Umpires Essendon vs Geelong!

Remove this Banner Ad

both teams copped bad decisions.....that's football
Precisely - I don't think anyone who was there felt that the decisions affected the outcome - but they infuriate the crowd - Bombers supporters in particular. Most around me thought that Velvet might have kicked 3 goals but they still would have lost - and he gets at least 3 'gifts' - their opinion!

yeh im sure that there opinion. essendons opinion was that nablett would have played, done nothing and returned to country football. he later finds out that gablett is not his real father, hence different genes and no skills.

Was an absolute disgrace. it was the worst i have ever seen. so many terrible free kicks called, so many obvious free kicks not paid. I dont want this to sound like an essendon fan making an excuse because we probably got a better deal in the end, but they were terrible tonight.

You sound like an essendon fan making an excuse.

I think we can all agree that 'hands in the back' is a stupid rule and killing the game.

I would say that 9 out of 10 umpires hate it too... make their job more difficult.

It rather annoyed me to see defenders not knowing what to do. If they got behind their man they can't do a thing. :( :mad:

Its that McBurney guy, he is hopeless, loves to ping holding the ball.
Worst umpire in the leauge followed by Goldstunk and Goofy Mclaren

Can we get away from these umpire bshing excuses whenever a team loses a game? Normally in an 8 game weekend we have 8 winners and 8 whiners.

Let's talk about something less boring instead.

I have been saying it for a few months and I used to be an umpire supporter not knocker.

They have lost the plot. Their performances are farcacle and last night was no exception, they were woeful.

The new rules/intepretations were clearly designed to manufacture more places for them to hide and quite simply to provide more excuses for their incompetitence.

It is disgusting that with all the money the AFL have that they won't bring in some better ones and pay them more if necessary to lure them over.

I have been saying it for a few months and I used to be an umpire supporter not knocker.

They have lost the plot. Their performances are farcacle and last night was no exception, they were woeful.

The new rules/intepretations were clearly designed to manufacture more places for them to hide and quite simply to provide more excuses for their incompetitence.

It is disgusting that with all the money the AFL have that they won't bring in some better ones and pay them more if necessary to lure them over.

i agree. we need to settle of a decent set of rules and leave it alone. why the need to change something all the time. its crazy. soccer has had like two rule changes in 50 odd years or something.

i agree. we need to settle of a decent set of rules and leave it alone. why the need to change something all the time. its crazy. soccer has had like two rule changes in 50 odd years or something.

I'm telling you the AFL pushed this one through.

WHY?????????????????/

Because miiiiister statistics Anderson, realised that by adding additional greyness to the rules would help him doctor his incorrect umpiring decisions report to Vlad.

I can't believe how easily the AFL keeps pulling the wool over supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only watched the 1st quarter before falling asleep on the couch (Doh!)

Did all this happen in the remaining 3 quarters? I thought the umpiring I saw was spot on.

Was an absolute disgrace. it was the worst i have ever seen. so many terrible free kicks called, so many obvious free kicks not paid. I dont want this to sound like an essendon fan making an excuse because we probably got a better deal in the end, but they were terrible tonight.
The rules committee is killing Australian rules football. This comment is made after every game just about ,surely the powers that be in the AFL must see and hear the fans going insane trying to understand incidental touching rules
and arms round the neck in scrums (s**t did I say scrums)that don't get paid,
holding the ball? holding the man? how far is 15 metres is it 8 metres or is it 10 metres or WHAT. I think the game is still good because of the pace its played at and the collisions are really tough and the hand speed is good,
but,and its a big but,scrounging around on the ground by five six or eight players then finding the umpire giving a holding the ball free against the poor bugger at the bottom after he has couragiously gone in for the ball is baffling.
I think its baffling for the Umps as well, thats a big problem, its got to change next year or this game will lose its soul.We don't see that many screamers any more either, too many ball ups,you can hold your ground with your fore arm from a player moving back into you, but if you accidently brush his back for a split second with an open hand and the umpire happens to see it, he's abliged to give a free, its seriously crazy, worse, a hell of a lot of times its simply unfair and that is an indictment on our magnificent game!
Any one remember the commercial "I'd like to see that" the AFL blasted across TV not so long ago well WHERE HAS THAT ALL GONE BECAUSE MOST OF IT HAS GONE.

I only watched the 1st quarter before falling asleep on the couch (Doh!)

Did all this happen in the remaining 3 quarters? I thought the umpiring I saw was spot on.

Yep, you were either watching a completely different game or you weren't watching it at all. The umpiring was woeful. I saw it on Ch 7 and again on Foxtel. It's on again on Foxtel at 5pm today.

As for those who thought the free against MJ was BS, the only thing the umpire got wrong there was for paying it in the back instead of over the shoulder. MJ's arm was clearly over Chappy's shoulder. Watch it!

The infamous free against Scarlett for giving Lucas a static shock - so much so Lucas was thrown forward :rolleyes: - was another highlight reel for KB to cream himself over. Loved hearing JB's response to the decision on Triple M last night.

Last but not least, how the hell did Mal Michael not get a 50 against him for decking Mooney after he took that mark 20 out in front? Fair enough he was only 20 out but where's that magical but four letter word, consistency?

The sad thing is we've got so called footballing 'greats' who are in high places in the umpiring world that are accepting this poor excuse for umpiring and not doing jack about it. What does that say about the state of our game?

The rules committee is killing Australian rules football. This comment is made after every game just about ,surely the powers that be in the AFL must see and hear the fans going insane trying to understand incidental touching rules
and arms round the neck in scrums (s**t did I say scrums)that don't get paid,
holding the ball? holding the man? how far is 15 metres is it 8 metres or is it 10 metres or WHAT. I think the game is still good because of the pace its played at and the collisions are really tough and the hand speed is good,
but,and its a big but,scrounging around on the ground by five six or eight players then finding the umpire giving a holding the ball free against the poor bugger at the bottom after he has couragiously gone in for the ball is baffling.
I think its baffling for the Umps as well, thats a big problem, its got to change next year or this game will lose its soul.We don't see that many screamers any more either, too many ball ups,you can hold your ground with your fore arm from a player moving back into you, but if you accidently brush his back for a split second with an open hand and the umpire happens to see it, he's abliged to give a free, its seriously crazy, worse, a hell of a lot of times its simply unfair and that is an indictment on our magnificent game!
Any one remember the commercial "I'd like to see that" the AFL blasted across TV not so long ago well WHERE HAS THAT ALL GONE BECAUSE MOST OF IT HAS GONE.

You give me sanity my friend... :rolleyes: I couldn't agree more ...

great post.:thumbsu:

Geeze a surprising response there from a Bummer fan.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Uh huh. He's basically saying stop whingeing about umpires because we lost......

Let me get this right ok?
You have a crack at Essendon supporters for whingeing about umpires, yet when an Essendon fan says STOP whingeing you still have a crack?:rolleyes:

As an objective observer, last night's umpiring was just awful. It had no impact on the final result but there were half a dozen just dreadful decisions - not 50/50s that could go either way, just blatant errors.

The HTB decision in Q1 where Lucas ended up scoring a goal is my candidate for worst decision of the year. Just a lazy decision by an ump who clearly wasn't in the right position.

Mostly, the poor decisions (or non-decisions) I saw went in Essendon's favour. Like the rugby-throw Ripper mentioned, Hislop's holding-the-ball, and the very soft (but IMHO "technically" correct) free to Lucas for a hand on his back. Made less than zero difference to the marking contest, but the hand was there.

Umpires were shocking, not favouring either side so don't get your knickers in a knot neutral fans. But since when can you get tackled, drop the ball and have it not be a free kick? When did they change that rule?

Waiting for the inevitible answer from the haters here... :eek: :p

Waiting for the inevitible answer from the haters here... :eek: :p
Perfect case was against Hislop (I think). Got the ball, took a couple of steps, stopped, got tackled and dropped the ball. I was baffled as to how it wasn't a free.

There you go neutral fans. I used an Essendon case just to prove I'm not whinging about the umps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back