Umpires taking responsibility

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd do it in a grand final wouldn't you? Swing the arm hard and take him out. Gee they have a lot of knee droppers. Brave, more like idiotic. Knee droppers aught to be free game, if a player goes to their knees when they get tackled then they aught to be free game. Some umps aren't paying players who drop at the knees frees but some still are, need to get this right.
And yeah... if I was playing, and I was in a grand final against a Duckwood, I would rip his head off if he ducked his knees

The umps havent seemed to take a liking to him thats for true. The 50 metre penalty earlier this year for him being over the mark... sigh. I hate when people bitch and say the umpires robbed their side of victory, but we've had some ******* ordinary officiating this year.

I wish I could be bothered finding the debate I had with another poster about that one in the other thread. Tonight, when a Carlton player took a mark at about the 50, the ump was yelling "back a metre .... back a metre ..." at least 3 times, did the cats player move? Nope. Then the Carlton player kicked the ball while the ump was still yelling back a metre ... did he pay a 50 against the cats player? Nope.

Menzel didn't even get the "back a metre" call before the 50 was paid.

The ******* inconsistency in umpiring is bad enough, but when it ALWAYS seems to go against us, it's beyond the pale.

Absolute rubbish umpiring tonight which we seemed to be on the receiving end of some pretty poor decisions.

Hawkins play on call was there, the guy took 5 minutes to bloody go back and have his shot. In the end I don't believe it hindered his shot on goal, the fact that he kicked the turf was what made that ball go only 25 meters.

Selwood, Bartel, Kelly and Johnson all dropping their knees in the contest of ducking their heads and rolling into the players tackle and drawing a free kick. When will the umpires wake up to this sh1t? It clearly has become a "tactic" of these players and until the umpires just stop paying them the free kick it will continue.

Seems that if you have been in the game for 10+ years you just given leniency. Enright was spun in the tackle 360, dropped the ball. Play on, ball goes the other way and goal! What the fu** happened to the dropping the ball, or incorrect disposal of the ball rule? does it even exist anymore?

Menzel gets his head ripped off in the dying seconds, seconds later a runner impedes our player. Free kick every day of the week, except Friday night :confused:

Jarrad Waites best attack in the 3rd quarter I think, where he tackled a player only to be called in the back. WTF?! Think the same thing happened to Levi just outside 50.

Don't often blame the umpires for a loss, but this ones on those pr!cks, we deserved to win this game and we're robbed by poor umpiring.

I really hope you are having a laugh here. Hawkins was a dead eye basically all night and his shot didn't even make the distance. He was clearly off put.

If our forwards were allowed 45 seconds every time we took a mark forward of the centre half forward line we may be more accurate as well.

Hawkins is a repeat offender. Takes longer than Matthew Lloyd. Should be called play on every time.

Next time you watch a Geelong game I'd like you to time him from the moment he takes the mark to the time he takes his kick.

Before I go on any further in this thread I'm going to say this...

The players are so far ahead of the game it isn't funny. The umpires are so far behind the eight ball it's even less funny. The AFL is the most professional sporting code that we have to offer. Until the AFL begins paying these umpires to be full time professional umpires we're going to have games determined by lousy umpiring that looks blatant at times (maybe it is). We made plenty of errors, as I've said in another thread, but you see games every week where the outcome is determined in significant part by amateur umpiring mistakes.

Pay them and train them as full time professionals before it destroys the league - it's already starting to. It's beyond ludicrous that they're not.

Last edited:
The standard of umpiring is my main turn-off for AFL these days..sometimes I leave matches even if we're doing ok.
When my dad played there was one umpire..and the beauty of that was the decisions were largely consistent.
You don't even mind consistently bad decisions because you can play to it
2 umpires in my day ..it could be challenging
The advent of 3 umpires has just made the whole thing a dog's breakfast
Some might argue expansion has lowered the bar for getting a game of AFL footy
Having 3 field umpires has definitely done that to the standard of officiating.
Burns my guts to see the crap that was dished up last night....and your team has had a couple of weeks of it.

I wish I could be bothered finding the debate I had with another poster about that one in the other thread. Tonight, when a Carlton player took a mark at about the 50, the ump was yelling "back a metre .... back a metre ..." at least 3 times, did the cats player move? Nope. Then the Carlton player kicked the ball while the ump was still yelling back a metre ... did he pay a 50 against the cats player? Nope.

Menzel didn't even get the "back a metre" call before the 50 was paid.

The ******* inconsistency in umpiring is bad enough, but when it ALWAYS seems to go against us, it's beyond the pale.
Why do you think that might be?

A simple 5% better conversion rate on 3 Metre hand passes and 20 Metre kicks during the match and we are laughing about how the umps tried to do us in but failed.

Yes the umps were bad but our inability to execute even the most basic disposals is killing us week in and week out. The worst part is that it isn't even Robbo now.

Hi Guys,
I'm still exteremly pi..ed off. Luckily I threw the remote on the ground & not at the TV.
Corey Enright - runs 5 metres so had prior, caught in a waisthigh tackle, spun around 360, flings his boot at the ball & misses (Holding the Ball the Last 100 years)
James Kelly - runs 10 metres, caught in a waist high tackle, again spun the full 360, drops the ball, neither a kick of handball, (Holding the ball for the last 100 years) but the tacklers momentum takes him partially over Kelly's back so they pay "In the Back".
Levi Casboult - big bloke, 6 foot 4, runs 5 metres. bends down, picks up & the ball & before he's even had a chance to lift his head is tackled "front on"so had no prior opportunity & because he was still bent over in the action of picking up the ball he buckles under the weight of the tackler & falls to the ground with the TV camera clearly showing an arm around his neck (Either a Ball Up or "Around the NecK" for the last 100 Years), but Geelong get the free kick.
Jarrod Waite - clearly, clearly toe pokes the ball over the line & the goal umpire chooses to call a point despite newly introduced goal technology that would have clarified his decision.
That Centre Bounce in the 2nd quarter was an abolute joke, the ball landed a good ten metres away from where the little guy bounced it, I would've thought it was obviously to be brought back & thrown up.
We even saw the farce of the Geelong runner standing in front & effectively blocking Mitch Robinson at the last ball-up of the game.
Have been watching footy for 50 years now, I love the game, but nobody one can convince me otherwise, that irrespective of which club is playing, be it Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney or whoever, the better sides don't get the rub of the green.
They're given more time to dispose of the ball, draw free kicks for incidental contact more often than not. During the call I heard Denis Cometti say he believed the players are expecting a certain outcome (Geelong to win) & I reckon that also applies to the umpires.
As Malthouse said in his press conference the umpires clearly umpire differently when the game is in the balance. This also applies to when it looks like the underdog causing an upset.
Am not a Happy Camper.

Last edited:
Took me til now to figure what you were talking about :oops:

I'd been meaning to change my name for a while now :oops:

Ha, you must have been sitting there wondering why I was having a go at you and contemplating having a go back.

Yep. The fact I didn't respond sooner meant I was confused and couldn't think of anything to say.

I like to keep it subtle ... sometimes too subtle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The call to play on on Hawkins was because he was taking to long to kick the ball...
I'm 100% sure someone was told to play on last week in a game for exactly the same thing (taking too long). I can't remember which game it was as I watched a few, but I have a funny feeling it was one of our players in the Brisbane game. So this isn't the first time it's happened all year like the commentators said, it actually happened last week. Probably was the same umpire.

I'm 100% sure someone was told to play on last week in a game for exactly the same thing (taking too long). I can't remember which game it was as I watched a few, but I have a funny feeling it was one of our players in the Brisbane game. So this isn't the first time it's happened all year like the commentators said, it actually happened last week. Probably was the same umpire.

But its the first time it's happened to someone important :rolleyes:

Love SandyToes theory about the number of umpires affecting consistancy of decisions. My pet hate is the tackler not getting rewarded....incorrect disposal...."play on". It seems you only get done for holding the ball if there are three guys on top of you and it's impossible to move.

If I ****** up at work as much as these umpires do, I would be out of a job pretty quickly.

That's true. Your employer would just replace you with someone else willing to do what should be a full time position part time.

For mine, its not the in play decisions that go both ways....the players know the traditional rules, but they also know where the umpiring is going, and know what usually is and isn't paid. Whilst we as fans don't like it....it's fair when its consistent and i'm ok with that.

The BIGGEST issues from last nights game both relate to recent rule changes:
1) The centre bounce - a clear rule is that the centre bounce must remain within the second centre circle or it is recalled. Our mids stopped when that terrible bounce went outside - and whilst I know we are supposed to play the whistle, tackling a player and going in hard when the play is about to be recalled would often result in a free kick against - F***ed both ways (this decision along with the subsequent advantage call - also a joke - cost us the game.....Josh Walker even stopped and went to kick the ball back to Hawkins....everyone had stopped - pathetic). The grumpy old Geelong supporter next to me leant over to me and said "Thats simply not fair, absolute bullshit....and i'm a Geelong supporter".

2) Score reviews - the AFL website was boasting about brand new goal line cameras being installed for this round....THE ONE CHANCE THEY HAD TO USE IT.....donuts. Now from the angles i've seen, it wasn't clearly a goal....if only we had a camera on the goal line to check it OH WAIT.

If the AFL wants to bring in new rules to our game, then they need to apply these fairly.

where to start??? we are more than capable of losing games on our own account, not sure why umps have to make that a full blown conclusion on a weekly basis.

i thought maybe it was just malthouse on the take from the likes of Eddie but now im assuming the umps are on the take as well. They are fuking *ed!

first time for the year. In fact have never seen it occur before. Most players kick it before the 30 seconds run out.
However that said, the call of play on did not make hawkins hurry his shot so no that does not equal the centre bounce clanger.
I didn't see the game last night, but watched the replay this morning. My first impression was it did rush his shot. Watched it again and still feel the same.

The play on to Hawkins was a wrong call for them.

We had:

- Center bounce non call back
- Play on to Josh Walker in square
- Menzel decapitation
- Nigel Lappin coming in contact with Robinson
- Waite perfect tackle judged as in the back
- Countless throws out of congestion not called
- Countless illegal disposals not called
- Countless holding the ball not called
- Waite kick in the square not reviewed by new technology.

I wont blame the umpiring for us losing last night as I wont let some of our players off that easy but found it interesting that Chris Scott has just said on triple M radio that they were somewhat fortunate to get the result.

Why do you think that might be?

And just like clockwork ... in rides the apologist to defend the umpires.

I tell you what Thy, nominate the incidents from last night's game that unfairly went the way of the Blues, and if you can come close to those that unfairly advantaged the Cats, I'll engage you on this topic.

Pithy one liners and apologising for umpiring for sake of ******* nobility just ain't gonna cut it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back