Umpires influencing games: Exhibit 1 Car v Fre

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the umpires should have a press conference after the game and get asked questions in the same way coaches would - although, I guess it would be difficult to find journalists without a team bias, especially where it involves an away team.

have a look at the replay and then tell me where the ball went out of bounds.. pretty much right over top of the 50m arc and boundary line..

a carlton player (no.40) was right at that point and watched it go out... he even stands the mark thinking it is a freo free kick from there for oobotf..

then when the ump says its a downfield free all of a sudden the mark for newnes’s kick is set 10-15m closer to goal... he shouldve been kicking for goal from outside 50 with a freo player manning the mark on the 50m arc.

its clear as day if you watch the replay.

I’m not debating either if those points - you’re correct. Both those parts were adjudicated poorly. Im not complaining though.

In close games yes, the umpires are vital.

I think the rules and interpretations have changed so much over the last 15 years that its just become harder and harder to umpire.

Freo didn't deserve to win that game though, they played a poor last quarter

Docherty even runs forward of the mark and is outside the field of play, just another **** up

The mark is between Tabs and Mzungu (pink bib), the ump steps backwards to let him pass - still on the wrong side of the boundary, without either of the 2 umps using their OPSM sponsorship's to see what's wrong in this pic.

1597524521114.png

My understanding is that this is okay as long as you run in a straight line to bring it into play. If you change direction whilst out of bounds it would then be a throw in.

20.3.1 Bringing the Football Back Into Play
(a) A Player who is awarded a Mark or Free Kick and attempts to bring the football back into play or is called to play on from beyond the Boundary Line must bring the football back into play.

20.3.2 Moving in One Direction
(a) A Player who is awarded a Mark or Free Kick may bring the football back into play from outside the Playing Surface beyond the Boundary Line provided that the Player moves in one direction off the line of The Mark in the process of re-entering the Playing Surface.
On the line of the mark though. Shots at goal, players are constantly sent back when they are lining up so they don't give themselves a better angle (until they commit to play and enter the field).

Last edited:
For what its worth, here is my take. Bad decisions (and this was) do not only influence the result of games in the final 30 seconds- please watch the first quarter for a more balanced view. Also, I don't think Newnes and Gibbons did anything particularly smart, if you watch the vision, Newnes rushed in to go on the mark, he had no idea it was going to be Carltons kick.

Both frees where there weather you like it or not if they had been payed any other time during the game know one would say a thing about it the fact they were paid in the dying seconds and now everyone wants to cry like babies 😂
1. That is the problem - similar free kicks WERE NOT paid throughout the game. If that was deliberate OOB, the umpires missed 20 others throughout the game. If that was a downfield free, the umpires missed 40 others throughout the game.
2. Learn to English.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what its worth, here is my take. Bad decisions (and this was) do not only influence the result of games in the final 30 seconds- please watch the first quarter for a more balanced view. Also, I don't think Newnes and Gibbons did anything particularly smart, if you watch the vision, Newnes rushed in to go on the mark, he had no idea it was going to be Carltons kick.
Huh? If neither of those bad decisions were paid, Freo win the game?!?

I have some sympathy for the umpires with how much interpretation is required under the current rules. But only some. The rules need to change but the umpires also need to get better at carrying them out. If they're not full-time professionals, they need to be. And if they are already, they need to be paid more but also be held to a high standard and dropped if they underperform.

Goes deeper than that my friend. Russia and China involved, apparently Kim Jong even had an interest in this result. Victoria must always win!

You can never trust those guys ever. I’m sending an e mail to Trump to sort this out.

The casual observer goes wow that game wasnt played at its finest but it was a close with an exciting finish. The AFL love that even more than high scoring games which generate lots of ad breaks...

The die hard fans who know football goes s**t. Theres something broken that needs fixing before its a big final or worse a GF and lives are changed forever...

But then who would keep the VFL afloat?

Hey, the VFL is happy to keep it’s Western franchises, but, you guys seem really upset. Out of the 4 clubs who didn’t take the AFL cash, 2 were Victorian. It’s just such an uneven comp this year with WA, SA and QLD teams all getting heaps of home games while the Vic teams get nothing all the while only 17 rounds getting played. Definitely #VICBIAS going on.

It's always a downfield free if a player is bumped after a kick. It takes precedence over the OOB. The free is given where the umpires deem the ball to have crossed the line.

Downfield call was correct.
It crosses the line about 60m out. Free was paid an extra 20m closer to goal where the ball hits the fence. Farcical that they kept just giving Carlton advantages including the wrong person taking the kick.

The casual observer goes wow that game wasnt played at its finest but it was a close with an exciting finish. The AFL love that even more than high scoring games which generate lots of ad breaks...

The die hard fans who know football goes sh*t. Theres something broken that needs fixing before its a big final or worse a GF and lives are changed forever...
If the game was adjudicated properly and the incorrect frees not paid we win by even more.

Umpires kept you in the game all night you should be grateful and thanking them for being on the take. Saved you losing percentage.

Carlton should complain about being robbed of a comfortable win but we are too classy for that.

Someone was quick on the Wiki

“The free kick is awarded at the spot where the kick or handpass lands or is first possessed, to the nearest player to the spot (unless the disposal is backwards, or the ball lands out of bounds (excluding Carlton v Fremantle games)”
This is the 2019 rule.

The afl removed this to make it less clear. Now it says the umpire is always right.

I have no idea where the kick should havee been taken from

If the game was adjudicated properly and the incorrect frees not paid we win by even more.

Umpires kept you in the game all night you should be grateful and thanking them for being on the take. Saved you losing percentage.

Carlton should complain about being robbed of a comfortable win but we are too classy for that.
Yeah right, you won the free kick count yet umpires favoured Freo after that finish....

Free kick was there.

I don't think it was there.

I cbf'd looking up the laws, but didn't the Freo guy jump to smother the ball whilst Docherty had it, and then do his best to avoid contact on the way down? The contact was just incidental wasn't it?

He didn't get him high, and the force wasn't even close to excessive (despite the flop from Docherty).

I was flummoxed when the free was paid. And still am.

I think the umpires should have a press conference after the game and get asked questions in the same way coaches would - although, I guess it would be difficult to find journalists without a team bias, especially where it involves an away team.

Everything aside, this is a great idea. Makes them more accountable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back