Comebackmick

All Australian
Mar 5, 2003
Kyneton
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
I'm a North fan and couldn't really give a rats who wins between Freo and the Blues but I hate it when dumb umpiring mistakes decide who wins a game.
Have a look at the finish of their game tonight. There's no way the player who took the final kick was closest when the kick was awarded.

Reckon the umpy would have kicked it out on full if he took that kick.

Still not bothered to watch our game last week after the crazy free and 50 metre against SPS. Stopped watching then as knew the result the umpires were going to make it that day.

As the scores are so low in football games in this rotation pandemic era, we are going to get more and more games where the result can go either way to the end , so our frustration is going to go through the roof most rounds.

Lol these are paid all the time! 48 seconds. Correct decision

Go back a few seconds in vision to 41 and you'll see the ball goes over the line just in front of Mzungu (pink bib 11). Sam Docherty then takes a run on the wrong side of the boundary before kicking, the ball did not reenter the field from where the ball went out but after a 10 meter run on the wrong side of the boundary. Playing on if you are in the boundaries is okay but not if you are out of the boundaries, the whistle should have been blown for that, probably for the kick to be taken again so the empire establishes the mark. Where he had played on with no one on the mark, he would now have someone standing on the mark and players set up defensively, odds of a goal for a win being much lower.

As for your "correct decision"... Not sure that a player jumping to smother the ball (Brayshaw) deserves a free kick, you say it's paid all the time - find some instances, I'm sure Docherty would have been puzzled by it - yet happy for the umpiring decision.

Ignoring that, the player taking the kick should have been the closest player.

Hell, the kick on goal was a great kick, probably the goal of the year so far, but he shouldn't have had that kick in the first place. That is why, the OP from a neutral team made the o.p.

Worst decision to result a game since Scott Thompson's, "illegal sheppard" against Brisbane last year.
Anyway what is done is done & really comes back to Tabener not holding the ball up or atleast taking the tackle & creating a stoppage.
However, what I want to know is why wasn't Conca's late hit brought down the field? Also Newnes was in the back pocket when it went out on the full with Gibbons 5 meters away.
As they did with the Big O free kick against Nth, I'm sure this week they will come out and admit it was an incorrect call. Which pretty much means nothing 🙄

I was more perplexed that the kick was taken from there. The ball went out on the full so it should of gone back to where it came from. Or has that rule been changed as well?

After seeing footage of the last minute, I actually feel sad the game has become the state it is. It’s ok for umpires to have blunders, but for the love of footy, please stop making it so damn obvious you’re part-ump and part-player during a game!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many sook threads tonight, yet none of them are looking at the disgraceful decisions in the first quarter.

This always happens on bigfooty etc when there is a close finish. Only the last minutes matter.

As has been mentioned, Carlton copped a shocking run in the first quarter so swings and roundabouts. Freo's inability to score left the door open - put a big score on and you win the game.

Go back a few seconds in vision to 41 and you'll see the ball goes over the line just in front of Mzungu (pink bib 11). Sam Docherty then takes a run on the wrong side of the boundary before kicking, the ball did not reenter the field from where the ball went out but after a 10 meter run on the wrong side of the boundary. Playing on if you are in the boundaries is okay but not if you are out of the boundaries, the whistle should have been blown for that, probably for the kick to be taken again so the empire establishes the mark. Where he had played on with no one on the mark, he would now have someone standing on the mark and players set up defensively, odds of a goal for a win being much lower.

As for your "correct decision"... Not sure that a player jumping to smother the ball (Brayshaw) deserves a free kick, you say it's paid all the time - find some instances, I'm sure Docherty would have been puzzled by it - yet happy for the umpiring decision.

Ignoring that, the player taking the kick should have been the closest player.

Hell, the kick on goal was a great kick, probably the goal of the year so far, but he shouldn't have had that kick in the first place. That is why, the OP from a neutral team made the o.p.

Yes you're right about running in the boundary, there was also an umpire in the way but it wasn't the correct decision. He didn't need to make as hard contact, he did jump which is hard to stop momentum but he looked at Docherty and decided to not pull out. I don't need to go find examples - you can go watch some of our games this year and we got done for it.

Last edited:
Yes you're right about running in the boundary, there was also an umpire in the way but it wasn't the correct decision.
That's where it should have stopped and been pulled back for a legal kick from out of bounds. No problems then if Carlton had taken a mark and kicked for goal or Ryan takes a "Leo Barry" mark.

Too many weak umpires and too many bad decisions or non decisions!

This always happens on bigfooty etc when there is a close finish. Only the last minutes matter.

People focus on it because when the umps screw you in the dying minutes your team doesn't have a chance to right the wrong.

There's that cliche that good teams overcome bad umpiring - which is stupid because why should your team have to be good enough to overcome another good team plus the umpires helping them - but at least that makes some sense when poor umpiring goes against you early because you have the chance to fight back. Not so in instances like last night.

I was more perplexed that the kick was taken from there. The ball went out on the full so it should of gone back to where it came from. Or has that rule been changed as well?

I thought that too, but apparently the rule was simplified this year to allow the umpire to decide where a free kick should be taken when a "down field" free kick is paid. If the ball goes out on the full, or through for a point - the free will be paid where the ball crosses the boundary.

There are a plenty of famous instances where this wasn't the case in the past - Malcolm Blight at Arden Street sticks out.

I thought that too, but apparently the rule was simplified this year to allow the umpire to decide where a free kick should be taken when a "down field" free kick is paid. If the ball goes out on the full, or through for a point - the free will be paid where the ball crosses the boundary.

There are a plenty of famous instances where this wasn't the case in the past - Malcolm Blight at Arden Street sticks out.

But it wasn't where the ball went out on the full. From what I'm told it's closest to where the ball lands. Hate for it to bounce off the grandstand

They missed the Mundy kick v Geelong.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back