Umpires in perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough.

Ok then lets play this game properly.

Free kick win/loss at home against interstate sides (2011-15)

West Coast 91%
Port Adelaide 78%
Carlton 78%
Western Bulldogs 78%
Geelong 74%
Essendon 72%
Richmond 67%
North Melbourne 65%
Adelaide 63%
Hawthorn 62%
Fremantle 61%
Sydney 61%
Melbourne 60%
GWS Giants 52%
Collingwood 52%
Brisbane Lions 49%
Gold Coast 47%
St Kilda 47%

Overall Free Kick Differential (2011-15)

West Coast Eagles +349
Carlton +112
Port Adelaide +107
North Melbourne +76
Adelaide Crows +48
Richmond +37
Collingwood +17
Western Bulldogs-8
Geelong Cats -23
GWS Giants -25
Sydney Swans -26
Hawthorn-35
Fremantle-56
Essendon-64
Melbourne -83
Gold Coast Suns -106
St Kilda -137
Brisbane Lions -183

Season 2008 WCE Average 22 frees for and 16.9 against, second only to Geelong, but finish 2nd last on the ladder.

Season 2010 WCE Average 22.2 frees for and 18.6 against to top the frees for table, but finish stone motherless last.

Season 2012 WCE tallied 50 more free kicks than the nearest competitor which was Hawthorn.

In between 2005 and now West Coast's average frees for compared to their opponents has them in the following positions on the "ladder"

2005 4th
2006 2nd
2007 1st
2008 1st (2nd last on the ladder)
2009 6th :eek:
2010 1st
2011 2nd
2012 1st
2013 1st
2014 3rd
2015 1st
2016 6th

Not once in 12 seasons have West Coast even dropped into the bottom half of teams in terms of frees differential, and have been regularly been given the easiest runs in the league.

No matter what way you try and spin it, statistics say that over a very long time West Coast have been given an easy run, even when the team itself is playing badly.

Now that we've "confirmed" that we get a good run with the umpires, we need to ask why.
Is it possible that we train/practice limited frees against, and claiming free's for?
Or can we only come to the conclusion that West Coast have been cheating for 10 years?

I think it'd be a pretty interesting PhD project to look at free kick trends in the AFL. Champion data would have some pretty in-depth stats over several seasons to look at that you could use to pin down reasons why we consistently have a positive free kick differential and whether that relates to venue (as people are suggesting here). For anyone interested, they did something similar with all the data they collect in major league baseball and how umpires calls are influenced by what they have already called (http://freakonomics.com/podcast/make-bad-decision/).
I would hazard a guess that someone in our football department has identified free kicks as a major influence on games, and has broken it down and implemented measures for us to gain as much benefit as possible by drawing frees and limiting free kicks given away. If your team isn't doing the same, I'd be questioning why they're not taking steps to take advantage in that area (much like we did by hitting the gym in the early 90's. Bigger bodies make better footballers, who would've thought it?). I also wouldn't be surprised if our dominant ruck divisions over those years have also drawn a couple of free kicks a game. And most of you interstaters that come to Perth don't travel so well either. It's hard to win free kicks when you can't get the ball.
But you know, it's another WCE conspiracy....:rolleyes:

I also wouldn't be surprised if our dominant ruck divisions over those years have also drawn a couple of free kicks a game. And most of you interstaters that come to Perth don't travel so well either. It's hard to win free kicks when you can't get the ball.
But you know, it's another WCE conspiracy....:rolleyes:

That must be it, Freo obviously need a dominant ruck division.

When you have a ruckman that always wins hitouts but can't put it to your team's advantage then yes you do

I will be taking note of hit outs to advantage and free kicks in the upcoming derby.
Should be interesting, I already know who will win the free kick count.

I will be taking note of hit outs to advantage and free kicks in the upcoming derby.
Boo harder then.

Cox led the league for frees in 2011 and 2012 and was consistently up there for the rest of his career. Sandi is nowhere near it, so maybe he gets stiffed, or maybe he's too tall to infringe.

Now that we've "confirmed" that we get a good run with the umpires, we need to ask why.
Is it possible that we train/practice limited frees against, and claiming free's for?
Or can we only come to the conclusion that West Coast have been cheating for 10 years?

Clearly it's the clamour and raw energy your crowd of pensioners exert that's influencing the umps.

tonight's effort by the men in green must out an end to this myth. Pathetic is th most generous description to be given. fortunately the best team won regardless,

Freo didn't get the sort of armchair ride from the umpires West Coast gets in home games but they can't say they were hard done by either.

They ended up winning the free kick count and had a few dodgy calls go their way in the last quarter which helped them over the line like that obvious deliberate call being ignored.

The umpires often try to make games have close finishes and last night was no exception.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo didn't get the sort of armchair ride from the umpires West Coast gets in home games but they can't say they were hard done by either.

They ended up winning the free kick count and had a few dodgy calls go their way in the last quarter which helped them over the line like that obvious deliberate call being ignored.

The umpires often try to make games have close finishes and last night was no exception.
The TV reception in your basement must have been out for the first half.

Hilarious, a Hawks supporter believing they are hard done by when it comes to umpiring. At least we aren't that deluded.

You really want to continue this myth and dribble?

Ok, lets roll out some stats and you tell me which club should be mocked for it's free kick differentials:

2016 +17
2015 +17
2014 +11
2013 -3

vs

2013 +80
2014 +47
2015 +85
2016 +23

Then of course we have the Bulldogs at +99 at the end of the home and away which then ballooned out to +112 in finals.

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/stats

When you have a ruckman that always wins hitouts but can't put it to your team's advantage then yes you do
We were crap but that still doesn't change the fact the umpiring was as s**t as expected.
Not sure where you get the hitouts to advantage figures from but half way through the last quarter it was something like 16 to Sandi 6 to WC, free kicks ended up 20 to 13.
The bias started within the first minute or so when we were not given the obvious HTB right in front of our goal the ball went down the other end and JK kicked the first goal.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

Ok then lets play this game properly.

Free kick win/loss at home against interstate sides (2011-15)

West Coast 91%
Port Adelaide 78%
Carlton 78%
Western Bulldogs 78%
Geelong 74%
Essendon 72%
Richmond 67%
North Melbourne 65%
Adelaide 63%
Hawthorn 62%
Fremantle 61%
Sydney 61%
Melbourne 60%
GWS Giants 52%
Collingwood 52%
Brisbane Lions 49%
Gold Coast 47%
St Kilda 47%

Overall Free Kick Differential (2011-15)

West Coast Eagles +349
Carlton +112
Port Adelaide +107
North Melbourne +76
Adelaide Crows +48
Richmond +37
Collingwood +17
Western Bulldogs-8
Geelong Cats -23
GWS Giants -25
Sydney Swans -26
Hawthorn-35
Fremantle-56
Essendon-64
Melbourne -83
Gold Coast Suns -106
St Kilda -137
Brisbane Lions -183

Season 2008 WCE Average 22 frees for and 16.9 against, second only to Geelong, but finish 2nd last on the ladder.

Season 2010 WCE Average 22.2 frees for and 18.6 against to top the frees for table, but finish stone motherless last.

Season 2012 WCE tallied 50 more free kicks than the nearest competitor which was Hawthorn.

In between 2005 and now West Coast's average frees for compared to their opponents has them in the following positions on the "ladder"

2005 4th
2006 2nd
2007 1st
2008 1st (2nd last on the ladder)
2009 6th :eek:
2010 1st
2011 2nd
2012 1st
2013 1st
2014 3rd
2015 1st
2016 6th

Not once in 12 seasons have West Coast even dropped into the bottom half of teams in terms of frees differential, and have been regularly been given the easiest runs in the league.

No matter what way you try and spin it, statistics say that over a very long time West Coast have been given an easy run, even when the team itself is playing badly.
If numbers were Shakira's hips.

We were crap but that still doesn't change the fact the umpiring was as s**t as expected.
Not sure where you get the hitouts to advantage figures from but half way through the last quarter it was something like 16 to Sandi 6 to WC, free kicks ended up 20 to 13.
The bias started within the first minute or so when we were not given the obvious HTB right in front of our goal the ball went down the other end and JK kicked the first goal.
Sandilands also had more than double the total number of hitouts of WC. And WC had more clearances. So either Giles is a dominant ruckman like Sandilands, or Sandilands is only as good as Giles :$

The free kick you refer to I agree with. There were a few more that Freo were denied, and some that WC were denied. Certainly had no effect on the outcome of the game however

Well done west coast, first game at home this year won not thanks to the umps (they were the icing on the cake but not the cake, geez that Yeo is playing good footy)

Up to +29 frees for at Subiaco this season from three games, can't deny something is wrong there
Yep numbers mean everything, like how Langdon had the most possessions for Freo - he must've been BOG for them right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back