Roast Umpires thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm struggling to watch the game with what I call non footy playing events controlling the game. I understand the point of the protected zone, but over half of the 50's result from having no consequence. By that I mean yes they are in the protected zone but the player isn't having any impact at all. Leave calling until there is an impact of some kind. If the player with ball chooses to run towards the potential offender and the potential offender becomes involved pay the 50m then. These are not game play events and don't need to made that way.

I Like the 6 / 6 / 6, but stop the warning, give the boundary umpires the power to call it if the other two field umpires can't count it. Stop the ******** around it - is there is more cut and dried rule?
There is a simple solution to the protected zone rule, a bit like passive off side in soccer.
As long as the player doesn’t interfere with the player with the ball, even when the play on there should be no free kick.
The moment they approach the player to put any pressure on pay the free.

I’m sure it could still be stuffed up by the muppets, but there would be a hell of a lot less frees paid.

barely noticed em against footscray

the way it should be every week
Go back and watch the 30 seconds leading up to Houli getting the free for high which was soft it’s self. Free kicks both ways missed and they didn’t pay holding the ball when dropped in a tackle (except against Martin) all night.

There is a simple solution to the protected zone rule, a bit like passive off side in soccer.
As long as the player doesn’t interfere with the player with the ball, even when the play on there should be no free kick.
The moment they approach the player to put any pressure on pay the free.

I’m sure it could still be stuffed up by the muppets, but there would be a hell of a lot less frees paid.

Yep, that's what I am saying. 9 out of 10 of the calls don't warrant a free kick, as they had nil impact or change to the game in any way.

So instead what does the AFL do, we let the umpire change the course of the game by insisting they call a free kick against anyone in the so called protected zone. Madness, although they seem to be applying a small amount of commonsense now. So why not give the umpires a big injection of commonsense every week?!

Last edited:
Go back and watch the 30 seconds leading up to Houli getting the free for high which was soft it’s self. Free kicks both ways missed and they didn’t pay holding the ball when dropped in a tackle (except against Martin) all night.
compared to what we received last time we played the doogs at shitihad it was a flawless display !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"It didn't interfere with the play so it's not a free kick."

Oh man, I would have a field day with that line if I played AFL... *starts digging a big hole in the forward pocket*.

* off AFL, leave Eleni alone...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/glouftsis-the-latest-umpire-to-be-dropped-20190515-p51nr8.html

Eleni Glouftsis has become the latest field umpire to be dropped by the AFL in the wake of poor performances.
The Age understands Glouftsis will umpire in the VFL this week, following a string of poor decisions, including two crucial errors in the St Kilda versus West Coast clash last Saturday night, which resulted in two goals to the Eagles.

Eleni Glouftsis.Credit:AAP
Head of umpiring Grant Williams and head coach Hayden Kennedy have addressed the issue with Glouftsis and are understood to have been supportive and educational in their approach.
With very few injuries to speak of and a squad of 34 to pick from every week, Glouftsis isn’t the only umpire to be demoted this season.

David Harris, who had umpired 116 games up until the start of this season, and Andrew Mitchell (112 matches) are two other officiators who have been noticeably dropped this season after a string of poor performances.
Gloutftsis went into this season with just 16 games under her belt.
As the game’s most criticised faction, umpires have been under increased scrutiny this season.
They were booed off the ground after a contentious last quarter between Collingwood and Essendon, with senior umpires feeling they were let down by the AFL because of the league's refusal to speak up in support of the game's adjudicators.
Gloutftsis was not one of the umpires at the MCG on Anzac Day.

AFL umpires have also been at the centre of the Dane Rampe debate, with umpires choosing not to pay a free kick against the Sydney co-captain for climbing the post in the dying stages of last Friday's win over Essendon.
League boss Gillon McLachlan later defended the umpires and said they officiated with common sense.
Rampe was also fined $10,000($5000 of which was suspended) for saying to an umpire that they sounded “like a little girl” during the second quarter against the Bombers.
However, the rift between senior umpires and the AFL football department continues to grow, with some of the most senior umpires in the game believing they don’t receive enough public support from inside league headquarters.
Despite McLachlan’s defence of them on the weekend, league football boss Steve Hocking has remained silent on the issue.

Starting to think the Offal pressured the Bumbers into getting Worstfold as coach after the Drug Scandal...
Worstfold the only one to question the Offals rampe/goalpost debacle...prolly has the dirt on them so not scared to have a say!

Just my two cents....

2018 was a horrid year for us. Every time there was a whistle it was guaranteed a free kick against us. We finished on 77.53% in frees for vs against. That was 11% lower than the next worst team and the lowest recorded of any team since Essendon in 2003.

A plus or minus 10% would indicate a reasonable level of fairness whilst still compensating for examples of aggressive pressure vs anomalies like talented ruckman forcing oppositions rucks to grapple more or at the other end of the spectrum, weaker younger players getting soft-but-there free kicks etc. But a difference greater than 20% suggests a bit more than poor discipline or just bad luck: that's an agenda i.e players known for diving, negating players such as taggers or undersized rucks/KPP looking to breakeven, players that notoriously duck/dive/complain or even just a style of play that invites all the above etc. Its something umpires look at and is often a flavour of the week type thing. So whilst the same incident might occur in any other play by other players in different games, the umpires are particularly focused and aware of certain players in certain teams i.e the classic forward always getting a free vs the defender type scenario. There is a bias, it does exist and it is inherently 'unfair' when compared to similar incidents. But what is more frustrating, and undocumented, is the free kicks that are there that don't get paid and this is the year of the unregistered free. Watch Essendon vs Collingwood or Carlton vs Collingwood for a perfect example of momentum killers that cost games. As the competition becomes more even, its these non-calls that are becoming more prevalent as reasons for wins and losses.

Its too early to take an objective look at this years data but for those interested, Collingwood seem to be getting the better end of the whistle this year again with the most frees for a second year in a row with a F/A ratio of 127.6% slightly up from last years'. Dogs are on 135% but this won't last (although historically they do receive more frees). North Melbourne has had more than 110% seven times in the last 10 years, but they're irrelevant so it doesn't impact anyone. Interestingly, #FreeKickHawthorn is a bit of a myth. They've hovered around 100% for the last 10 years and not once been above 105% in that time.

Its also worth noting the frustration of Carlton this year. They've been competitive and have had so many almost games as backed up by having a better percentage than the 4 teams above them yet only registering one win. To add salt to these 'almost wins' is their F/A ratio, a measly 78.4%. They're getting screwed over just like we did last year.

So what does all this mean in the end? Absolutely nothing. You could argue it matters with last year's Grand Final being played between #1 and #2 in the F/A % (excluding lolN0rf). But we won a premiership in 2017 with the lowest F/A ratio, Dogs won with the highest in 2016 and Hawthorn won with the average in 2013/14/15. Simply put, the best team on the day wins. I hate this year's umpiring but its always been bad, we just need to accept that this is a difficult game to adjudicate. Sure it hurts when that 'bias' comes into play and we get the bad rub of the green but as is so often repeated by players and coaches, its the decision making of the players leading into that play that resulted in that decision and had a player ran harder for the ball, or kept their feet or kicked it more accurately, then that whistle or that unregistered free would never be an issue in the first place. Don't let it get in the way of what is the best game in the world. Scream. Cry. Laugh. Move on.

Last edited:
Just my two cents....

2018 was a horrid year for us. Every time there was a whistle it was guaranteed a free kick against us. We finished on 77.53% in frees for vs against. That was 11% lower than the next worst team and the lowest recorded of any team since Essendon in 2003.

A plus or minus 10% would indicate a reasonable level of fairness whilst still compensating for examples of aggressive pressure vs anomalies like talented ruckman forcing oppositions rucks to grapple more or at the other end of the spectrum, weaker younger players getting soft-but-there free kicks etc. But a difference greater than 20% suggests a bit more than poor discipline or just bad luck: that's an agenda i.e players known for diving, negating players such as taggers or undersized rucks/KPP looking to breakeven, players that notoriously duck/dive/complain or even just a style of play that invites all the above etc. Its something umpires look at and is often a flavour of the week type thing. So whilst the same incident might occur in any other play by other players in different games, the umpires are particularly focused and aware of certain players in certain teams i.e the classic forward always getting a free vs the defender type scenario. There is a bias, it does exist and it is inherently 'unfair' when compared to similar incidents. But what is more frustrating, and undocumented, is the free kicks that are there that don't get paid and this is the year of the unregistered free. Watch Essendon vs Collingwood or Carlton vs Collingwood for a perfect example of momentum killers that cost games. As the competition becomes more even, its these non-calls that are becoming more prevalent as reasons for wins and losses.

Its too early to take an objective look at this years data but for those interested, Collingwood seem to be getting the better end of the whistle this year again with the most frees for a second year in a row with a F/A ratio of 127.6% slightly up from last years'. Dogs are on 135% but this won't last (although historically they do receive more frees). North Melbourne has had more than 110% seven times in the last 10 years, but they're irrelevant so it doesn't impact anyone. Interestingly, #FreeKickHawthorn is a bit of a myth. They've hovered around 100% for the last 10 years and not once been above 105% in that time.

Its also worth noting the frustration of Carlton this year. They've been competitive and have had so many almost games as backed up by having a better percentage than the 4 teams above them yet only registering one win. To add salt to these 'almost wins' is their F/A ratio, a measly 78.4%. They're getting screwed over just like we did last year.

So what does all this mean in the end? Absolutely nothing. You could argue it matters with last year's Grand Final being played between #1 and #2 in the F/A % (excluding lolN0rf). But we won a premiership in 2017 with the lowest F/A ratio, Dogs won with the highest in 2016 and Hawthorn won with the average in 2013/14/15. Simply put, the best team on the day wins. I hate this year's umpiring but its always been bad, we just need to accept that this is a difficult game to adjudicate. Sure it hurts when that 'bias' comes into play and we get the bad rub of the green but as is so often repeated by players and coaches, its the decision making of the players leading into that play that resulted in that decision and had a player ran harder for the ball, or kept their feet or kicked it more accurately, then that whistle or that unregistered free would never be an issue in the first place. Don't let it get in the way of what is the best game in the world. Scream. Cry. Laugh. Move on.
I remember vaguely in Dimma's 2nd 3rd 4th seasons a poster on here, think it was Deliberate, talking about perceptions of certain Teams by the Public...the media...footy scribes...that certain sides were sheet and other sides were brilliant! Heck i even did it with Fitzroy, Footscray!
All the talk was about Richmond being crap...we had sheet winning results and were compared to Fitzroy in it's heyday of sheetiness...
The perception (whether conscious or not) was that we were sheet...the printed media loved it!
And whether that perception/bias, conscious or not in the heat of play, tended to influence the maggotts in awarding free kicks...
Our oppo especially the Geelol's/Others seemed to me would get the rub of the green with dodgey plays...good premiership sides/players don't give away free kicks...while we were pinged for the same play cos we were a sheet side!
Ok we were sheet, i can accept that...i could accept we had to get better with play cos good play wins and good sides play to win!
It would take time to change the general perception/bias or so i thought!
But by golly gee feck we were good enough to win the 2017 GF and still we got reamed...yes reamed! in the free kicks by the maggotts! Last!
We were so good we had a reverse bias manufactured against us that year! Then 2018 again...
I reckon our current crop of injuries can be attributed to the fact our players had to play harder in more matches, now more teams against this bias just to break even..
We have been effectively hobbled with this free kick against us bias...and i point the finger at the Offal...
Keep the oppo fans happy in the hunt with an even ladder in terms of results, the weaker teams/fans still a hope for the Finals...
And the Offal are riding our coattails of popularity in manufacturing this scenario for oppo teams/fans and TV rights...it generates revenue at our expen$e!
The best game in the world is being perverted...just look at that nonsense on steroids with Rampe climbing a goalpost...sound of crickets from maggotts!
15.9 FREE KICKS – SHAKING GOAL POST OR BEHIND POST 15.9.1 Awarding Free Kick Unless Law 15.9.3 applies, a Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player or Official who intentionally shakes a goal or behind post (either before or after a Player has disposed of the football)
Move on after this crap and the free kick bias?!?! No way...

I remember vaguely in Dimma's 2nd 3rd 4th seasons a poster on here, think it was Deliberate, talking about perceptions of certain Teams by the Public...the media...footy scribes...that certain sides were sheet and other sides were brilliant! Heck i even did it with Fitzroy, Footscray!
All the talk was about Richmond being crap...we had sheet winning results and were compared to Fitzroy in it's heyday of sheetiness...
The perception (whether conscious or not) was that we were sheet...the printed media loved it!
And whether that perception/bias, conscious or not in the heat of play, tended to influence the maggotts in awarding free kicks...
Our oppo especially the Geelol's/Others seemed to me would get the rub of the green with dodgey plays...good premiership sides/players don't give away free kicks...while we were pinged for the same play cos we were a sheet side!
Ok we were sheet, i can accept that...i could accept we had to get better with play cos good play wins and good sides play to win!
It would take time to change the general perception/bias or so i thought!
But by golly gee feck we were good enough to win the 2017 GF and still we got reamed...yes reamed! in the free kicks by the maggotts! Last!
We were so good we had a reverse bias manufactured against us that year! Then 2018 again...
I reckon our current crop of injuries can be attributed to the fact our players had to play harder in more matches, now more teams against this bias just to break even..
We have been effectively hobbled with this free kick against us bias...and i point the finger at the Offal...
Keep the oppo fans happy in the hunt with an even ladder in terms of results, the weaker teams/fans still a hope for the Finals...
And the Offal are riding our coattails of popularity in manufacturing this scenario for oppo teams/fans and TV rights...it generates revenue at our expen$e!
The best game in the world is being perverted...just look at that nonsense on steroids with Rampe climbing a goalpost...sound of crickets from maggotts!
15.9 FREE KICKS – SHAKING GOAL POST OR BEHIND POST 15.9.1 Awarding Free Kick Unless Law 15.9.3 applies, a Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player or Official who intentionally shakes a goal or behind post (either before or after a Player has disposed of the football)
Move on after this crap and the free kick bias?!?! No way...

There is no bias

There is no bias
Bottom of the free kick count in 2017 when Richmond won the GF...
Bottom of the free kick count in 2018 when we made the PF...
This year's tally will prolly confirm the same thing...

Rumour is they've been told to not pay climbing post frees in future this year as it'll draw attention to the essendong shitney result being wrong 😂😂😂😂😂 classic AFL solution

Rumour is they've been told to not pay climbing post frees in future this year as it'll draw attention to the essendong shitney result being wrong 😂😂😂😂😂 classic AFL solution

If true the afl has told the umps to disregard a rule...that’s in the rule book.

Gil GTFO and never touch this game again

Bottom of the free kick count in 2017 when Richmond won the GF...
Bottom of the free kick count in 2018 when we made the PF...
This year's tally will prolly confirm the same thing...

It's bad enough that we have to deal with opposition teams targeting us every week, because we're the biggest club in the land and every team circles their match against us when the fixture comes out, as they want to take our scalp more than any other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back