TheCuzEffect

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man United - Minnesota Timberwolves
At this moment in time i am devestated.... the umpiring in this game was horrid espically towards Richmond in the dying seconds.. Classic example was when Jackson Got shirt fronted (Obvious head high contact) And the Scum Mclaren called it play on...

So from the Bottom of my aching heart thanks Umpires.. Thank you very much.

Hahaha, Richmond were only in the match because that cheat McClaren made it so. I've never seen so many laughable holding the ball, pushes in the back etc. (admittedly a few dodgy ones went our way too).

Daniel Jackson came back on the field and headbutted Brown, no free kick... Brown won the ball fair and square, build a bridge and get over it.

I've never seen so many laughable holding the ball, pushes in the back etc. (admittedly a few dodgy ones went our way too).

Daniel Jackson came back on the field and headbutted Brown, no free kick... Brown won the ball fair and square, build a bridge and get over it.

Agree. Poor standard of football and umpiring on display today.

Agree. Poor standard of football and umpiring on display today.

Ron you are being far too kind my old mate...

Scott McLaren must be sacked. He nearly ruined a fantastic 2008 Grand Final, and has displayed a similarly poor attitude most weeks since.

I have lost count of the games he has directed influenced the result of now, and actually expect it from him each week. I personally believe he is a cheat, but most people tell me it is just incompetence. Either way he has to go.

Ron you are being far too kind my old mate...

Scott McLaren must be sacked. He nearly ruined a fantastic 2008 Grand Final, and has displayed a similarly poor attitude most weeks since.

I have lost count of the games he has directed influenced the result of now, and actually expect it from him each week. I personally believe he is a cheat, but most people tell me it is just incompetence. Either way he has to go.

Met up with a Hawk mate at half time, he was frothing at the mouth over McLaren. Jesus, that free to Riewoldt...wish they'd had a camera on Kennett.

Met up with a Hawk mate at half time, he was frothing at the mouth over McLaren. Jesus, that free to Riewoldt...wish they'd had a camera on Kennett.

I've tried keeping a certain spreadsheet up to date with respect to McLaren and McBurney for the past couple of years. Not once has McLaren or McBurney paid more frees to Hawthorn than the opposition since I started doing it.

Funny that ;)

and?

it's not the amount of frees, it's where and when you get them

Yeah Buddy and Roughead get tons of frees.

Dude we get screwed for whatever reasons. Some people say it is unsociable footy, others say it is the grief Schwab gave some of them.

But for 5 years we have been on the receiving end of an umpiring assassination.

you don't get screwed and you don't get assassinated, you're treated the same as everybody else

hawks play rough, sometimes dirty footy and are penalised when they step over the line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you don't get screwed and you don't get assassinated, you're treated the same as everybody else

hawks play rough, sometimes dirty footy and are penalised when they step over the line

So the 50 odd posts in the Grand Final thread on BF here in 2008 from neutrals saying we were being screwed by McLaren were all wrong too?

yes they were

umpires occasionally make mistakes, and while mclaren made a couple of errors it had no real impact on the game

Agree that it's a consequence of playing "unsociable football".

Did some stats a while back on reports & suspensions over a three-year period and Hawthorn were leading those, too.

When you follow Geelong, you shouldn't really comment on the umpires and their bias. Amusing to hear Tiger fans comments too. Hawks really got the raw end of the stick from the umpires today, but at least (for once) the decisions themselves were relatively consistent to each other.

There were maybe 5-6 frees you'd expect to be paid that weren't for holding in our forwardline, Brown getting headbutted should have resulted in a secondary shot on goal, the double-digit times the Tigers took on the tackler, lost possession and weren't penalised, etc.

The umpires were also red-hot on any of the Hawthorn players getting their hands on the ball - I counted seven holding-the-ball decisions where the player "dived on it", where probably only two should have been paid.

When the umpires ignore clear and blatant frees to guess (and get wrong) others there is an issue.

McLaren clearly learnt his lesson from the Essendon game....no way he was paying a free kick to Hawthorn this week.

Ron, that (MRP) is just further evidence unfortunately of the dual standards.

For every one of those reports, there's another three opposition players that either weren't looked at, or deemed unworhty of suspension/points.

The media is an extremely powerful influence on AFL decisions, and we painted ourselves into a corner by embracing their reporting on our team in 07/08.

When you follow Geelong, you shouldn't really comment on the umpires and their bias

there is no umpire bias

geelong and every other club are umpired to the same standards that hawthorn are

when we do something that is against the rules, we are punished for it

most clubs don't overstep the boundaries to the extent hawthorn do

I don't think too many sides can complain about the umpiring against Hawthorn.

The umpires hate them with a vengeance.

They bring it on themselves for sure, but nevertheless, the Hawks never get the right end of the pineapple.

there is no umpire bias

geelong and every other club are umpired to the same standards that hawthorn are

when we do something that is against the rules, we are punished for it

most clubs don't overstep the boundaries to the extent hawthorn do

I'm going to have to disagree with you there.

We get a pretty nice go from the umps most of the time, as most champion sides tend to.

To say the umpires don't have their biases would be naive and a tad ignorant.

I don't think too many sides can complain about the umpiring against Hawthorn.

The umpires hate them with a vengeance.

They bring it on themselves for sure, but nevertheless, the Hawks never get the right end of the pineapple.

This is why I love your jibe Diablo, thanks mate for acknowledging the frustration we have.

Hope you guys win the flag btw, you have earn't my utmost respect as a team. Actually cheer for you guys against teams like the Saints now.

Agree that it's a consequence of playing "unsociable football".

Did some stats a while back on reports & suspensions over a three-year period and Hawthorn were leading those, too.

Does that make it right?

I thought umpires to paid to pay free kicks when they were there?

Or am I wrong, are they now the moral adjudicators of our game?

Anyone read Wayne Carey's book?

In it he tells of how Darren Goldspink decided that no matter what happened to Wayne he would never, EVER, pay him a free kick.

Also told him of some of the abuse Goldspink would hurl him.

This goes at the heart of what I hate about umpires. This is appalling stuff, and this 'we are bigger than the game stuff' is about as damaging long term to our game as any other issue.

I find it remarkable that umpires such as Goldspink, McLaren et al, were/are seemingly given the license to add personal vendettas, hatred, bias and more into their adjudication.

It is not a popular term, but it is actually called CHEATING.

Does that make it right?

I thought umpires to paid to pay free kicks when they were there?

Or am I wrong, are they now the moral adjudicators of our game?

I don't know about making it right, but it's human nature. The umpires have emotions and feelings just like the rest of us and like the rest of us, they are entitled to make mistakes. And like the rest of us, they have their biases (even though they are not supposed to as such).

Surely footy clubs, and the supporters who follow them, would know by now that it pays to get the umps on side.

Hawthorn, at the moment, have gone out of their way to cultivate an image as being mean arseholes, both on and off the field. In my time of watching footy, I can't think of too many sides who have cultivated that image who have been darlings with the umps. Hawks fans have to suck it up when it comes down to it I feel. Being assholes helped them win a flag, and if you're going to be assholes you can't expect it all to go your way.

I do remember a certain period of Hawthorn dominance though, where they got a very very good go with the men in white. In addition to what i've said above, it pays to remember that no matter what happens, whether it's decision to decision, quarter to quarter, game to game, season to season, hell, even decade to decade, it all evens itself out in the end.

I cannot think of one single premiership that was won or lost on the basis of umpiring. Not even 1979 ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back