Umpire wins another match.

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that too, but apparently the rule was simplified this year to allow the umpire to decide where a free kick should be taken when a "down field" free kick is paid. If the ball goes out on the full, or through for a point - the free will be paid where the ball crosses the boundary.

There are a plenty of famous instances where this wasn't the case in the past - Malcolm Blight at Arden Street sticks out.

Just one of the hundreds of rule changes they have made

Not only that but why was Jones allowed to mark throw the ball to Betts and get it back after he threw it?
He HANDBALLED it- watched it three times to make sure.
The umpire then called it back (for whatever reason) and made him take the kick.
So he wanted to handball it off (to Betts would've probably had a better chance at kicking it).
Umpire made him kick from behind the mark.
If anything the question should be why the umpire DISALLOWED it, when there was a case in a recent Brisbane game where Hipwood took it from behind the boundary line ...

He HANDBALLED it- watched it three times to make sure.
The umpire then called it back (for whatever reason) and made him take the kick.
So he wanted to handball it off (to Betts would've probably had a better chance at kicking it).
Umpire made him kick from behind the mark.
If anything the question should be why the umpire DISALLOWED it, when there was a case in a recent Brisbane game where Hipwood took it from behind the boundary line ...
Proof of handball?

Deliberate - correct call

downfield free kick - maybe a bit soft but it was definitely justifiable.

Newnes taking the kick - wrong call, but maybe Gibbons kicks it. Who knows?

If Taebener had grabbed the ball it would have been game over, he ****ed up and the rest is history

I tuned it for the last 15 seconds and was staggered how many poor umpiring decisions were condensed into that time. Needless to say, I don't one think of them would be or should be paid in a high-stakes final or Grand final.

One of the reasons finals are immeasurably better is because the umpiring is more consistent and less intrusive. I suppose at that end of the season better umpires are officiating.

Everyone knows though, that during the minor round - games are decided on the back of atrociously egregious umpiring decisions for the slightest or imagined infringements. In finals or Grand Finals its the opposite, questionable free kicks are hardly ever paid because of the stakes. Case in point - Leo Barry mark (non-paid free to Sampi), the block against Maynard in the 2018 GF. In both cases, the free kick was arguably there, but enough reasonable doubt (particularly in the moment, not to pay it) That, I think, is how games should be umpired all the time. Don't pay the free kicks unless they are fairly obvious.

If Taebener had grabbed the ball it would have been game over, he f’ed up and the rest is history

Sorry, your posing a hypothetical scenario (i.e the Freo player should have taken possession) to justify a chain of very questionable free kicks and decisions, which actually occurred .

We all know, if the situation was reversed, you would be screaming bloody murder.

For the record,
- Deliberate - I blame the rule interpretation, not the decision in this case
- Downfield - not there, and certainly would not be paid in a final or grand final
- Wrong recipient - again, a mistake that would never occur in a higher stakes game. Wrong call

I count at least two out of three calls which are extremely questionable and we know, would probably never be called to decide outcome of a final or GF

If Taebener had grabbed the ball it would have been game over, he f’ed up and the rest is history

And this one.
IMG_20200817_182419.jpg

Actual mark set versus where it should have been.

Gibbons from 55m+ out?

Sorry, your posing a hypothetical scenario (i.e the Freo player should have taken possession) to justify a chain of very questionable free kicks and decisions, which actually occurred .

We all know, if the situation was reversed, you would be screaming bloody murder.

For the record,
- Deliberate - I blame the rule interpretation, not the decision in this case
- Downfield - not there, and certainly would not be paid in a final or grand final
- Wrong recipient - again, a mistake that would never occur in a higher stakes game. Wrong call

I count at least two out of three calls which are extremely questionable and we know, would probably never be called to decide outcome of a final or GF
Mate you think Freo are the only team that has been the victim of average umpiring decisions?

how about the Soft free kicks to Tabs and Lobb in the first quarter? Or the blatant deliberate by Conca which wasn't paid

Yes you can argue that the umpires made a couple of errors at the end of the game but to act is if they are the reason Freo lost is just ridiculous and shifting the blame away from Freo’s players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back