Roast umpire embroiled in brownlow betting scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't reffed at that level, but have reffed for a good number years in the late 70's, trained by Bill Hunt at Bulleen. Also umpired Indoor Cricket A grade and casual footy umpiring.

I would love all that to be a true conspiracy, but the level of coordination seems beyond a bunch of officials struggling to get things right, let alone specifically incorrect.
I dunno man. When you've got Billions of dollars pouring through the game...

I have lost faith and trust.

Man what a fall for Mick. The guy was a highly respected journo and now is forced to write this poo. Probably the only gig he can get now.
hes also cleaning the toilets at the hun after he wrote that book

Suggesting that he manipulated votes to get certain players up is complete fantasy stuff. Reality is it was almost certainly just spot betting. He told them who got the 3 votes in certain rounds and they put money those on

Would have triggered suspicion when they got too many right (and/or put all the exact same bets on at the same time), they should have thrown in a few wrong ones and staggered the information amongst each other. Got greedy and got caught
I think you are probably right, however spot betting, like all betting, works best when you back an outsider at better odds. Either way it still needs to be clarified publicly what is alleged to have happened. It may have just been passing information (in which case the Brownlow count would be unaffected) or was it influencing the voting to help an unexpected player getting the three votes to improve the winning bet? The problem I have is with the AFL declaring the Brownlow count to be unaffected, before the facts become public.

I think you are probably right, however spot betting, like all betting, works best when you back an outsider at better odds. Either way it still needs to be clarified publicly what is alleged to have happened. It may have just been passing information (in which case the Brownlow count would be unaffected) or was it influencing the voting to help an unexpected player getting the three votes to improve the winning bet? The problem I have is with the AFL declaring the Brownlow count to be unaffected, before the facts become public.
Using the fifa playbook

Personally I couldn't care less if a few bookies have been taken advantage of.

Umpires get this medal right for the most part. While far from perfect, I cant think of another group of people who would be less likely to be corrupted or be better judges when handing out the votes, with the possible exception of the coaches and they have their own award already. Imagine the shitfight the medal becomes if the media get control of it.

The answer is to remove the exotic betting markets, not change the rules of an award that has an important place in the games history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suggesting that he manipulated votes to get certain players up is complete fantasy stuff. Reality is it was almost certainly just spot betting. He told them who got the 3 votes in certain rounds and they put money those on

Would have triggered suspicion when they got too many right (and/or put all the exact same bets on at the same time), they should have thrown in a few wrong ones and staggered the information amongst each other. Got greedy and got caught
most sensible post so far.:thumbsu:

Personally I couldn't care less if a few bookies have been taken advantage of.

Umpires get this medal right for the most part. While far from perfect, I cant think of another group of people who would be less likely to be corrupted or be better judges when handing out the votes, with the possible exception of the coaches and they have their own award already. Imagine the shitfight the medal becomes if the media get control of it.

The answer is to remove the exotic betting markets, not change the rules of an award that has an important place in the games history.
I agree to a point that I’d have little more confidence in the likes of whately voting in the brownlow ea year ,heck selwood would have won 6 of em, leave as is

I dunno man. When you've got Billions of dollars pouring through the game...

I have lost faith and trust.

I've lost faith in the game as well, but I think everyone is jumping at shadows a bit - they are not good enough to be that calculating. These guys are not sharp cracking whips, a few are, but the new breed not so much. I mean, look at some of them, I wouldn't be employing them let alone crediting them with masterminding a sting.

Last edited:
I've lost faith in the game as well, but I think everyone is jumping at shadows a bit - they are not good enough to be that calculating. These guys are not sharp cracking whips, a few are, but the new breed not so much. I mean, look at some of them, I wouldn't be employing them let alone crediting them with masterminding a sting.
no, we’re having some fun but what’s the difference with players being hung drawn and quartered for the slightest indiscretion massive pile ons across the media , yet criminal charges apply here and it’s swept under the carpet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back