Umpires influencing games: Exhibit 1 Car v Fre

Remove this Banner Ad

The free kick down field was very iffy, I wouldn’t have paid it.

The biggest howler was where the mark was set for it, it was at least 10 probably 15 metres closer to goal than it should have been, the umpire pretty much sets it where the ball landed, it crosses the boundary near the 50m arc.
This exactly

Swings and roundabouts. Freo got two unwarranted goals in front of goals in the first quarter.

So just zip it, enjoy the magnificent Newnes game winner (which will win goal of the year) and bask in the return of Carlton as a legit finals contender.

Finally I have to say the salty bitterness from non Freo neutral supporters (I am inclined to allow the venting from Freo Fans, very unlucky) only makes last night's win, all the more sweeter.

WE ARE CARLTON ! **** The Rest !!
You were gifted two goals when Cripps throws the ball and Casbolt pushed in the back. Two non calls that ended in goals.

1. That is the problem - similar free kicks WERE NOT paid throughout the game. If that was deliberate OOB, the umpires missed 20 others throughout the game. If that was a downfield free, the umpires missed 40 others throughout the game.
2. Learn to English.
I’ve seen plenty of deliberates just like that payed this season and yes I’ve seen plenty not payed but at the end of the day that was deliberate and it should be payed every time wether it’s the start or the end of a game!

The reason 7 aren't paid, is because it was the wrong decision.

It was just an awful decision.

He had already left the ground to attempt a legal smother. Even though he can't alter physics, he attempted to stop his momentum and minimise the inevitable contact as best he could. Wasn't high, wasn't excessive.

It was incidental and unavoidable contact.

Wrong decision.

The umpire was fooled by the theatrics of Docherty, which made him think the contact was excessive. Wrong.

The umpire was unable to weigh up the situation and realise that Brayshaw didn't charge Docherty, and didn't intentionally, recklessly or even carelessly take him out late.

It was all 'in play' and unavoidable in the normal course of play.

Awful umpiring at the time, and even more awful in the cold light of day upon reflection.

Having said that, I'm glad he f’ed it up - cause it made for a classic finish!
Delusional mate. Free kick every day of the week

You were gifted two goals when Cripps throws the ball and Casbolt pushed in the back. Two non calls that ended in goals.
Players throw the Ball 80 times a game. Take that up with the AFL. I saw plenty of Freo throws on the night as well. AFL has elected not to enforce it to keep the game moving.

Players throw the Ball 80 times a game. Take that up with the AFL. I saw plenty of Freo throws on the night as well. AFL has elected not to enforce it to keep the game moving.
There were a lot of obvious frees not paid and some paid that weren’t there for both teams with both sides getting benefit on the scoreboard.

That last free for down the ground was there but should of been taken on the boundary, about 55m out (where the ball had crossed the line) by the closest player (Gibbons)

They royally ****ed it up and affected the ultimate result.

Was it Docherty who played on after the deliberate, by running along outside the field of play? So in doing so, if he is tackled outside the field of play, is it holding the ball or a throw in because it happens outside the field of play?
For me that is reason enough for it to be called back to take his kick over the mark. If you want to play on, you have to do so by running over the mark to re-enter the field of play. Not by running along outside the field of play.

I’ve seen plenty of deliberates just like that payed this season and yes I’ve seen plenty not payed but at the end of the day that was deliberate and it should be payed every time wether it’s the start or the end of a game!
If it was consistently paid, then it wouldn't be a problem.

But it's not. As another poster suggested, it's only paid about 30% of the time.

THAT is the crux of the issue.

Was it Docherty who played on after the deliberate, by running along outside the field of play? So in doing so, if he is tackled outside the field of play, is it holding the ball or a throw in because it happens outside the field of play?
Who the fk knows?

I've seen players penalised for holding the ball when the tackle has continued on the wrong side of the boundary line.

Amateur hour - they just make it up as they go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty dumb by Tabener, didn't "disguise" it at all with a 'fumble'....still that's 50/50
Then he allowed Carlton to play on.
the free kick for the hit after the ball, was definitely there.
Umpires gave Carlton an extra 6-8 meters, ball looked to go out right on the 50m arc. no way he kicks it from where it was supposed to be taken.
Umpires gave the kick to the wrong player.

Fremantle ripped off, and quite bad umpiring.

We are talking far too much about the umpires - which is a symptom of a much larger problem.

Post match discussion after the Eagles v Carlton was centred on the appalling umpiring. Gareth Parker led off his show on 6pr (a current affairs show - not even a sports show) with a spray on how the umpiring is making the game unwatchable. Then we have last night....

In soccer it is said the best ref is the one you don’t remember. This means the obvious infractions are paid and if in doubt - don’t blow the whistle. Let the 50/50 decisions go.

AFL umpires seem to have a fundamental attitudinal problem where they don’t realise they are there merely to facilitate the game - not be an integral part of it.

Carlton were the better team and deserved to win, we would've been lucky to hold on. Sometimes calls go your way sometimes they don't and that's footy, but gee whiz you can spot the blokes on this thread that have never played a game of footy. Contact happens front on like that after you kick when someone tries to smother you all the time. Fair enough if Brayshaw came in from the side and took him out but he was sprinting towards him trying to smother it's impossible for players to pull out of that.

Carlton fans you don't have to defend the decision you are allowed to say we got lucky with that call but we will take it, they won't take the 4 points off of you I promise. Better team after quarter time won.

Also ridiculously good kick from Newnes.

I've got no problem saying that that is the second Freo v Carlton game in a row where, even after watching the replay, I'm thinking 'How did we actually win that game' ???

Funny how Freo supporters complain about that deliberate being paid but don’t mention the smash out of bounds directly from a handball that a freo defender did in 2nd quarter that wasn’t paid and they got away with.

it’s like they complain about one interpretation Of deliberate that went against them but completely neglect another interpretation of deliberate that they benefitted from earlier

For me that is reason enough for it to be called back to take his kick over the mark. If you want to play on, you have to do so by running over the mark to re-enter the field of play. Not by running along outside the field of play.

how many times have you seen players having set shots at goal moving around away from the mark to improve the angle and they get away with it.. yet everyone wants to be a stickler for this incident.

it’s funny how we all scream for umpires to just pay the most blatant of things and let all soft decisiona go, but at the same time everyone wants to analyse a passage of play for whether a play took a couple extra steps over the boundary line or whether the kick was 10m closer than It should have been or which player was 5m closest to the ball.

im not just saying this because my team benefitted from it this time, I would love nothing more than literally only very blatant frees paid and everything else let go so that everyone is in agreement on an interpretation.

If it was consistently paid, then it wouldn't be a problem.

But it's not. As another poster suggested, it's only paid about 30% of the time.

THAT is the crux of the issue.

yes and we were on the bad end of one in the 2nd quarter when the umpire refused to pay a deliberate against a freo defender who smashed the ball out of bounds from a handball.

why mention one at the end of a game That went against freo, but neglect another even more obvious missed on for freo in 2nd quarter?

Pretty dumb by Tabener, didn't "disguise" it at all with a 'fumble'....still that's 50/50
Then he allowed Carlton to play on.
the free kick for the hit after the ball, was definitely there.
Umpires gave Carlton an extra 6-8 meters, ball looked to go out right on the 50m arc. no way he kicks it from where it was supposed to be taken.
Umpires gave the kick to the wrong player.

Fremantle ripped off, and quite bad umpiring.

come on, look at the kick, it cleared the goa line easily by 10m, An extra 8-10m in didstance wouldn’t have made it fall short

Yes, that’s true.

It was countering the argument that Fremantle was gifted two goals which happens in games all the time.

Two goals from free kicks and two goals from non free kicks.

Yes, that’s true.

It was countering the argument that Fremantle was gifted two goals which happens in games all the time.

nooo, there is a difference between a player getting away with a throw which happens literally all game long, and an umpire blowing his whistle to stop the game and give the ball to a forward when the defender has legitimately beaten the forward and won possession.

He was way inside the feild and got shoved after he kicked it.. clear down feild free

Yes, that’s true.

In the voice of vin deisal.. winnings winning... and in our case. A free kick is a free kick. Dubious or not. It is what it is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back