Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, the were consistent as well as pretty good tonight.

But there were more examples of this dumb new "he tried" interpretation; where players missed the ball by hand or foot, but weren't pinged for illegal disposal. Happened with both sides, so this is not a "we was robbed" thing, I just hate that this interpretation has come into the game.

In 2 seasons players will be doing it "professionally" as a way of giving their team an advantage with an illegal disposal and the cries will come from the media that "this has to stop", and then we'll be in another rule interpretation circus ...

They do it already. Take possession, feel the tackle and give a little chuck.

There were a lot missed, and kicking in danger is obviously not in favour. But everyone’s a lot happier when they aren’t blowing the whistle every two seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the risk of starting something else, waiting for the rule of the week to be the in the back rule.

Umpires are so distracted looking for a ‘genuine’ attempt they don’t notice if there are players diving into the back of, or sitting on top of, the player with the ball.

There is zero duty of care or protection for the ball player under the current set up.

At the risk of starting something else, waiting for the rule of the week to be the in the back rule.

Umpires are so distracted looking for a ‘genuine’ attempt they don’t notice if there are players diving into the back of, or sitting on top of, the player with the ball.

There is zero duty of care or protection for the ball player under the current set up.
You mean, players have backs? I'm sure you're mistaken.

Yep.

I think there is zero reference to the correct disposal rules across the board. As long as the ball keeps moving and the spectacle is maintained, it doesn’t matter how the hall moved. Throws everywhere, our guys are guilty too.

I think there is zero reference to the correct disposal rules across the board. As long as the ball keeps moving and the spectacle is maintained, it doesn’t matter how the hall moved. Throws everywhere, our guys are guilty too.
Yep, everyone's doing it as they know they can get away with it. It's a real blight on the game.

It's wrecking my enjoyment of all games, and it definitively isn't the umpire personally's fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fo count was lobsided but nothing really stood out as being an overly poor decision for or against us... Certainly can’t blame the umps for that 2ns quarter

The umpires need help, and it starts with the MRO. Fines are ok for a first offence, nothing short of suspension for subsequent offences such as punching off the ball, diving for free kicks or staging.

Players who constantly duck into contact should lose their protection for high contact, they know who the repeat offenders are, stop protecting them.

Easy enough to implement, would stamp out a lot of the bullshit stuff where players play for free kicks and leave the umpires with more scope to police the holding off the ball rubbish.

Just start paying free kicks for this throwing the ball crap, it’s not football, it’s a mess. The holding the ball rule shouldn’t be this hard, was there a re-correction after the over correction after Clarkos over-reaction?

On the AFL being weak as piss on punching, all it would take is one player taking the AFL to court for assault or to go troppo in game after being punched, if the umps or MRO don’t protect players from being punched, I’m surprised a player hasn’t given a big one back before.

WTF?
3 of the goals in that 2nd quarter were from bullshit free kicks.

3 full head on dives into our players and the umpires couldn’t blow the whistle fast enough in front of goals. It was embarrassing and in the end gave Brisbane the lead they needed and game. These maggots will ride Brisbane to the premiership this year. Bookmark it.

Don't blame the umps even though they weren't great, blame the Brisbane players who play for free kicks.
Especially Mitch Robinson.
Tough guy turned stager. Lost my respect for him tonight.
Looks like the great Fagan found a winning formula... just needs a sniper off half back and they are set.

They do it already. Take possession, feel the tackle and give a little chuck.

There were a lot missed, and kicking in danger is obviously not in favour. But everyone’s a lot happier when they aren’t blowing the whistle every two seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, this! WTF happened to kicking in danger? It's driving me nuts watching footy these days.
And player diving into other's legs... WTF?
Happens very often with no call. Was seen as poor play years ago and now is just the norm. How the * did that happen?

Umpires were cooked for both sides tonight.

Yeah, we got on the rough end of the stick more often than Brisbane but they weren't out to get us.

That deliberate out of bounds against Brisbane in the second/third quarter takes the cake off Weitering's from earlier in the year. The guy was in a tackle, could not even see which way he was going, and tried to not get pinged for holding the ball and got it out there.

The score review in the second quarter was simply bizarre. Regardless of what the umpire determined the result to be it was a point. It was the most pointless review ever.

That deliberate out of bounds against Brisbane in the second/third quarter takes the cake off Weitering's from earlier in the year. The guy was in a tackle, could not even see which way he was going, and tried to not get pinged for holding the ball and got it out there.

It should have been holding the ball, they paid deliberate instead. It was an even-up.

The more I look at footy these days the more I feel the umpiring needs to go back a few steps, and the umps need to start being campaigners and continually punish players for unsafe play, holding, improper disposal and staging, and then after the game give the big 'sit and spin' middle finger to the coaches who start to complain because they actively coach their players to play this way.
The game will be better for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back