiency % being one. uf cats.GIF

I'll leave the discussion about categories to the more initiated but as for list size.... The BIGGER the BETTER I think. Your absolutely right about keeping a balance so there are still some FA's to pick up but I've also found that the larger list leagues encourage more trade movement and therefore MORE FUN!! I think your on the money Dman with a 40+ list

Yeah encouraging trading is certainly something we want as well though it's definitely a balance with free agency as i don't want the free agency pool to be completely bereft of talent. A maximum of 16 teams and 42 players should leave at least 80 or so players in free agency and more like 140ish including rookies. After year 1 there will be a draft similar to in real life and we can allow picks and possible future picks to be traded as well similar to real life which should encourage trading throughout. I've added a poll up the top for list size, those who are playing can vote whenever. I'll be leaving the poll open up until the end of the year/when we have a full league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am one of the original (and current) coaches in the Big Footy Dynasty League stickied to the top of this thread page, and i think this is our fifth season? Anyway, we have 14 teams and a squad of 45, with 5 FA selections available over the course of the season. We also allow trading until the end of round 16. We started with teams using 6/5/2/6/3 but changed to 6/5/1/6/4 (1 ruck and 4 utilities) last off-season and i think it works better.

I wish you guys well, it is a great format. Feel free to have a look at our pages and ask us any questions. We have learnt alot over the years, but our league is as strong as ever, with 11 of the 14 coaches being originals.

I am one of the original (and current) coaches in the Big Footy Dynasty League stickied to the top of this thread page, and i think this is our fifth season? Anyway, we have 14 teams and a squad of 45, with 5 FA selections available over the course of the season. We also allow trading until the end of round 16. We started with teams using 6/5/2/6/3 but changed to 6/5/1/6/4 (1 ruck and 4 utilities) last off-season and i think it works better.

I wish you guys well, it is a great format. Feel free to have a look at our pages and ask us any questions. We have learnt alot over the years, but our league is as strong as ever, with 11 of the 14 coaches being originals.
I've looked through your thread with envy mate, it seems a very active league.
I'm sure the Dman can build a league we can all call our No.1 :yum:.
No pressure Dman :smilingimp:

Great thanks for your input i'll be sure to have a look at your league.
Which has brought up another thing we will need to choose which is how many from each position on the field each week. Definitely 1 ruckmen as there isn't the depth at ruck to have 2 and there are fair few dual position ruck forwards/defenders too so people can choose to play multiple ruckmen if they choose.

I've looked through your thread with envy mate, it seems a very active league.
I'm sure the Dman can build a league we can all call our No.1 :yum:.
No pressure Dman :smilingimp:

Haha will do my best. I've been wanting an UF keeper league for a few years now so i'm certainly keen to build up a strong league with dedicated managers.

At the risk of giving away too many trade secrets check out Footyrhino podcast next week, they're going to do a top 30 keeper prospects under 25. Pretty relevant I thought.

At the risk of giving away too many trade secrets check out Footyrhino podcast next week, they're going to do a top 30 keeper prospects under 25. Pretty relevant I thought.
Although that'd be based on DT points now I think about it. I don't know where a top 30 points based player would sit in the rankings of category players?
It's going to be interesting getting my head around the category style I think.

Yeah honestly it's difficult enough to draft a balanced team in a category league that's a non-keeper league. Once you add keepers to it it really evolves to another level. Do you draft players in their prime early or high potential guys... Where do vets fit in etc. It's gonna be really fun imo. When we draft there will be a list of rankings for 2016 in the format we choose as well as predicted rankings for 2017. Then it's obviously just a matter of sorting those against potential and what not. Guys who are fantasy studs in points based leagues will mostly still be awesome in category based leagues though so any keeper lists you find will definitely still be relevant.

While we wait for new coaches to come in, why don't we spitball some ideas for the league?

What are our thoughts on trading picks and future picks (the next two drafts)? I implemented trading for picks in a couple of my keeper Leagues this year and I think it has greatly increased trading between coaches and it appears to have given the teams at the bottom of the table another tool to rebuild. I've only been doing it for one year and I'm sure some of you guys have done it for longer so I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back