Umpires need to penalize deliberate delay/wasting of game

Remove this Banner Ad

I get where West Coast fans are coming with that. I genuinely dislike that because it wastes so much time to help the player’s team flood their backline. I won’t complain if it becomes a 50 only because I don’t see much difference between that and throwing the ball away from the player with the free kick. Both are wasting time.

Having said that, I’m not going to say that I disliked it yesterday ;)

It was a borderline 50 even without the time wasting. Genuinely absurd to not pay it in the end.

Wouldn't have changed the result in the end but just because West Coast fans are salty and other absurd things happened in the game doesn't make them wrong about this one.

So the game goes for 2 hours but you have an issue with the last 30 seconds??
Boneheaded reply.

Just because someone makes a comment or thread on one moment, you assume that's the only moment they care about?

I didn't see the whole game so I can't comment on the standard of umpiring overall on the night, but watching that as an isolated incident, it just has to be a 50. Then the audacity of the umpire to say that the Eagles player was delaying the game after giving the Melbourne guy a nudge was absolutely and utterly ridiculous.
It shouldn't matter at all if the Eagles got more frees overall on the night, (and trust me I hate the Eagles as much as anyone after that dodgy free to Shuey in extra time in the 2017 EF), if the free is there, and in this case it absolutely was, you have to call it.

The issue is, imagine we created a thread for every time the Eagles got a free ride from the umpires in Perth …. the irony of an Eagles supporter whinging about a decision that cost them … in a game with 28-16 free kicks in favour … well, it’s just amusing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Forget the standing on the mark bulldust... 50 metre if a player doesn't roll off the ball instantly / get up instantly / points to the obvious free kick recipient before he throws it back / throws the ball high in the air... that will speed up the game. And stop it being annoying as hell to watch as well.
It should be an instant 50 if you touch the guy with the ball after a mark or free kick is paid for any reason. Umpires never penalise this so this now adds 1-2 seconds every time a player kicks over the mark.

It should be an instant 50 if you touch the guy with the ball after a mark or free kick is paid for any reason. Umpires never penalise this so this now adds 1-2 seconds every time a player kicks over the mark.
Which means teammates can get 10-15m further back to cover

It was shitty umpiring made a million times worse by the umpires comment.

doesn’t change the game result but decisions in the last few minutes of the game, particularly when a team is vying for a win always get more scrutiny.

if you followed the logic of some posters, things like game changing calls (ala bris vs geelong) are just ‘salt’

s**t umpiring always deserves to be called out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back