Umpires influencing games: Exhibit 1 Car v Fre

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
All this sage like wisdom from Blues supporters right now.

See you on your board next loss hey? I just might remind you of some of the pearls.of wisdom you've been dropping.

I'm sure it'll go down well hey?

Except 95% of us agree the game was poorly umpired and the ending was a shocker. It’s just great to finally be on the right side of a s**t house call.

Direct your anger elsewhere.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
They paid in the back because they were pushed as they kicked. Therefore like any other regular free kick it is at the spot it occurred. They weren’t downfield frees so not sure why you’re quoting downfield rules.

This rule annoys me and it has taken too long to change. Needs to become a downfield free kick because at the moment it benefits the player who pushes in the back. Either it disrupts the kick and it isn’t paid, or it’s brought back to where the free kick is, the game is slowed down and the team gets to set up their defense.

But as you said it’s being correctly paid at the moment.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not sure that it has to be the shortest possible path, I thought just a straight line back into play. I've definitely seen others play on out of bounds but maybe not carry the ball as far as that. The umps often give a bit of leeway with setting marks on the boundary line, maybe it was a case of near enough to the line of the mark was good enough. Will be interesting to see how they rule it.
I’ve seen plenty of defenders take a free kick from out of bounds in a similar manner. Taberner manned the mark terribly and gave Docherty free space. It isn’t some new thing. As long as the player runs in a straight line heading onto the field it is fine. Umpire calls it back if it’s not the case.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Except 95% of us agree the game was poorly umpired and the ending was a shocker. It’s just great to finally be on the right side of a sh*t house call.

Direct your anger elsewhere.

Garbage. We've had a Carlton mod strutting around on our board none the less quoting rules of the game that apparently justify everything.

Direct your delusion elsewhere.

carlton2dabone

Premiership Player
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
How you can compare 4 suspect decisions in 10 seconds with anything else in that game is amazing.

I can compare the fact that you got 2 gifted goals from suspect decisions that added 12 points to your overall score
(One of those decisions was 10m directly in front of goal)

How can you complain about a decision at the end of the game that finally have us a suspect shot on goal, albeit from 50m out over the boundary line and after the siren?

carlton2dabone

Premiership Player
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
All this sage like wisdom from Blues supporters right now.

See you on your board next loss hey? I just might remind you of some of the pearls.of wisdom you've been dropping.

I'm sure it'll go down well hey?

No sage advice from me.

Umpires raped my team early and gifted your team 2 goals for nothing early, so if we got a lucky one at the end of the match that still required one of the best clutch goals after the siren that I have seen, then boo hoo if we aren’t willing to agree you were robbed.

Funny how Freo supporters complain about the last decision but say nothing about the 2 goals gifted to you by umpires.

carlton2dabone

Premiership Player
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Are you also cancelling out the Casboult goal for push in the back and the Cottrell goal for a clear throw from Cripps? Or do we just pick and choose.

It was an awfully umpired match in an awfully umpired season and that last free kick takes the cake. Freo only have themselves to blame though, they played very poorly from QT on and should’ve been put away but for some inaccurate kicking.

Don’t think we’ll see a downfield free kick for an attempted smother for the rest of the year and by god I hope we don’t. Ludicrous decision, got caught up in the drama.

We can go on for days with this, what about the punch over the boundary line directly from a Handball by a freo defender (Thats an automatic deliberate), etc etc.

it’s one thing for a player to infringe in the ruck and still be allowed to gather the ball and kick a goal.

it’s an entirely other thing for a defender to legitimately stop a forward getting the ball only to have an umpire gift the forward a shot in front of goal because he wasn’t good enough to win it himself.

but We agree, you get no argument from Carlton supporters about how crap umpires are, have been for years and keep getting worse week after week.

carlton2dabone

Premiership Player
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Then we get back to 30/40 downfields a game don't we????

what about the 30/40 ruck infringement per game, or the 30/40 HTB during a game, or 30/40 highs or in the back during a game, or the 100 throws a game, Etc etc.

If you want to argue that the last decision was inconsistent with other similar infringements during the game then ok I agree, but there is a lot of inconsistency with all kinds of infringements during the game.

We suffered from inconsistent umpiring throughout the game as well, why is that inconsistent umpiring less important than the last 17 seconds?

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
Umps are disgraceful and need to be seriously looked up before they destroy the sport. Nobody knows what the hell is going on anymore. Not even supporters who watch every game have any idea of how events are going to be officiated. Anyone got a clue what constitutes HTB anymore? Throws all throughout the games and my new favourite of when you get taken to ground the appropriate action seems to be just placing the ball on the ground to dispose of it.

Happy with the 4 points but its getting to the point of actually destroying the spectacle of the sport.
How have the afl allowed umpiring to get so bad.
For years now every second week you can watch an eagle team dragged over the line in Perth.
Umpires are running around interpreting rules like they are god.
They go on talk back radio over here & talk them selves up.
Befriending or berating players.

It is all so unprofessional & pissing off players & supporters ever week.
Umpiring is stuck in the 80's.

Pay them decent money, educate them & monitor their conduct..

Nice goal by the way 😍😪

carlton2dabone

Premiership Player
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
How have the afl allowed umpiring to get so bad.
For years now every second week you can watch an eagle team dragged over the line in Perth.
Umpires are running around interpreting rules like they are god.
They go on talk back radio over here & talk them selves up.
Befriending or berating players.

It is all so unprofessional & pissing off players & supporters ever week.
Umpiring is stuck in the 80's.

Pay them decent money, educate them & monitor their conduct..

Nice goal by the way 😍😪

umpires bring the problem on to themselves by paying soft free kicks that don’t impact contests instead of just blowing the whistle for only blatant infringements and letting everything else go.

by paying soft free kicks sometimes, they are essentially using their interpretation more than needed, Whereas blatant infringementS require less interpretation.

Plucking a soft free out of nowhere not only angers fans at the time of the free kick, but also angers them for the rest of the game when many similar soft free kicks are overlooked and not paid.

This causes endless inconsistencies. They need to just stick to blatant frees that require less interpretation and both fans and players alike will be much happier.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
If ever anyone was in any doubt that umpires can influence games, watch the last 5 minutes of this game.
Downfield frees ignored, deliberate OOB’s, clear HTB’s ignored, then the absolute joke of a free to Car with 17 seconds left.
Magnificent kick by Newnes, but if he’d missed I’m sure the umpires would have found a way to give him another go.
Just disgraceful, and almost worthy of match fixing investigations. (Late edit: crossout, unfair on my part)
(and no, I don’t gamble, there‘s no ulterior motive here)
How on earth has our game come to this?

Think you should've read a rule book before starting this thread...

The only thing the umps stuffed up was giving the ball to Newnes and not Gibbons.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Except for the fact you cant pay a downfield free kick when it goes oof.
It's always a downfield free if a player is bumped after a kick. It takes precedence over the OOB. The free is given where the umpires deem the ball to have crossed the line.

Downfield call was correct.

Back