Umpire Integrity and Game Outcomes.

Remove this Banner Ad

OP,

go read up on the subject of vicarious liability, that should provide you with the answer as to why it wont happen.

Any related action against an umpire would fall outside the duties of the umpire, activities such as betting on matches, match fixing etc that would need substantial evidence to support

It will never happen and nor should it.

It is very rare that one singular decision made by an umpire costs a team a game or a premiership. There are thousands of decisions each and every game that can impact a result.
LOL.
It can and does take very few decisions to change the flow of a game.
See it every week.
The real issue is not the umpires it is the rules framed to be entirely subjective and vague at the same time as the umpires being "coaxed" into "interpreting" them as deemed appropriate by the AFL though weekly "guidelines".

If you can't see that then you should stick to just moderating.

LOL.
See it every week.
The real issue is not the umpires it is the rules framed to be entirely subjective and vague at the same time as the umpires being "coaxed" into "interpreting" them as deemed appropriate by the AFL though weekly "guidelines".

Again, there are thousands of decisions per game that impact a result. Simpletons just often focus on one or two at the end of the game because those are magnified and they are impacted by recency bias.

"Change the flow of" is also very different to "costs a team a game or a premiership".

Not sure what being a mod has to do with anything, but bringing that up is usually a tell that the poster who does, doesn't have much else of substance to add.
Kudos to you for showing your hand so early, I guess.

OP,

go read up on the subject of vicarious liability, that should provide you with the answer as to why it wont happen.

Any related action against an umpire would fall outside the duties of the umpire, activities such as betting on matches, match fixing etc that would need substantial evidence to support
Was there ever a result in the Michael Pell investigation or is that still going on?

Again, there are thousands of decisions per game that impact a result. Simpletons just often focus on one or two at the end of the game because those are magnified and they are impacted by recency bias.

"Change the flow of" is also very different to "costs a team a game or a premiership".

Not sure what being a mod has to do with anything, but bringing that up is usually a tell that the poster who does, doesn't have much else of substance to add.
Kudos to you for showing your hand so early, I guess.
Probably did not come out as I intended.
Point was it is far from the case that it is difficult to influence the result of a game and to most avid footy followers that is pretty clear to see.

Probably did not come out as I intended.
Point was it is far from the case that it is difficult to influence the result of a game and to most avid footy followers that is pretty clear to see.

Never said it was difficult; just that it very rarely happens that a singular umpiring decision directly impacts the result of a game.

Was there ever a result in the Michael Pell investigation or is that still going on?

No charges were laid as far as I'm aware

Watch tonight’s final you can see the special treatment Collingwood got last week and now Carlton.

😂😂😂😂

Carlton always get special treatment, Charlie got more than half his goals from free kicks.

But last week? That second half was the biggest stitch up of all time, the umpires put their end of season trip on Melbourne but the Dees let them all down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s no doubt the AFL itself wants to see certain clubs successful. They regularly turn an eye away from different things including salary cap and recruiting breechs. Not to mention favourable umpiring and as we’ve seen tribunal outcomes.
Never more evident than the 2021 finals eh?

Never said it was difficult; just that it very rarely happens that a singular umpiring decision directly impacts the result of a game.
I always find it amusing that having sat there for 2 hours watching their team give away silly free kicks, kick to opposition players on their own, drop simple marks, miss goals from easy range, etc, people have the nerve to blame one umpiring decision for their team losing :)

Going by tonights umpiring the AFL desperately wanted a Pies vs Power prelim.
you do realise that wasnt possible?
I'd say over an extended period Collingwood tick the box.
Such a crock. People like you constantly claim matches, draws, umpiring, etc are "fixed" except for the ones that you win which are always totally legit! . You remind me of Trump. lol.

I'd say over an extended period Collingwood tick the box.
1977 tribunal rubs out our best player in a Semi, he misses GF, we draw, then lose
1979 GF contentious goal W Harmes. Call is against us, we lose by 5 points
2002 GF. J Cloke suspended in Prelim. A Rocca goal. C Tarrant head high in goal square. A Lynch head high in goal square. All calls are against us, we lose by 9 points.
2018 Maynard blocked, call is play on. Goal kicked, we lose by 5 points.
Change the calls, we have 19 Flags.

I’m wondering when there is going to be a time when an umpire is going to be held accountable for a decision that costs a team a premiership.
So much money put into winning one, the team expenditure, sponsors etc.
But I think it will be a gambling issue that causes a demise of an umpire that will shock us all.
Underworld connections will drive it.
Fans will forever be angered by an umpire who wants to stamp his name in history but the $$$ will eventually get one in trouble.
Ok a few questions for you
Who did you bet on and how much did you lose?
Don't you watch the ad's about responsible gambling? Remember you lose more than you win

I’m wondering when there is going to be a time when an umpire is going to be held accountable for a decision that costs a team a premiership.
So much money put into winning one, the team expenditure, sponsors etc.
But I think it will be a gambling issue that causes a demise of an umpire that will shock us all.
Underworld connections will drive it.
Fans will forever be angered by an umpire who wants to stamp his name in history but the $$$ will eventually get one in trouble.
Well your a Magpie , I have been saying for years now that the rule fiddling and warping into perception by an individual, would one day create by a free or a missed free, and lose a team a flag.
Well it happened already mate, with your club . Last minute or less, in 2018 when the umpire let a mark go to a player when a free should have been called for a block, ( anyone tell me exactly what is the difference between a block and a shepherd, I believe a block is an unfair interference from a distance???? free kickable. Its what I saw anyway.

Well that day in 2018 with less than a minute to go, that ball should have been in the hands of a Collingwood defendant as a free.

It wasn't, even the commentators mentioned it instantly. The next kick won the game.

I am a member at Hawthorn I have no connection with either of those teams, but the horror of predictions and the anger I have felt about rule fiddling, umpiring that can be so petty and over adjudicated, or totally confusing. It made that incident, make my crappy comment once, a long time ago,
"someday a bloody premiership will be lost by grey rules and yearly fiddling".

All under McLachlan's reign. His legacy is unfairness.
That is no attack on the Eagles, it was close, but it was lost by a mistake in my mind, I think other Collingwood people would be thinking the same thing, if they are serious Magpies.
It'll happen again!

LOL.
See it every week.

Spot on.

How often do we see a couple of 40/60 free kicks paid, dubious 50 metre penalties, etc. that completely change the momentum of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back