Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

The media are partly to blame for Eleni being one of the most high profile female umpires in the league.

I remember back to the fond days of the 90s, buying the footy record (back when it was actually good and ran good footy yarns, instead of being a glorified ad for McDonald's these days) and opening up to the pages where the final teams were listed and umpiries for the game, and hoping beyond hope, we didn't get stuck with Darren Goldspink or Grant Vernon.

Eleni is the ONLY female umpire in the AFL (excluding AFLW).

You do realise Eleni has been umpiring for 10 years before her first AFL game, parents were also umpires. Think her knowledge of the game would be very solid

No doubt, but was she the best umpire in the SANFL before being promoted onto the AFL list?? I have gone back the bast 7 SANFL grand finals and cant find her name anywhere.. which suggests she was never considered a top 3 umpire in the SANFL, however was fastracked based on gender and the PR it would give.

I am not saying this is wrong, because it certainly would encourage girls to take up umpiring which can only be a positive, but it doesnt hide the fact that Eleni is a sub standard umpire.

every umpire is sub-standard to a supporter's expectations - every single week post-match we get it in here, even when we win! doesn't matter who it is........as I have repeated ad-nauseum, the game is basically unumpirable now, they are being asked to adjudicate a lightning fast, concussive contact sport with rules that are at best idealistic and at worst ******* ridiculous - interesting someone would go back through that many records to prove a point against a woman - as for fast tracking of eleni - please tell me how else she would even get to the start line without it (if true) - feminism isn't about getting a leg up, it's about equality and when the gatekeepers to opportunity maintain the status quo, nothing changes - please don't tell me if she is good enough she will succeed, that just doesn't wash with anyone who understands how this stuff works.......now I have to go and treat a nasty wine stain............

I do recognise it is an incredibly hard game to officiate. We love the game and our club and passion bubbles over, so we voice frustration at umpires. All involved in the game, players, coaches, officials etc should be open to scrutiny. I'm just trying to be a tad more civilised when commenting on umpires during game day. Bring on round one!

I just want umpires in dazzle camouflage uniforms. That way we won't know where the shite decisions are coming from.

040f29d62cac78ca15a0e820424c4ef3.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how many on this forum have actually umpired the game at any level? A thankless task made all the more difficult given the constant rule changes. Rather than moan, volunteer to umpire some games, it would be good for your soul and your health, not mention broadening the mind.

I wonder how many on this forum have actually umpired the game at any level? A thankless task made all the more difficult given the constant rule changes. Rather than moan, volunteer to umpire some games, it would be good for your soul and your health, not mention broadening the mind.
Umpire two other sports, do they count?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta enjoy every club's supporters believing the umpires have it in for them. How can that be?
Maybe they are simply poor. The reasons for that are varied, including the constant rule changes and the grey areas open to interpretation.

Consistency is king and there are not too many that are consistent in their application, hence the constant criticism from all and sundry.

Umpires should be almost invisible within the game, not the main attraction. Determining the outcome of a contest should be the least favourite outcome for an umpire, some seem to thrive on inserting themselves into the game.

There are some terrific umpires in the game, unfortunately they are overshadowed by the inept show ponies who love being in the action and noticed for their efforts. Nicknames from the commentary team? Embarrassing for everyone involved.

Have suggested previously that admitting mistakes and allowing clubs/teams/coaches to seek clarification for an interpretation of decisions in a suitable and respectful forum would do wonders for the credibility of the umpires. Blindly claiming all decisions made during a game by humans were correct, every single week, does not help.

It’s just a little disappointing not to hear the instant feedback from the crowd.

My take on the standard. They don’t pay enough free kicks. In the pursuit of a football game at breakneck speed too much is let go. Sure the inexplicable free or 50 will have me jumping out of my seat but that’s footy. The footy mural at the MCG with the original rules of the game should be whitewashed because they look irrelevant these days.

Maybe they are simply poor. The reasons for that are varied, including the constant rule changes and the grey areas open to interpretation.

Consistency is king and there are not too many that are consistent in their application, hence the constant criticism from all and sundry.

Umpires should be almost invisible within the game, not the main attraction. Determining the outcome of a contest should be the least favourite outcome for an umpire, some seem to thrive on inserting themselves into the game.

There are some terrific umpires in the game, unfortunately they are overshadowed by the inept show ponies who love being in the action and noticed for their efforts. Nicknames from the commentary team? Embarrassing for everyone involved.

Have suggested previously that admitting mistakes and allowing clubs/teams/coaches to seek clarification for an interpretation of decisions in a suitable and respectful forum would do wonders for the credibility of the umpires. Blindly claiming all decisions made during a game by humans were correct, every single week, does not help.

1584786524819.png 1584786524819.png 1584786524819.png 1584786524819.png

Those without power, those who are losing either in life or in a competition, often resort to conspiracy theories to explain their position.

Umps make mistakes. They can have bad games, or even subconciously target certain players for extra attention (good or bad). But they don't target certain teams and its a waste of time suggesting they do.

Those without power, those who are losing either in life or in a competition, often resort to conspiracy theories to explain their position.

Umps make mistakes. They can have bad games, or even subconciously target certain players for extra attention (good or bad). But they don't target certain teams and its a waste of time suggesting they do.
I agree. That said, tonight is evidence that there is something desperately wrong with our game at present that one side can get it so right and the other so wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back