Umpires with no cajones

Remove this Banner Ad

The block was a borderline call. But every team does it. Collingwood block for Cox at almost every contest. Basically every team's defence does this to some degree.

The play on however was so obvious. He stopped, moved a couple of steps and then decided to go back for the shot.
disagree the only extra step he took was to push himself back behind the mark - he needed to step forward to go back because he was overbalanced looking to play on but not actually playing on.

Interesting screenshot, that is further out than I remembered it. I don't disagree that Shuey was taking the piss and was never going for goal, but I've seen it all season where players have been allowed a "shot" from 70m. I think the issue is more with the rule and its interpretation rather than the individual decision.

Agree the rule more so itself is an issue and I wouldn’t personally be against not allowing the shot clock for a mark outside the 50 to clear it up

View attachment 567051

There would not have been a single other example of a player being allowed the 30 seconds from within the centre square all year. He was clearly never having a shot and should have been called to move on much sooner. I highly doubt any player in the game would get the distance on a set shot from there, on the run yes but not a set shot (don’t think the shot clock should be allowed for Hail Mary torps from those distances either). If players are allowed to start milking the shot clock when 65m from goal, that’s setting a dangerous precedent for future games, where 99% of the time they will be called to play on. Many many times during the season players were called to move it on from a closer distance than Shuey was, needs to be a consistent ruling.

It’s incredibly unlikely that the extra 20 seconds milked from this instance would have had any impact on the result of the game but we can’t have players wasting time when that far out from goal.

He’s almost standing in the centre circle, that’s just crazy to allow that

http://www.afc.com.au/video/2018-04-20/highlights-r5-tex-from-long-range

Stephenson apparently ran 26m before kicking his 2nd goal, clearly a free kick. Might get a petition up to have the winning margin extended.
Not only did Stephenson run 26m, but there were a number of missed frees that could have resulted in WC scores.

2 missed HTB, one in front of goal, one on the boundary. There was the missed 50m to Cripps on HB. There was the clear holding of Darling.

Interesting screenshot, that is further out than I remembered it. I don't disagree that Shuey was taking the piss and was never going for goal, but I've seen it all season where players have been allowed a "shot" from 70m. I think the issue is more with the rule and its interpretation rather than the individual decision.

The mark itself is probably 55m out meaning he is probably kicking from 60-65.

Earlier this year Daniel Howe had a shot and the man on the mark was maybe just outside 50.

The ump called him to play on!!!!! Like what? He was having a set shot!

Howe rushed the kick and made the distance easily.

Umpire is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The mark itself is probably 55m out meaning he is probably kicking from 60-65.

Earlier this year Daniel Howe had a shot and the man on the mark was maybe just outside 50.

The ump called him to play on!!!!! Like what? He was having a set shot!

Howe rushed the kick and made the distance easily.

Umpire is damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Shuey can kick 60m and a 55m set shot is within his range/ability.

I think the worst umpires decision of the day was to allow shuey his 30 seconds to have a shot on goal from inside the centre square. Pathetic to not call that play on earlier as there was no way he was ever going to get a goal from there. Wasted 20 seconds that could again have impacted the result.

Overall though, thought it was one of the best umpired games all year as they let the little things slide and play continue.
If it was Lance Franklin would you think differently? Can't change rules on your or the umpires belief on how far the player can kick.

Just got home from the game. Collingwood got the better of the umpiring all day. In the second quarter the Eagles were bent over. No doubt about it. The rubbish 50 that went the Eagles' way and the Rioli infringement (was right in front of me actually) were the only two obvious passages I could see at the game which went the Eagles' way. Also curious why Sidebottom wasn't penalised for a deliberate rushed behind at the end. Haven't seen a replay but at the game it looked like it should have been called deliberate.

How can you be taken seriously when you don’t even know the rules? Deliberate rushed behind while under pressure as long as it’s within 9m is perfectly legal.
You’re not worthy of getting a grand final ticket, trade it in next time for someone who understands the game and it’s rules.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Free kick to Maynard should have been paid, but I think it was ambiguous enough to not be paid, as well. Likewise, the issue of whether Sheed ''played on''.

Can understand Collingwood supporters being slightly aggrieved about it

Nothing ambiguous about this... would love to know what Brett “I’m from WA” Rosebury has to say about

Image1538463664.556230.jpg

Another comment mentioned about other frees let go etc and they are right. Umpires can’t adjudicate the perfect game and the big moment free/non free gets everyone talking but I had a good look at it where it impacted scoring;

Q4 Darling should have got a free in last when Howe grabbed in goalsquare after Kennedy sprayed his shot (eagles +11 points)

Q4 - centre bounce free kick against Grundy. Just after De Goey put pies 12 up, next bounce veers to grundys side, he’s caught under it, lycett takes the Michael holding run up and Grundy instinctively sticks an arm out to protect his space and called for, wait for it, a BLOCK - re bounce the ball then dickhead. Lycett clearing kick marked by Vardy and goals, diff 6 points. Stops pies big momentum shift. Grundy needed to do a Toby Greene to protect himself in that vulnerable position to apparently not give away a free kick. howler. Grundy 49 hitouts lycett 15, Vardy 14, Grundy 1 FF and 4 FA
(Eagles + 5 points)

Q3 Josh thomas should have had a set shot 30m out late in 3rd for a clear hold preventing him from running into open goal (instead he had to hurry a snap shot and missed)
(Magpies + 1 points)

Q3 Kennedy probably should have got a free against Goldsack falling into his back while spoiling; bit of a Rance special there where an effective spoil seems to negate any form of potential free kick given away in the act of spoiling
(Eagles + 5 points)

Q2 Cox arm chop not paid against McGovern in 2nd quarter 40m out.
(Eagles + 4 points) - predict a Cox miss

Q2 - Howe dragged it in. Yes he did, but the tackle was illegal; driven into the ground was a clear in the back. Watch again.
(No change to score)

Q4 - Sheed/Maynard/Rioli - Pies +2 points.

2018 premiers, Collingwood Football Club winning an epic by 2 points; Eagles despite +18 inside 50s couldn’t take their chances as the collingwood makeshift defence hold on after laying 104 tackles to 72. Tom Langdon Norm Smith...

and then I woke up :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, argument for the free being paid.
Prohibited contact and payment of a free kick 15.4.5 - e) unduly pushes, bumps, blocks, holds an opposition Player or deliberately interferes with the arms of an opposition Player, who is in the act of Marking or attempting to Mark the football;

Argument against the Free Kick being paid
Permitted Contact 15.4.3 - e) if such contact is incidental to a Marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking or attempting to Mark the football.

Personal opinion - Rioli would have acted in the same manner had Dom Sheed not been there. He was looking at the ball, protecting the drop zone and making a legitimate attempt to mark or contest the football. Umpire made the right call.
That’s all well and good , now can you quote the high contact rule as Maynard’s hand was clearly on Rioli head

That worked out to be +1 point to collingwood.. and that’s not including the joint Mihocek/WHE shared mark in the last qtr that in the history of the game I’ve never seen it NOT paid a mark, only ever a ball up if clear an OPPOSING player touched it.

I’m unflinchingly biased, but the umpires had a massive say and so did some luck so I accept it as a “not meant to be” flag despite the Cinderella storyline

How can you be taken seriously when you don’t even know the rules? Deliberate rushed behind while under pressure as long as it’s within 9m is perfectly legal.
You’re not worthy of getting a grand final ticket, trade it in next time for someone who understands the game and it’s rules.

"under pressure"

the eagles players stopped and watched as Sidebottom had delusions of playing for the wallabies

If you're really so salty that you'd like to sit here and pick apart every decision days after the GF then so be it. If it were me i'd probably just move on with my life. The non-decisions went both ways throughout the game as many have already pointed out and accepted, if you really want to pin our victory down to the decision to not award a free which would've been extremely dubious given Rioli was only protecting the drop zone, then go for it. That is a very poor attitude to hold though.

I think this says more about our sport that this instance could realistically be interpreted as a free kick and not a free kick. It demonstrates just how subjective our "rules" have become thanks to the AFL.

Nice melt.

Every week sooks sook about umpiring. It's what sooks do.

The handful of pies fans sooking are no different to the handful of Eagles fans that sook when they lose and the swans fans that sook when they lose and the dogs fans that sook when they lose.

No point arguing with a child, you'll seldom change their mind.

If it was Lance Franklin would you think differently? Can't change rules on your or the umpires belief on how far the player can kick.

Even if it was franklin I wouldn’t like to see them get the 30 seconds from that distance. In every game I’ve seen this year they have been told to move it on from that distance, so to be consistent so should shuey.

How would you feel if in the last 2 mins when the pies were up still, if they lined up 65m from goal and just kicked it along horizontally and all took up their 30 seconds and won the match by taking up the time with no intention of going for goal. There needs to be a consistent limit on what’s allowed, and my view is that from where shuey was that shouldn’t be allowed the shot clock.

Even if it was franklin I wouldn’t like to see them get the 30 seconds from that distance. In every game I’ve seen this year they have been told to move it on from that distance, so to be consistent so should shuey.

How would you feel if in the last 2 mins when the pies were up still, if they lined up 65m from goal and just kicked it along horizontally and all took up their 30 seconds and won the match by taking up the time with no intention of going for goal. There needs to be a consistent limit on what’s allowed, and my view is that from where shuey was that shouldn’t be allowed the shot clock.
I agree, but does that rule exist or is it subjective?

I agree, but does that rule exist or is it subjective?

Once again it’s up to umpire interpretation like most rules so it will vary, but there needs to be some common sense applied by the umpires to acknowledge a player is wasting time or a legitimate attempt at goal. I believe that if the shuey kick was at any other time of the game other than at the death, he would have been told to move it on

Nothing ambiguous about this... would love to know what Brett “I’m from WA” Rosebury has to say about

mmmm Yes WA.... The AFL certainly need to look into more Victorian umpires, get the balance right.

View attachment 567366

mmmmm yeh WA.... the AFL really need to use more VIC umpires, get the balance right.

The last seven Grand Finals have been Vic v interstate clubs. Not once has a competing interstate club in any of these Grand Finals won the free kick count. Probably just a coincidence though.

Stephenson apparently ran 26m before kicking his 2nd goal, clearly a free kick. Might get a petition up to have the winning margin extended.

To be fair he didn’t have time to bounce it, otherwise he would have got tackled. My mate actually said that like it made sense. Dead set box head .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back