Discussion Umpire's Uniforms

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
When I was reading another thread on this board I started to think about the umpires uniforms'. I decided to put my ideas done and start a Discussion thread on Umpire's Uniforms to see what peoples thoughts are on them.

16afyzH.jpg

My idea is to continue to use to lime green shirts that are currently being used, but add a few differences so it is easy to tell the difference between the field, boundary and goal umpires and allow for the identification of boundary and goal umpires.

The change to the field umpires uniforms is putting their number in a grey box and making the numbers white. Field umpires would be labelled with field under their number.

The boundary umpires uniforms will differ from the field umpires by changing their grey necks, arm bands, under arms and shorts to be dark green. Their numbers would be in a white box with green numbers. Boundary umpires would be labelled with boundary under their number.

The goal umpires shirts will differ from the field umpires by changing their grey necks, arm bands and under arms to be black. Their numbers would be in a black box with white numbers. Goal umpires would be labelled with goal under their number. They will wear black pants as they do now. Also we will see the return of the old goal umpires hats.

When I was reading another thread on this board I started to think about the umpires uniforms'. I decided to put my ideas done and start a Discussion thread on Umpire's Uniforms to see what peoples thoughts are on them.

16afyzH.jpg

My idea is to continue to use to lime green shirts that are currently being used, but add a few differences so it is easy to tell the difference between the field, boundary and goal umpires and allow for the identification of boundary and goal umpires.

The change to the field umpires uniforms is putting their number in a grey box and making the numbers white. Field umpires would be labelled with field under their number.

The boundary umpires uniforms will differ from the field umpires by changing their grey necks, arm bands, under arms and shorts to be dark green. Their numbers would be in a white box with green numbers. Boundary umpires would be labelled with boundary under their number.

The goal umpires shirts will differ from the field umpires by changing their grey necks, arm bands and under arms to be black. Their numbers would be in a black box with white numbers. Goal umpires would be labelled with goal under their number. They will wear black pants as they do now. Also we will see the return of the old goal umpires hats.
Goal umpires should be required to wear a white polo and the hat as you mentioned, as well as grow a thick 'stache. Whenever I think football goal umpire that's what I concoct up in my mind.

Umpires kits shouldn't have changed from 2002. They had them absolutely nailed before the move to coloured uniforms.

It's easy enough to recognize the three different umpires as it is, the goal umpires wear pants, have flags and get excited when the ball gets to the top of the 50, the boundary umpires are the ones who are never in the correct position and always guess, the field umpires are the ones who strut and bobble head around and make as much noise as the PA system at the ground.

Clearly there is only one uniform change that needs to be made and that's to the field umpires uniforms. It needs to include a muzzle

Goal umpires should be required to wear a white polo and the hat as you mentioned, as well as grow a thick 'stache. Whenever I think football goal umpire that's what I concoct up in my mind.

Umpires kits shouldn't have changed from 2002. They had them absolutely nailed before the move to coloured uniforms.
You can't have white umpires uniforms when half the games involves teams in white jumpers

Last edited:
You can't have white umpires uniforms when half the games involves teams in white jumpers
It's easy enough to recognize the three different umpires as it is, the goal umpires wear pants, have flags and get excited when the ball gets to the top of the 50, the boundary umpires are the ones who are never in the correct position and always guess, the field umpires are the ones who strut and bobble head around and make as much noise as the PA system at the ground.
Clearly there is only one uniform change that needs to be made and that's to the field umpires uniforms. It needs to include a muzzle

For nearly 100 years football dealt with four teams that wore white jumpers and white shorts which was similar to the white shirts and shorts of the umpires, they being Collingwood, Geelong, North Melbourne and South Melbourne. Now that officials and supporters of football have wanted a greater visual difference between the two teams playing and the umpires umpiring. So the introduction of the green shirts for umpires has occured. Numbers on the field umpires also came about because of the supporters need to know who was umpiring.

16afyzH.jpg

My uniforms have introduced a different secondary colour for boundary and goal umpires. With the introduction of television goal line review there is a need to know who can call for the review, ad which umpire decision is being reviewed. Also each umpire will be individually be numbered so supporters and officials will know who is doing what. The colour change of the secondary colour of the goal umpires shirts to black is to make them look better with their black pants. The umpires hats would be reintroduced to bring back that tradition in football.

Not even the goal umpires? They're not exactly moving across the ground.

Coloured works for the umpires on the ground. But I can't see the issue with having the guys behind the goals in white. Not unless you're regularly gonna have a swathe of players within the goal square taking hangers or something.

Not even the goal umpires? They're not exactly moving across the ground.

Coloured works for the umpires on the ground. But I can't see the issue with having the guys behind the goals in white. Not unless you're regularly gonna have a swathe of players within the goal square taking hangers or something.
You probably could, but is it really a professional look to have umps in completely separate colours?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You probably could, but is it really a professional look to have umps in completely separate colours?
I see it like ranked officials. You'd clearly know "oh that guys a field umpire, and that guys a goal umpire.

Although I doubt you'd get the goal cam to sit on the old brimmed hat.

For nearly 100 years football dealt with four teams that wore white jumpers and white shorts which was similar to the white shirts and shorts of the umpires, they being Collingwood, Geelong, North Melbourne and South Melbourne. Now that officials and supporters of football have wanted a greater visual difference between the two teams playing and the umpires umpiring. So the introduction of the green shirts for umpires has occured. Numbers on the field umpires also came about because of the supporters need to know who was umpiring.

16afyzH.jpg

My uniforms have introduced a different secondary colour for boundary and goal umpires. With the introduction of television goal line review there is a need to know who can call for the review, ad which umpire decision is being reviewed. Also each umpire will be individually be numbered so supporters and officials will know who is doing what. The colour change of the secondary colour of the goal umpires shirts to black is to make them look better with their black pants. The umpires hats would be reintroduced to bring back that tradition in football.
Who can call for a goal review? The guy in the pants and a hat. He's the one deciding on the score, he's the one who wants help from the cameras. Which decision is being reviewed? The goal umpire's decision. I don't think we need un-uniform uniforms just for that.

I explained to my totally non-football partner the umpires like this:
The ones running around in the field, calling things out and looking like they're in charge, are field umpires. Sometimes have numbers, depending on the league.
The ones running around the boundary, just quietly watching until the balls go out, are boundary umpires.
The ones standing around in the goals doing not much, wearing pants and hats, are goal umpires.

If they all start wearing totally different kits, how professional does that look? It doesn't serve any necessary purpose. We don't see Hawthorn run out in gold jumpers with brown shorts for forwards, white for backs, and gold for the mids...

Who can call for a goal review? The guy in the pants and a hat. He's the one deciding on the score, he's the one who wants help from the cameras. Which decision is being reviewed? The goal umpire's decision. I don't think we need un-uniform uniforms just for that.

I explained to my totally non-football partner the umpires like this:
The ones running around in the field, calling things out and looking like they're in charge, are field umpires. Sometimes have numbers, depending on the league.
The ones running around the boundary, just quietly watching until the balls go out, are boundary umpires.
The ones standing around in the goals doing not much, wearing pants and hats, are goal umpires.

If they all start wearing totally different kits, how professional does that look? It doesn't serve any necessary purpose. We don't see Hawthorn run out in gold jumpers with brown shorts for forwards, white for backs, and gold for the mids...

Hawthorn is a team, and any member of that team could play in any position on the field. The boundary umpire isn't going to bound the ball in the centre, that is the job of the field umpire. Different umpires have specific jobs.

With the goal umpiring review, they are asked for by the field umpire, not the goal umpire. Even though it is their decision being reviewed, the goal umpire doesn't ask for the review, the field umpire asks for it. The review will automatically review the vision when a goal is kicked.

Labelling the goal and boundary umpires allows them to be known. As the AFL has highlighted the use of female goal and boundary umpires would it be good to know the goal umpire No.8 and No.15 are females. What if your son was to debut as a boundary umpire, it would be good to tell people to watch out for boundary umpire No.33.

So he may be the reason behind Calder Cannons wearing burnt orange. I was at the AFL when Calder came in and I think I can remember Kevin Mitchell.

One thing that the umpire's uniforms have to be is able to hold what an umpire needs on the field, like pen and paper and his whistle. They do need to be comfortable but they should be made to fit the purpose they are designed for.

So he may be the reason behind Calder Cannons wearing burnt orange. I was at the AFL when Calder came in and I think I can remember Kevin Mitchell.

One thing that the umpire's uniforms have to be is able to hold what an umpire needs on the field, like pen and paper and his whistle. They do need to be comfortable but they should be made to fit the purpose they are designed for.

Think for a goal umpire. You can't exactly fit a scorecard in the new uniform without folding it in half (which ruins it when it rains!)

If you want difference use the caps like the NFL maybe? Different colours for different roles, or what about different socks?

Hawthorn is a team, and any member of that team could play in any position on the field. The boundary umpire isn't going to bound the ball in the centre, that is the job of the field umpire. Different umpires have specific jobs.

With the goal umpiring review, they are asked for by the field umpire, not the goal umpire. Even though it is their decision being reviewed, the goal umpire doesn't ask for the review, the field umpire asks for it. The review will automatically review the vision when a goal is kicked.

Labelling the goal and boundary umpires allows them to be known. As the AFL has highlighted the use of female goal and boundary umpires would it be good to know the goal umpire No.8 and No.15 are females. What if your son was to debut as a boundary umpire, it would be good to tell people to watch out for boundary umpire No.33.
Umpires are a team with specific roles too.
With the umpiring review, the procedure is that the goal umpire tells the field umpire, who has control of the game and the comm-link to the stands, that he believes the score is this, please check. It's the goal umpire's job to judge the score, when they can't they get the field umpire to ask for assistance.

Here is the official process of the AFL's Score Review System
R6pVUPg.jpg

As we can see the process is started by the field umpire when an inconclusive decision is reached on whether a goal has been scored or not. All communication is directed though the field umpire.

Here is the official process of the AFL's Score Review System
R6pVUPg.jpg

As we can see the process is started by the field umpire when an inconclusive decision is reached on whether a goal has been scored or not. All communication is directed though the field umpire.
The part of the process that the AFL didn't put on there is the bit where the goal umpire tries to make a decision and has an element of doubt and therefore runs out to the field umpire and says "I believe it was a goal/behind but I want to check if the ball was touched/hit the post/crossed the line".

If the goal umpire doesn't do that generally there's no review unless the field umpire thinks it was touched off the boot or saw the ball nick the padding from his position or similar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back