Toast Umpires high-fiving players during a game

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you guys feel about it? I personally found it very refreshing and brave.
It was a low five ScragCity not a high five !

I'd prefer they keep their mutual handjobs for the dressing room.

Footy is meant to be wholesome family entertainment. It's definitely not a good look in front of 30,000 people.

I don't like it. The AFL keeps pumping up the rule of no umpire contact, even light touching and enforces it with heavy fines and now we can allow high/low fives? Umpires are not there to show reactions in a physical sense so let's keep to the status quo.

Seriously could care less, despite being a bit of a 'please can everyone look at me and the job I'm doing' type Razor I find be one of the better umpires especially in terms of interpretation and consistency.

Seriously could care less, despite being a bit of a 'please can everyone look at me and the job I'm doing' type Razor I find be one of the better umpires especially in terms of interpretation and consistency.

Not sure if I should give a like for sarcasm or rant at you in a reply

I've got a vague recollection of Goldspink one day at the MCG giving Paul Kelly a pat on the backside when he was protecting him from that thug Tony Liberatore :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats wrong with youse guys? I personally love seeing the true stars of our game put themselves front of stage where they truely belong. Like Horatio they play a bigger part in the story of our great game than anybody appreciates having been an unappreciated extra of the game for far too long. Its a real shame that he is now approaching 65 years of age and the looming spectre of retirement as we need more personalities like 'Razor Ray' in the game not fewer. It'll be a sad day for us all when we all gather to witness the retirement of Ray Chamberlain as he does a well deserved rose strewn lap of the 'G' in an horse drawn gilded carriage in front of 100 thousand appreciative admirers. The AFL would no doubt love to hold this momentous occasion on Grand Final day, but Ray is far too magnanimous to allow his departure from the game to overshadow that day, so the Friday preceding will suffice as nothing of importance is happening then.

Huzzah Ray. Huzzah!

Loved it, nothing cheeky about it at all just satire. Miskicked it out if bounds and got lucky. Different if it was a free for staging or something and he did it to take the piss

Would you be so forgiving if in a final a player got away with kicking it deliberately out of bounds and high fived the umpire with several minutes remaining costing your team the win?

It was a bad look and gives the impression of favouritism from the umpires. We already see too much of them over umpiring the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Would you be so forgiving if in a final a player got away with kicking it deliberately out of bounds and high fived the umpire with several minutes remaining costing your team the win?

It was a bad look and gives the impression of favouritism from the umpires. We already see too much of them over umpiring the game.

The high five was after the fact, not like the umpires made the call because they knew they would get one

Ray is the Hamish McLachlan of umpiring. It's all about 'look at me' and being matey and a complete fanboy of the players.

Last edited:
I had no real issue with it. The difference between this and other contact scenarios, is that the player put his hand out as an invitation to the umpire to five him. Compared to grabbing an umpires arm, or pushing an umpire which are both with negative and forceful intent, and a player slapping an umpire on the ass is an act that wasn't invited/with the umpires permission

Remove this Banner Ad

Back