Umpires influencing games: Exhibit 1 Car v Fre

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Examine ALL the game and get back to me nuffy
I don't have to. I'm telling my story, you tell yours.
Or do you need the umpire or the AFL to do that for you as well?

Both ways huh? Did they lead to goals? In a game where each side kicked 5 goals, 2 of Freo's were the softest you'll ever see.

The deliberate was there, the downfield free was there, Docherty played on outside the boundary but that's a technical thing. If he had have played on over the line, he still would have run clear so you'd be looking for the ump to bring him back over the mark in that situation, the ball looked to have crossed the 50, over Gibbons head as he was standing on the 50, not going out right beside him, and yeah Gibbons was closest, but I suspect the umpire gave the kick to who he believed was taking the mark for the Fremantle kick in from out of bounds, not to who was closest when the ball went out. The confusion caused that mistake, although the umpire can only call it from when he knows the decision and not from vision on the TV.
So at least you admit that the Docherty play on was wrong, and that Gibbons shouldn't have had the kick. Now just admit that the kick should have been from outside 50 and you'll be an honest Carlton supporter in this thread. And you'd be the only one.

The AFL has admitted the umpires were wrong, Newnes shouldn’t have taken the kick. I’m amazed to be honest.

View attachment 938427

They knew they had to admit they got something wrong so picked the least controversial one. That AFL ruling was written by a PR guy over the weekend. All ticked off, a minor concession but also some wiggle room. Classic AFL.

Fair enough. Can’t understand what was going thru Liam Jones’s mind then.
I watched it back before and it was one of those awkward left hand handballs you do when you're a s**t left handed handballer. He gets fist to it. Regardless you can't play on to a teammate who is standing inside the zone. Hence why it was called back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They knew they had to admit they got something wrong so picked the least controversial one. That AFL ruling was written by a PR guy over the weekend. All ticked off, a minor concession but also some wiggle room. Classic AFL.

The AFL and the netflix drama Chernobyl have a lot in common. Soviet Russia like the AFL are always right in the media, any negative information that brings the state into a bad light is quickly covered up and alternative facts are published as the truth.

The AFL are never going to admit the negligent actions from the umpires on the night led to a Carlton victory.

As far as i am concerned if they let this result stand without repercussion and they are, then i think it is time for a new administration that is held accountable for their actions.

foxfooty showed a graphic of where the ball went out of bounds. Boundary umpire signals on the full, then runs to the exact spot and points to it as normal.

I don’t get why fans blindly agree with an umpire just because the call went their way? It’s nothing to do with Carlton, they did nothing wrong. The umpire stuffed it up.

if Freo won the game in the exact same circumstance reversed, I’d celebrate, laugh & agree that the umpire completely cooked it.
Because there has been this constant insinuation by your fans that somehow this win isn't legitimate just because an umpire made an error.

You can go through the entire game and find s**t umpiring that resulted in goals both ways from Taberner getting a garbage holding free while he held onto Weitering too, to Cripps throwing the footy and it creating a chain that led to a Carlton goal. There was s**t umpiring all game and the end one was just another s**t decision. It wasn't some match fixing conspiracy to win the game for Carlton. The umpire wouldn't have had a clue as to whether Jack Newnes could kick the goal either, he just tricked the umpire into letting him take it. It happens all the time.

The Brayshaw downfield could go either way. So yes it would piss you of as a losing fan of that game but I think like myself a lot of Carlton fans are sick of people just talking absolute bullshit about the rules proving they have no idea. I'm not sure which argument was more ridiculous. The one that Docherty cannot just take off from where the mark is and run in a straight line back into play or that a downfield kick means it should have gone back to Docherty. Just consider that for a second. What on earth do people think downfield means? Can also throw in the ranting about deliberate by people who clearly haven't moved on from the days where you could always go for the boundary. Umpires are red hot on deliberately hitting the ball towards the boundary.

There has been that much whinging by fans that you'd think a 150m penalty was paid. I'm happy to hear that the Brayshaw free was iffy but I'm sick of hearing how there were 6 errors by the umpires and crap like that. No there weren't. Lot of Freo fans whinging about the supposed illegal Docherty play on which I might add has been discussed by absolutely nobody and the Freo bench didn't even blink, so I'm not sure why it is even being argued. Regardless hardly any mention of Taberner just falling asleep and allowing Docherty to play on from the mark. But yeah it's all the umpires fault you lost. Nothing to do with Taberner's stupidity on the wing from giving the umpire an excuse to pay deliberate and then allowing Docherty to get going quickly by not manning the mark. All this umpire whinging too and zero mention of how incredible Jack Newnes kick was. It wasn't some given. He had to execute an incredibly tough kick and did.

So at least you admit that the Docherty play on was wrong, and that Gibbons shouldn't have had the kick. Now just admit that the kick should have been from outside 50 and you'll be an honest Carlton supporter in this thread. And you'd be the only one.
Docherty play on wasn't wrong. Learn the rules.

I haven't heard anyone in the industry mention it. The Freo bench who stood right behind Docherty didn't react at all. If it was such a blatantly illegal move they'd be going nuts. Only Bigfooty posters who don't know the rules well enough arguing it.

Freo fans demanding their pound of flesh. Sorry not happening. One of the best parts of the win is the melts from opposition fans who hate Carlton. You see the same ones in every carlton related thread. It's great. I love the thought of these people, say a Collingwood supporter, sitting on their couches on a Monday night, getting upset because Carlton won a football game on Saturday night in controversial circumstances. And then thinking of a witty remark about Carlton's recent history to devalue their win. Fadge, you must be very sad and very lonely.

Freo fans demanding their pound of flesh. Sorry not happening. One of the best parts of the win is the melts from opposition fans who hate Carlton. You see the same ones in every carlton related thread. It's great. I love the thought of these people, say a Collingwood supporter, sitting on their couches on a Monday night, getting upset because Carlton won a football game on Saturday night in controversial circumstances. And then thinking of a witty remark about Carlton's recent history to devalue their win. Fadge, you must be very sad and very lonely.

I reckon Carlton supporters are melting harder than anyone else

Because there has been this constant insinuation by your fans that somehow this win isn't legitimate just because an umpire made an error.

You can go through the entire game and find sh*t umpiring that resulted in goals both ways from Taberner getting a garbage holding free while he held onto Weitering too, to Cripps throwing the footy and it creating a chain that led to a Carlton goal. There was sh*t umpiring all game and the end one was just another sh*t decision. It wasn't some match fixing conspiracy to win the game for Carlton. The umpire wouldn't have had a clue as to whether Jack Newnes could kick the goal either, he just tricked the umpire into letting him take it. It happens all the time.

The Brayshaw downfield could go either way. So yes it would piss you of as a losing fan of that game but I think like myself a lot of Carlton fans are sick of people just talking absolute bullshit about the rules proving they have no idea. I'm not sure which argument was more ridiculous. The one that Docherty cannot just take off from where the mark is and run in a straight line back into play or that a downfield kick means it should have gone back to Docherty. Just consider that for a second. What on earth do people think downfield means? Can also throw in the ranting about deliberate by people who clearly haven't moved on from the days where you could always go for the boundary. Umpires are red hot on deliberately hitting the ball towards the boundary.

There has been that much whinging by fans that you'd think a 150m penalty was paid. I'm happy to hear that the Brayshaw free was iffy but I'm sick of hearing how there were 6 errors by the umpires and crap like that. No there weren't. Lot of Freo fans whinging about the supposed illegal Docherty play on which I might add has been discussed by absolutely nobody and the Freo bench didn't even blink, so I'm not sure why it is even being argued. Regardless hardly any mention of Taberner just falling asleep and allowing Docherty to play on from the mark. But yeah it's all the umpires fault you lost. Nothing to do with Taberner's stupidity on the wing from giving the umpire an excuse to pay deliberate and then allowing Docherty to get going quickly by not manning the mark. All this umpire whinging too and zero mention of how incredible Jack Newnes kick was. It wasn't some given. He had to execute an incredibly tough kick and did.

it’s legitimate due to the error. If the correct interpretation is paid, Freo get the ball on the 50 as a result of the out on the full.

I’ve clearly said the whole game was full of 50/50s. Taberners first & Cripps blatant throw, but it’s really not as glaring as when it comes down to the last 10 seconds is it? Doesn’t take much to realize that.

no one is taking anything away from carlton. Not their fault the umpiring was bad, and it was a beautiful finish from Newnes.

but Carlton fans just siding with the umpiring as if it’s their own players is stupid. They stuffed up. It killed you last week, it saved you this week. Enjoy it.

I haven't heard anyone in the industry mention it. The Freo bench who stood right behind Docherty didn't react at all. If it was such a blatantly illegal move they'd be going nuts. Only Bigfooty posters who don't know the rules well enough arguing it.
Hilarious. The rules specifically say that you have to be in line with the Mark, and if you play on around it and are out of bounds then it is a throw in.
It actually details this exact scenario. 19.3.1 requires the player to go behind the Mark, and 19.3.2 (in place mainly for shots at goal from the boundary line) says that they if they are outside the boundary after being behind the Mark (which he wasnt) and play on outside the boundary not in a direct line, it is a throw in.
Just take your good luck (the deliberate, the play on, the downfield, the position of the free kick, the wrong player taking the free kick, all in the last 20 seconds of play) and run with it.

They haven’t had time to mention it, too busy discussing the 5 other calls in the play that went your way. He heads away from the line of the mark initially along the boundary and does deviate and change direction because the boundary umpire is in his way so he heads inside towards the field of play. Another 50/50 call but you get six in 15 sec (some blatant mistakes) which statistically is a 1.5% chance of happening if everything is a 50% chance.

Not sure why Carlton fans can’t just accept that they were kissed on the dick. Yes it was an amazing kick, but it’s ok get gifted a game, I wish we would get one.

From the herald sun... Pretty clear where the Boundary Ump is indicating where it goes out of bounds., versus where the field umpire sets the mark.
1597727940343.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back