Umpires with no cajones

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Leaving aside wether the Rioli block was a right or wrong decision, what is Rioli suppose to do ?
Just let his opponent run straight at the ball ?

What technique should he use to be in the clear ?

He may not of been aware Sheed was there.

If it was a one on one it would have been seen as good body work.

Just asking as someone who hasn’t played the game in over a quarter of a century.

Please go easy on me. :$

Did any collingwood supporter happen to see cox take about 10 steps to the side when he marked in the back line no play on so let it go
I could pick out several similar ones both ways that weren't called on play yesterday. The Howe non-htb in the goal square late in the last quarter was a bigger miss than Cox not getting called to play on.

They let plenty go all game both ways (like Howe dragging it back in late in the third, and then a clear incorrect disposal 30 seconds later by a Pie defender), so you can't just pick out a couple at the end as the influential ones.
The one in the third was the correct call, I was sitting in that pocket and the eagles player on top of Howe clearly dragged the ball back in. You could pick out 5-10 things each way through out the match that may have changed the outcome though, so I agree it's clearly not right to isolate the piece of play (including Ryan's mark) that lead to the Sheed goal.

Ultimately the better team won.

Last edited:

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Leaving aside wether the Rioli block was a right or wrong decision, what is Rioli suppose to do ?

Just asking as someone who hasn’t played the game in over a quarter of a century.

Typically blocks get paid when the blocker is not looking at the footy, or deliberately stops the opposition from contesting the ball when they're outside the contest.

In this case, Willie was looking at the football, so you'd be assessing the latter. Given they were at the drop of the ball, it's not unreasonable to assess it as a genuine contest. The fact Sheed came across in front of them was fortunate for the Eagles.

Former player and umpire Jordan Bannister yesterday took to Twitter to say the moment was a 50-50 call as Rioli could have competed for the mark if Sheed had not taken it.

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I could pick out several similar ones both ways that weren't called on play yesterday. The Howe non-htb in the goal square late in the last quarter was a bigger miss than Cox not getting called to play on.

The one in the third was the correct call, I was sitting in that pocket and the eagles player on top of Howe clearly dragged the ball back in. You could pick out 5-10 things each way through out the match that may have changed the outcome though, so I clearly agree it's not right to isolate the piece of play (including Ryan's mark) that lead to the Sheed goal.

Ultimately the better team won.

Howe firstly dived on it, pulled it in and I reckon it came out and was pulled in by an Eagle, that was HTB every day of the week every other round of the year.

In one of the finals a player fell on the ball, never onced touched it with their hands, rolled over and the ball is being held to them by the defender, it was a free kick.

Whether we like the rule or not, Howe should have been pinged.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Mick Malthouse said on the Offsiders this morning that he thought it was a fifty fifty call, and fifty fifty calls
weren't really paid all day.

I think only 4 free kicks paid in the last quarter.

Play on baby.

Roquay

Mistakes brought to you by my iPhone
Apr 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Rioli was going for the mark and that matches up with the drop zone of the ball. Yeah in the end he knew his teammate was going to get it and it was more about blocking. Still though the umpire can’t really pay it as a block as he legitimately was in a marking contest. It was just intercepted by his own teammate.

Calling play on would have been a stretch. He took two steps but was already moving in that direction to take the mark. He can’t just stop dead.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Rioli was going for the mark and that matches up with the drop zone of the ball. Yeah in the end he knew his teammate was going to get it and it was more about blocking. Still though the umpire can’t really pay it as a block as he legitimately was in a marking contest. It was just intercepted by his own teammate.

Calling play on would have been a stretch. He took two steps but was already moving in that direction to take the mark. He can’t just stop dead.
This.

Can those who think it was a free kick please explain what Rioli should have done ?

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think the worst umpires decision of the day was to allow shuey his 30 seconds to have a shot on goal from inside the centre square. Pathetic to not call that play on earlier as there was no way he was ever going to get a goal from there. Wasted 20 seconds that could again have impacted the result.

Overall though, thought it was one of the best umpired games all year as they let the little things slide and play continue.

Winky

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2009
Sunshine coast
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
The umpiring was horrific both ways. Appalling.
I reckon the pies got the rub of the green more with non calls that had previously been paid against WC The also finished up with about 4 free more than EC with a total of only 17. Having said that it was an extremely well umpired game as was the one they did last week. No major howlers even though you could take issue with decisions and non decisions. Clearly the best umpires in the game and given there were a few things people can legitimately query, it just shows how hard the game is to umpire. Collingwood have no right to claim they were hardly done by. Talking about a block from Rioli when Mayne clearly blocked McGovern by having his back to the ball and tackling him when the ball hadn't arrived plus Howe arm chopped Darling nearly every time he went for a mark. Pros and cons both ways.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
Rioli made contact front on, without Sheed there he could have flown for the mark and would have been in prime position. He has every right to block space, to initiate contact and go for the mark.

He didn't get in there with a bump or back into him to stop his run, he was every chance to mark himself if circumstances were different.
I actually thought it should have been a free to Rioli for high contact, last time I looked at the rules a hand to the back of the head is above the neck

WCE fan22

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Howe firstly dived on it, pulled it in and I reckon it came out and was pulled in by an Eagle, that was HTB every day of the week every other round of the year.

In one of the finals a player fell on the ball, never onced touched it with their hands, rolled over and the ball is being held to them by the defender, it was a free kick.

Whether we like the rule or not, Howe should have been pinged.
Im happy enough that howe was not called for htb in that instance (as ive used that same technique to get someone htb but in my case the umpire was blind sided ) and you could see the ball being pulled under by wc good effort at trying to get a free but no luck play on

WCE fan22

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the worst umpires decision of the day was to allow shuey his 30 seconds to have a shot on goal from inside the centre square. Pathetic to not call that play on earlier as there was no way he was ever going to get a goal from there. Wasted 20 seconds that could again have impacted the result.

Overall though, thought it was one of the best umpired games all year as they let the little things slide and play continue.
Agree he was never going for goal

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies

What you can't see from the TV clip is just how far out of his way he went to block Maynard.

Being at the game right behind the goals I can tell you that Rioli made a bee line at Maynard a long way out to intentionally get contact on him and never, ever had any intent on playing the ball.

The umpire probably didn't have the best view of it either as they were probably watching the kick in first.

Was a clear free kick though.

wotdoiput

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2007
Millicent, SA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, LA Clippers, Baltimore
there were plenty of non-decisions that went the pies way, as usual with any close game people want to pick out one instance near the end and whine about it

we're used to it, it wouldn't be an eagles victory without the salty oppo tears

Makes it all the sweeter.... that and winning by 5 points

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Nah, umps got it right. Would have been hugely more controversial if either of those calls went the other way, as opposed to just a tiny bit controversial the way they stand. Therefore seems less than a 50/50 call and the umps went the right way.

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
What you can't see from the TV clip is just how far out of his way he went to block Maynard.

Being at the game right behind the goals I can tell you that Rioli made a bee line at Maynard a long way out to intentionally get contact on him and never, ever had any intent on playing the ball.

The umpire probably didn't have the best view of it either as they were probably watching the kick in first.

You may be right, but for some reason I am not prepared to take your word for it.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
I reckon the pies got the rub of the green more with non calls that had previously been paid against WC The also finished up with about 4 free more than EC with a total of only 17. Having said that it was an extremely well umpired game as was the one they did last week. No major howlers even though you could take issue with decisions and non decisions. Clearly the best umpires in the game and given there were a few things people can legitimately query, it just shows how hard the game is to umpire. Collingwood have no right to claim they were hardly done by. Talking about a block from Rioli when Mayne clearly blocked McGovern by having his back to the ball and tackling him when the ball hadn't arrived plus Howe arm chopped Darling nearly every time he went for a mark. Pros and cons both ways.
Yeah they were some both ways. The Howe non holding the ball, Rioli block and there’s one where stephenson got tackled running towards goal, got a boot to it and it was paid holding the ball. Cost them a goal as another player picked the ball up and was off. High tackle against Shuey wasn’t paid and a lot in protected zone. All round a s**t display in my opinion. A game well umpired is where you don’t notice them and I certainly did in this game.

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One

Terrible non decision. Clear block.

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
Pie fans are saying what any group of fans in the competition would be saying in the situation, but truthfully if it happened in the second quarter in a run of the mill game in the regular season, no one would raise an eyebrow whatever the decision. Could/should be a free, sometimes will be paid as a mark.

If I were neutral I'd say most probably its a block- there's some doubt because Rioli had eyes for the contest and both players were engaged.

With two minutes to play in a grand final the umpires are screwed either way. It's all very well to say pay the free if it looks to be there, but in the context of a hard fought game which was generally umpired very conservatively it would have been surprising decision to suddenly pluck that out. Either way it would have gone down in grand final folklore.

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Free kick to Maynard should have been paid, but I think it was ambiguous enough to not be paid, as well. Likewise, the issue of whether Sheed ''played on''.

Can understand Collingwood supporters being slightly aggrieved about it

Back