Umpires with no cajones

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again it’s up to umpire interpretation like most rules so it will vary, but there needs to be some common sense applied by the umpires to acknowledge a player is wasting time or a legitimate attempt at goal. I believe that if the shuey kick was at any other time of the game other than at the death, he would have been told to move it on

Interesting you mention the timing of the Shuey incident. The Eagles were 5 points up in the final minute, meaning even an ugly torpedo for a minor score would have put them a full goal up and guaranteed at least extra time. Perhaps this weighed on the umpire's mind in terms of the legitimacy of his intention to shoot?

Once again it’s up to umpire interpretation like most rules so it will vary, but there needs to be some common sense applied by the umpires to acknowledge a player is wasting time or a legitimate attempt at goal. I believe that if the shuey kick was at any other time of the game other than at the death, he would have been told to move it on

Surely the rule change that needs to be implemented on this one is if a player indicates they want the 30 seconds, their team can't take a mark off that kick?

Surely the rule change that needs to be implemented on this one is if a player indicates they want the 30 seconds, their team can't take a mark off that kick?

What if a player miskicks it? That's too hard to police

Blaming the umpires is the most pathetic s**t in the AFL, and Pies fans are amongst the worst for it. No offence to the level-headed ones who understand it wasn't the umpires fault they lost but there are so many who look for any excuse after a loss.

Also Maynard got Rioli high before the ball came in so I don't see the issue, the right result was a shot on goal for WCE.

It’s a master stroke if he gets onto a torp and gets out the back. Fine line with 40 seconds left innit.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No guts no glory, but the Eagles knew it was coming so they positioned themselves accordingly.

Interestingly enough though the one person who didn't read it was Mason Cox, he was positioned out on a flank. Having him at centre half forward to either mark it or tap the ball on would have benefited you greatly, but he didn't have the game awareness for it.

If you are sticking with your “Maynard got Rioli high” claims the no way you’ve seen this footage surely? Behind goal on AFL360 around 10m25 onwards. Watch 8.25m onwards to see the chan7 footage too.

I’ve finally gone through the stages of denial, anger etc to acceptance. That the pies weren’t good enough for long enough and eagles were. Take nothing away from either teams defence because both were warrior-like.

The pies lacked composure when in the lead and in attack for about 4 minutes before the sheed goal.

De Goey rushed a shot instead of handball to Sidebottom with 5.10 to go, Adams right foot banana instead of handball to Stephenson on his left (or kick on his left) in same passage of play, Hoskin- Elliott not having a shot from 50 (the half kick intended for cox nearly sailed through but touched by barrass). No talk or understanding between Mihocek and Stephenson to raffle a mark instead of both contest get hands on it and force umpire to call a ball up for it touching too many hands.
If just one showed composure it was game over and same can be said for masten & Ryan so no disrespect to Eagles.

Mark LeCras summed it up well in his little video diary entry.

Blaming the umpires is the most pathetic s**t in the AFL, and Pies fans are amongst the worst for it. No offence to the level-headed ones who understand it wasn't the umpires fault they lost but there are so many who look for any excuse after a loss.

Also Maynard got Rioli high before the ball came in so I don't see the issue, the right result was a shot on goal for WCE.
100% agree and 100% disagree.

Blaming umpires is pathetic.
Every club has it's rational and irrational supporters. No club is worse than another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Maynard block is just desperate whinging, only happening because it was right near the end of the game.

I don't even really think it was a clear free, and these marking contest "blocks" happen all the time. Heck, Alex Rance is an AA because of it.

Never mind any of that, where is the questioning of Ryan's shirtfront on Maynard? Sure we all got caught up in the moment and thought "what a beauty", but it was clearly illegal.

Never mind any of that, where is the questioning of Ryan's shirtfront on Maynard? Sure we all got caught up in the moment and thought "what a beauty", but it was clearly illegal.

How was it illegal? Any particular law of the game you can cite? Or is it just a vibe thing?

How was it illegal? Any particular law of the game you can cite? Or is it just a vibe thing?

Pretty sure you can only bump side on, shirtfront has been banned for some time now.

Oddly enough if the ball were kicked, not handpassed, then it would have been paid a free for "front on contact", even if he barely touched him.

Pretty sure you can only bump side on, shirtfront has been banned for some time now.

Oddly enough if the ball were kicked, not handpassed, then it would have been paid a free for "front on contact", even if he barely touched him.
Nope you are wrong. Shirtfronts have never been banned and there is no rule about side on vs front on contact (marking contests excluded).
Yes if he was attempting a mark then for sure, but it wasn't a marking contest, it was a ball in dispute, he was within 5 meters and he didn't contact him high or in the back so it is 100% legal.

Nope you are wrong. Shirtfronts have never been banned and there is no rule about side on vs front on contact (marking contests excluded).
Yes if he was attempting a mark then for sure, but it wasn't a marking contest, it was a ball in dispute, he was within 5 meters and he didn't contact him high or in the back so it is 100% legal.

He also used Pythagoras to determine the height:weight ratio as well - because that’s now important as well

He also used Pythagoras to determine the height:weight ratio as well - because that’s now important as well

Legal and needs to stay that way. It’s the grey area that leaves us questioning the traditional “it’s part of the game” vs the modern day “it’s a really bad look for the game” argument.

In a marking contest it’s a free kick and is followed by a melee and a report for rough conduct, but in general play its fine.. When Roughead smashed Hannebery in 2014 GF it was revered because it resulted in a Gunston goal and lifted the hawks to another gear.
Maynard’s rib cage was exposed and the whack was legal because he was technically in possession, albeit for a split second and Ryan timed the hit (which is really to substitute a tackle) as any tackle probably would have earned Maynard a free kick for holding the man once he was dispossessed.

To me that’s part of the game and good players play on instinct. The more we try to make rules the harder it is for umpires to interpret, the more we take away instinct. A great example is contact below knees. Interpretation rewards the player who is 2nd to the contest and the one playing on instinct and first to the footy is penalised.

Edit - Maynard was first at the footy but in general play it brings in the tackle. It was a ‘hit’ but it was above the knees and below the shoulders.
If we stamp this out of the game soon they’ll bring out a round ball and some nets

Last edited:

Great mark by Ryan followed by a clear block by Rioli and clear play-on by Sheed. I know it'll be easy to shut me down as a sore loser, but is there any way Sheed shouldn't have been called for play-on? Ridiculous and cowardly umpiring.

Great mark by Ryan followed by a clear block by Rioli and clear play-on by Sheed. I know it'll be easy to shut me down as a sore loser, but is there any way Sheed shouldn't have been called for play-on? Ridiculous and cowardly umpiring.

It was a clear block, the umpire in question is a Collingwood supporter and went out of his way all day to appear non bias.

if true, then why was he umpiring the GF? Shouldn't be in that position where he is concerned over his bias one way or the other
I don’t know if that’s why he didn’t pay it, but he is a Collingwood supporter. Most umpires would have been passionate about a team growing up and it must effect some umpires in 50/50 decisions. After all, it’s only human nature.

I don’t know if that’s why he didn’t pay it, but he is a Collingwood supporter. Most umpires would have been passionate about a team growing up and it must effect some umpires in 50/50 decisions. After all, it’s only human nature.

yeah for sure I don't disagree - but he shouldn't have been put in the position where he was worried about being bias, or outright being bias

Not that I'm an umpire, but I would be terrible umpiring Crows games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back