Analysis Umpires

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The demonstrative stuff is what will work. They just have to enforce it. One umpire tonight paid a 50 against Keays for getting an earful not once but twice. That was a correct interpretation and sends the right message.
However, Frampton legit kicked (drop punted) his mouthguard away in disgust in what was plainly dissent and went unpenalised.
Rugby League and Union do it well. Basketball have mechanisms to tackle it (techs, disqualification). Umpiring is hard. Need to give them mechanisms to say enough is enough.
I saw the mouthguard thing and thought WTF?? But JSOS doesn't get away with putting the ball down on the ground after a point is kicked which I'm not even sure is an infraction (and neither did he, or the commentators). The best I saw was Young twice really retain himself and even from his expression held himself quite well after some iffy free kicks against. But the Adelaide players seems to think not looking at the umpire whilst yelling under their breath and clenching fists and having steam coming out of their ears is not dissent.

I’m a fan of the dissent rules, the umpires are being too inconsistent and they need to het better, but it’s a step in the right direction.

I do wonder though, what are the AFL doing to improving the quality of umpiring? I can’t remember any serious discussions in the media or by AFL representatives On how they are doing it.
It's front of mind. Read recent Caro.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
I’m a fan of the dissent rules, the umpires are being too inconsistent and they need to het better, but it’s a step in the right direction.

I do wonder though, what are the AFL doing to improving the quality of umpiring? I can’t remember any serious discussions in the media or by AFL representatives On how they are doing it.

Best way for the AFL to improve the umpiring, is to amend/tinker the rules that would reduce/eliminate the number of interpretations

An example of this, is when they banned placing your hands in your opponents back to brace/*/push, etc, in a marking contest. The consistency was perfect. They have now gone back to allowing it and the inconsistencies have reappeared

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Best way for the AFL to improve the umpiring, is to amend/tinker the rules that would reduce/eliminate the number of interpretations

An example of this, is when they banned placing your hands in your opponents back to brace/******/push, etc, in a marking contest. The consistency was perfect. They have now gone back to allowing it and the inconsistencies have reappeared

It should nearly be the first criteria on any list when debating a rule change.

Will this change make the game easier/harder to adjudicate?

unless it’s easier, no dice,

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

We need dissent rules for the Carlton bigfooty board.

I disagree. Vehemently. And point my finger at the main board.
have another 50 metres - you people are slow learners - what's that? shove it in my arse? that's 50 more..........off we go..........

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
have another 50 metres - you people are slow learners - what's that? shove it in my arse? that's 50 more..........off we go..........
b7792f4c2bde3190e042811002101208

thebluenewdeal

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
A lot of arm chopping on Charlie tonight

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not surprised at all by the non calls for us. Home teams have been getting the umpire advantage all season. Thought crows were hard done by last week when we played them and it was just our turn this week. Got to make sure we get first use next week as umps will call any small indiscretion our way. Pretty blatant stuff going on at the minute.

The best umpiring decision I heard this weekend (not in our game) was when Stebick said to a player "it was holding the ball except that you crashed into his back FIRST". How can an in-the-back possibly precede being caught with the ball? It's almost physically impossible.

So now umpires are imagining players defying the laws of physics ...

NavySteel

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I’ve been critical of umps at the best of times…

However, my better half was interviewing some potential medical interns this week. One of them was an Aussie rules ump.

Question was about decision making under stress. Answered relevant to his experience - paraphrased - “you have to make critical decisions while fatigued”.

NGL, kind of stumped me totally…. Have never, ever, ever considered that umps are running massive kms in a game and have to make split second decisions. Never cross my mind - always take them for granted and expect automation to an extent.

I think something tweaked a bit.

Just wanted to share!

ajb72

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
AFL umps are covering around about as much ground as Sam Walsh is.

Even community level umpires cover a fair amount per game. I’ve got two games today, which is a normal Saturday. Expect around 8km in the first game and around 11-12km in the second.
We had a guy a couple of weeks back who did 7 games on a weekend. Even though some of them are juniors and girls, he wouldve racked up around 40km for the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to be one of those supporters, but this thread here...

Thansk for posting:thumbsu:

someone went to a lot of trouble to display nearly all the blatant ducked umpire calls last night - I think teh umpire apologists on here might school themselves with a viewing - Lynch was a particularly heinous dog act but apparently no one can tell from teh video footage...

kudos to Richmond they have been coached to play the scragging stuff by a former scrager player - and they couldn't give a toss about umpire frees- because they know at the end of the day the umps feel the need to 'even things out'...

Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Thansk for posting:thumbsu:

someone went to a lot of trouble to display nearly all the blatant ducked umpire calls last night - I think teh umpire apologists on here might school themselves with a viewing - Lynch was a particularly heinous dog act but apparently no one can tell from teh video footage...

kudos to Richmond they have been coached to play the scragging stuff by a former scrager player - and they couldn't give a toss about umpire frees- because they know at the end of the day the umps feel the need to 'even things out'...

yup, play right on the edge to make sure the frees you give away are pretty significant infringements.

you'll get away with plenty but the FK ledger gets evened out through some fairly marginal calls in your favour.

Last edited:
Back