Umpires !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

95&eyenoit

Debutant
Oct 24, 2003
Half Backward Flank
Other Teams
CARLTON
Now Im not one for going umpires, I believe they have a tough gig and I certainly wouldnt want to do it.

I also understand that they are human and are able to make mistakes like the rest of us mere mortals.

I never blame a result on the boys in white(or orange, yellow etc.) as this I ridiculous.

But what the F#@k was going on last night???? Some of the worst decisions I have ever seen, for both sides! And it wasnt as if they were just here and there, they were one after the other, after the other....

I'll watch the replay on Foxfooty and see if I was halucinating or not, but until then my judgement will stand: GUILTY :eek:

While I dont normally bag umpires, as i feel generally they do a good job. Last nights match effort by the three umpires was an absolute disgrace and a blight on the game!!! If these men dont get the sack after this weekends performance, then watch out other teams for these guys to potentially cos ur team the match, through paying ridiculous free kicks.

The three men in question are:
#23- Martin Ellis,
#28- Kieron Nicholls,
#31- Dean Margetts

After watching the game on replay ... full aware of enourmous (record in recent years) free kick count of 55 in the blues vs richmond game last night.... i decided to analyse the frees.

I concentrated specifically on the 3rd qtr where the radio commentators, tv commentators couldn't work out the umpires directive and seemed to distinctively show bias to the tigers with a number of ridiculous frees paid to them, costing carlton goals and handing richmond goals.

If you think Sydney was hard done by against essendon, which they were, have a look at the umpiring effort in the 3rd qtr!!! ABSOLUTELY DISGRACEFUL!!

I've analysed the third Quarter Dubios Frees (have a look for yourself) which got Richmong back in the match:

1. Blumfield Free Inside 50 - Very dubious hold by houlihan, commentators felt it was absolutely ridiculous!!! 1st goal of 3rd term, sparked revival.

2. Ottens - minutes later another extremely soft free inside 50 = goal. Second goal of qtr, both resulting from frees.

3. Norman - Paid holding the ball against on carlton 50, when hip and shoulded to the ground and didn't know where he was. Many occasions during other matches ball up. Decided to blow holding the ball. Could have got a carlton goal, as he's a super kick, but went down the other end quickley = another goal.

4. Hall - Shocking free kick to him inside carlton fwd 50 as davies running into easy goal!! Went up ground quickly, after a bit of protest from carlton, another goal to the tigers.

5. Fevola - Harsh free kick against fev, should not have been free in eyes of commentators, ridiculous according to walls i think, carlton seemed very rattled by the horendous umpiring, went up ground = krakour goal.

6. Lance - Hash free for lance, commentators complain he was trying to get to the ball and blocked, gave away free, went up ground and ottens kicked a goal.

7. Richo - Another dodgy free to this bloke. When will they learn he instigates contact, may fall to the ground looking for frees. I think 3 or so frees were paid to him on the night inside 50 .... luckily he is a hack and can't convert!!

8. Stevens - Holding decision in ruck against him, he gets tagged every week has to put up with opposition tagging him, very technical and shocking decision again.

These were a few of the 16 frees to 2 paid to richmond in the 3rd qtr. As you can tell, it not only got them back into the match, it nearly gave them a sniff of winning the match. Disgraceful!!!

While obviously ppl may think I would show bias towards carlton, i feel that these were all notable and dubious enough for an independant observer to question wtf was going on with the umpires. So I dont feel like I'm looking at the frees through rose coloured goggles. I feel that if this trend continues into other games, it could definately cost a team a win.

Nevertheless, it was the right result in the end, only had it not been for the BOG performance by the umpires, from a tigers perspective, it would have been a far greater margin.

Overall Analysis of Umpires = FOOKING SHYTHOUSE!!!!

Originally posted by BlueBoy83
3. Norman - Paid holding the ball against on carlton 50, when hip and shoulded to the ground and didn't know where he was. Many occasions during other matches ball up. Decided to blow holding the ball. Could have got a carlton goal, as he's a super kick, but went down the other end quickley = another goal.

That was a very good decision if you watch the slow-mo replay... but I don't think the umpires actually saw that - God knows I didn't. Pity about the rest of the decisions.

Norman has had two of those now - while fair on this occassion... do you think the umpires have identified him as someone who hatches it or is making a crackdown on recreational drug use? ;) :p

Originally posted by Jimmae
do you think the umpires have identified him as someone who hatches it or is making a crackdown on recreational drug use? ;) :p

I often wonder just how unbiased umpires are. They are only human and if there is a situation that is line ball would they ping the people they (either consciously or unconsciously) dont rate very highly?

Watching that decision I couldnt help but wonder if all Karls bad press works against him in the umpires mind.

Originally posted by Jimmae
Norman has had two of those now - while fair on this occassion... do you think the umpires have identified him as someone who hatches it or is making a crackdown on recreational drug use? ;) :p

Thats exactly what I thought, was almost exactly the same as the holding-the-ball against him V Hawthorn. Maybe the umpires have been advised to pay holding-the-ball against Karl whenever they can as punishment for Carlton not telling the AFL about the drug offences.

....and 2 weeks ago when he was pinged in Adleaides forard pocket with about 30 seconds left. If not for Johnschlongs shizen kick we would have lost the game.

Just so people know why I thought Norman deserved to be penalised this week:

If you watch it close up in slow mo... his head comes straight back up after he goes to ground and then dives back down again when he sees no good option.

He was driven fairly hard into the ground but clearly was no worse for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back