Paul Roos Lg. Ultimate Footy Dynasty league 2017 - Paul Roos Cup

list size

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
DMan, had any thoughts on what categories we should role with??
I'm happy to put in to upgrade the league to get the extras.
I'm not too sure how much it is to make it a premium league and implement premium categories but i'm happy to keep this as a free league and thus roll with the standard 9 categories. If there are a decent number of people who are unhappy with standard categories or who would like to implement certain premium categories i'm happy to change it to a premium league. However currently i'm fine with just rolling with the following categories. If anyone has an opinion on this or would like certain categories over certain other categories please feel free to speak up. These are the standard categories, the premium ones are the ones that say "available via stats" next to them...
cats.GIF

I'm not too sure how much it is to make it a premium league and implement premium categories but i'm happy to keep this as a free league and thus roll with the standard 9 categories. If there are a decent number of people who are unhappy with standard categories or who would like to implement certain premium categories i'm happy to change it to a premium league. However currently i'm fine with just rolling with the following categories. If anyone has an opinion on this or would like certain categories over certain other categories please feel free to speak up. These are the standard categories, the premium ones are the ones that say "available via stats" next to them...
View attachment 285163
It's $30, about $2 each.

Like I've said previously I'll leave the final decision to those that know categories better than me, but for what it's worth I'm happy to play, and pay for, all the categories.

It's $30, about $2 each.

Like I've said previously I'll leave the final decision to those that know categories better than me, but for what it's worth I'm happy to play, and pay for, all the categories.
Ok cool. The money's certainly not an issue as i'm sure a few of us wouldn't mind paying a $10 bucks or whatever. Whether or not the other categories actually improve the competition is really the issue in my opinion. We don't really want too many categories as once you cross the line of having too many it becomes a complete crapshoot and incredibly hard to draft and set teams. So with that in mind i'd like to keep it at 9 categories.

In the above list i'd say the top 7 are all essential, i have mixed feelings on free kicks being categories, i think AFL is umpired very poorly in general and thus having free kicks deciding the outcome of fantasy games can be a bit frustrating. That being said, this year when i drafted in my other league i had a heavy emphasis on drafting guys who had a history of having good free kick differentials throughout their careers. My team ended up going 17-1 and i won far more free kick counts than i lost. So i think with frees, while it can be a bit of an erratic category you can definitely draft for it and while some players will have years where they perform better in those cats than others (like all categories really) players tend to perform fairly consistently in free kick counts across years. So with all that being said, if people want we can pay and ditch free kicks and add in 2 other categories or we can just roll with frees and adjust our strategy accordingly...

Ok cool. The money's certainly not an issue as i'm sure a few of us wouldn't mind paying a $10 bucks or whatever. Whether or not the other categories actually improve the competition is really the issue in my opinion. We don't really want too many categories as once you cross the line of having too many it becomes a complete crapshoot and incredibly hard to draft and set teams. So with that in mind i'd like to keep it at 9 categories.

In the above list i'd say the top 7 are all essential, i have mixed feelings on free kicks being categories, i think AFL is umpired very poorly in general and thus having free kicks deciding the outcome of fantasy games can be a bit frustrating. That being said, this year when i drafted in my other league i had a heavy emphasis on drafting guys who had a history of having good free kick differentials throughout their careers. My team ended up going 17-1 and i won far more free kick counts than i lost. So i think with frees, while it can be a bit of an erratic category you can definitely draft for it and while some players will have years where they perform better in those cats than others (like all categories really) players tend to perform fairly consistently in free kick counts across years. So with all that being said, if people want we can pay and ditch free kicks and add in 2 other categories or we can just roll with frees and adjust our strategy accordingly...

I agree about the free kicks, and even the accuracy to a certain extent. I've been in a league before where the other 6 categories are weighted as '2' and the FF, FA and % are weighted as '1' and it worked well

I agree about the free kicks, and even the accuracy to a certain extent. I've been in a league before where the other 6 categories are weighted as '2' and the FF, FA and % are weighted as '1' and it worked well
Yeah that's an idea as well for sure and one which i quite like. I've thought similar things about accuracy as well, however in real life goal kicking accuracy might be one of the most crucial elements to deciding the outcome of a game so i think it definitely deserves a place in category fantasy. If we were to weight FF, FA and accuracy as 1 it would leave it at 15 points total so i think that's definitely a decent suggestion. What say you rest of league?

I also agree about the free kicks, and think Reggie's idea is a good one. Am happy to pay any additional cost if there is a consensus to dump the free kick counts and add 2 other categories.

Should we aim to have a final decision on the list size made over the next couple of week? Then we can start ticking of others before the start of next year. Probably need to survey what cats we're going with.

Should we aim to have a final decision on the list size made over the next couple of week? Then we can start ticking of others before the start of next year. Probably need to survey what cats we're going with.
I think we can lock in list size pretty easily based on the poll. There's 5 people who have voted for 46 and 5 people who have voted for between 40-44. Thus i propose we make list sizes 44 as this is a nice middle number and also the size of real AFL lists including rookie spots. (excluding cat b/international rookies)
If anyone disagrees on 44 feel free to make an argument for a different number but that seems like a good number to me.

On categories i actually really liked Reggie's idea of using the standard categories but weighting frees for, frees against and goal accuracy % 1 and the other categories as 2. This is my preferred format. If anyone would like to make a case for a different format feel free to do so. I can't see a way to add another poll for this, might be possible with a mods help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can lock in list size pretty easily based on the poll. There's 5 people who have voted for 46 and 5 people who have voted for between 40-44. Thus i propose we make list sizes 44 as this is a nice middle number and also the size of real AFL lists including rookie spots. (excluding cat b/international rookies)
If anyone disagrees on 44 feel free to make an argument for a different number but that seems like a good number to me.

On categories i actually really liked Reggie's idea of using the standard categories but weighting frees for, frees against and goal accuracy % 1 and the other categories as 2. This is my preferred format. If anyone would like to make a case for a different format feel free to do so. I can't see a way to add another poll for this, might be possible with a mods help.
Makin the tough calls!! That's why your in charge Dman. I'm happy with 44.
How many keepers?

Makin the tough calls!! That's why your in charge Dman. I'm happy with 44.
How many keepers?
All keepers! The draft each year will just be a draft similar to real life. Players eligble to be selected in the yearly draft will be any players selected in the AFL draft/rookie draft and pre-season draft as well as any players who were in the free agent pool at the end of the previous season.

All keepers! The draft each year will just be a draft similar to real life. Players eligble to be selected in the yearly draft will be any players selected in the AFL draft/rookie draft and pre-season draft as well as any players who were in the free agent pool at the end of the previous season.

Nice! I likey likey!

Are you saying that a team can choose to keep all 44 players from one year to the next?

Are you saying that a team can choose to keep all 44 players from one year to the next?
Yeah this is a dynasty league also known as a keeper league. After the initial draft, all players you draft are kept from one year to the next. You can choose to delist players at any point during the year and add players from the free agent pool. Similarly when you draft a new player in the yearly draft you have to delist a player to keep your list number at 44. All delisted players will go into the free agent pool where they can be added or drafted by managers. I should clarify actually that no you cannot keep all 44 players from one year to the next. To keep this realistic i'm going to say that each team must use 3 draft picks each year, so in essence each team must make at least 3 list changes every year.

Yeah this is a dynasty league also known as a keeper league. After the initial draft, all players you draft are kept from one year to the next. You can choose to delist players at any point during the year and add players from the free agent pool. Similarly when you draft a new player in the yearly draft you have to delist a player to keep your list number at 44. All delisted players will go into the free agent pool where they can be added or drafted by managers.
I understand the keeper/dynasty format, I run a couple myself, I'm just taking some time to understand how the draft will work if teams choose to keep a full list. What happens if I make a trade that includes my, let's say, second round pick in the following years draft then I keep a full list (therefore having no picks in the draft)?? o_O

I understand the keeper/dynasty format, I run a couple myself, I'm just taking some time to understand how the draft will work if teams choose to keep a full list. What happens if I make a trade that includes my, let's say, second round pick in the following years draft then I keep a full list (therefore having no picks in the draft)?? o_O
The draft will be the same as it is in real life. If you choose to trade your 1st and 2nd round picks, you'll still have to make 3 draft picks which would be in round 3,4 and 5 of the draft.

The draft will be the same as it is in real life. If you choose to trade your 1st and 2nd round picks, you'll still have to make 3 draft picks which would be in round 3,4 and 5 of the draft.

got it mate, I just re-read your clarification. So it'll be 41 keepers, 3 redraft :thumbsu:.
this is going to be GREAT!!!

got it mate, I just re-read your clarification. So it'll be 41 keepers, 3 redraft :thumbsu:.
this is going to be GREAT!!!
Yeah i guess that's a more accurate description. That being said a team can make more than 3 draft picks, 3 is just the minimum. So if you have a list like Brisbane's you might end up making 10 changes in the off season. I've updated the front of the page with the initial rules, if i've left anything out or people have suggestions throw them up by all means!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back