Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Some ridiculous calls last night, wasn’t the reason we lost but it certainly didn’t help. Just off the top of my head:

-Lynch poking Saad in the lead up to the first goal, should at least be a high free kick
-Ridiculous “holding” call on Lynch in Q1
-Paid the sliding rules against Newnes but not for Fisher
-The Docherty HTB when he was caught high
-Plowman HTB with no prior leading to a Riewoldt goal
-Q2 Richmond goaled from an advantage call where the Carlton players stopped running after the whistle (free wasn’t there either). Advantage rule needs to become like soccer, it’s farcical how the umpire can just restart play once they’ve blown the whistle.
-Q1 there was insufficient evidence to show Doc touching a Richmond goal but the Newnes Q4 goal there apparently was sufficient evidence
-Jack Martin got called for holding Vlastuin in a 50/50 wrestle during an forward 50 entry
-Richmond were fine to drop the ball in every tackle but our guys were consistently caught HTB despite being tackled within half a second of gaining possession.

I don't want to be one of those supporters, but this thread here...

You certainly aren't one of those supporters for not liking the way the game was umpired last night. Richmond really said we'll cheat and see what gets called and what doesn't.

It's what I was taught to do through juniors and reps. It's not supposed to work at the top level but it did.

Horrible.

Some ridiculous calls last night, wasn’t the reason we lost but it certainly didn’t help. Just off the top of my head:

-Lynch poking Saad in the lead up to the first goal, should at least be a high free kick
-Q2 Richmond goaled from an advantage call where the Carlton players stopped running after the whistle (free wasn’t there either). Advantage rule needs to become like soccer, it’s farcical how the umpire can just restart play once they’ve blown the whistle.
-Q1 there was insufficient evidence to show Doc touching a Richmond goal but the Newnes Q4 goal there apparently was sufficient evidence
-Jack Martin got called for holding Vlastuin in a 50/50 wrestle during an forward 50 entry
-Richmond were fine to drop the ball in every tackle but our guys were consistently caught HTB despite being tackled within half a second of gaining possession.

This is spot on

Umpiring 100% cost us the match last night and i'm tired of pretending it didnt.

Even if you ignore all the shocking calls (well summarised by Cripptonite above) at the end of the day its simple as - there was clearly insufficient evidence that Broad touched that Newnes goal. Don't know what that crooked cooked campaigner behind the review system was thinking when he overturned that one. Outside the 11 point swing that action singlehandedly created. We win that game.

Richmond on the end of any bad calls? or only us? :rolleyes:🤦‍♂️

Richmond on the end of any bad calls? or only us? :rolleyes:🤦‍♂️

feel free to find some and post the footage.

if you can find one as bad as the Doherty HTB, the ”non-hold“ on Cripps, the slides on Young and Fisher, the Curnow 50 or the Cripps/Baker deliberate oob calls I’ll be astonished.

All clear .......

Play. On.

FVXZx_BUAAANOoU

We got the rub of the green first encounter they got it last night it happens.

I am certainly one to yell at the umpires and seethe when it seems unfair too but we were shell shocked in a quarter and a half by the ferals hardness at the footy and their unsociable ways and just let them get away with it rather than fight back.

I think it was JSOS that finally stood up to their s**t and it sort of turned our way but the damage was done in that quarter and a half of submissive footy.

Learn from it and don't let it happen again it was a great lesson in non negotiable, head over itl, sacrificial, hard contested unsociable football and it's how you win finals if everyone is prepared to play close to the edge and urgency for the contest.

It's why these bastards have been so good for so long it's instilled in them and our coach played the exact same way and hopefully he can instill it in our players and I think it's slowing showing that to be the case but it'll take some time and sort out the meek from the brave but he'll get it right soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not watching that game again for mental health reasons but…a couple that had me scratching my head…
Did Jack Martin cop a magnificent jumper punch to the face before giving away a free?
Free against Martin was there but as far as I could see the jumper punch caused the anger.
The Lynch drive by eye gouge on Saad, intentional or not, loses us a goal, a player for 10 minutes, and a rebound opportunity.
The umpires were scratching their heads about the all in blue but pretty sure this sort of crap was a contributing factor. Sure we shouldn’t take that from Richmond and we should push back and not been walked over. But seriously what are rules for?
For balance (not much balance) I think Walsh blatantly threw one and got away with it in the last quarter.
For the record I think we played rubbish and deserved the result.

I don’t like bagging umpires as it is a tough gig but that was one of the worst umpired games I have ever seen. And while we got shafted on a lot of decisions, or non decisions, so did they. And then there was the horribly inconsistent interpretation of holding the ball. There were a few instances where player gets ball, tackled, knocked out or let’s it go, play on called. Next player gets ball, tackled, knocked out or let go, and the umpire pays holding the ball. It was like the umpire wasn’t sure on the first decision so the accumulation of the incidents caused the decision. Which is amateur stuff.
Not to mention the total ignoring of the kicking in danger rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a pretty fast game with numerous big bodies around the football. I can’t imagine how difficult it would be to adjudicate.

Last night with the rain and more bodies flying in would have made it even harder.

The inconsistency with paying one free here and the other not is incredibly frustrating. But the fault does not lie with the umpires.

The AFL keep adding additional ‘technical’ rules that seem too arbitrary and completely up to the umpires interpretation.

HOWEVER, that 50m against Charlie when the camera was showing grimes with his back to Charlie is next level room temp IQ stuff.

That was a call I can say hey that umpire used 0% of his brain and tried to be too technical. Common sense.

It’s a pretty fast game with numerous big bodies around the football. I can’t imagine how difficult it would be to adjudicate.

Last night with the rain and more bodies flying in would have made it even harder.

The inconsistency with paying one free here and the other not is incredibly frustrating. But the fault does not lie with the umpires.

The AFL keep adding additional ‘technical’ rules that seem too arbitrary and completely up to the umpires interpretation.

HOWEVER, that 50m against Charlie when the camera was showing grimes with his back to Charlie is next level room temp IQ stuff.

That was a call I can say hey that umpire used 0% of his brain and tried to be too technical. Common sense.
Fair call that. I thought they could have been a little more lenient with marks given the conditions. There were a couple that our fwds had a fair chunk of which I think should have been paid given the conditions.

Contrarian for the sake of it or do you actually have a single example to point to. There is a small mountain growing on this side.
All sides get s**t calls, just amazing so many supporters in here only remember the ones that effect us.....

Even worse are the ones who complain about which umpire we have before a game because according to them they have a bias against us......then these supporters apparently just watch that umpire all game and complain about them.

But I guess it's what footy nuffies do, see so many of them at games, they are embarrassing

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

All sides get s**t calls, just amazing so many supporters in here only remember the ones that effect us.....

Even worse are the ones who complain about which umpire we have before a game because according to them they have a bias against us......then these supporters apparently just watch that umpire all game and complain about them.

But I guess it's what footy nuffies do, see so many of them at games, they are embarrassing

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
Not one for umpires this,umpires that, it’s a tough gig.
Mistakes are always going to be made.

Subconsciously most of us watch through a coloured lens of Carlton bias, seeing those that are only missed / incorrect. Whether for or against us.

I’d openly admit to this fault, it can manifest as suspicion, thoughts of bias, even persecution for some of us.
When you take the time to look factually at what we believe are these injustices, they really aren’t there.

It’s our own biases working against us.

Its why someone with more technical capability than myself, someone more statically minded, should if possible, go back over the last 3 to 4 seasons and provide the free kick ledger for and against of umpire 22 Nathan Williamson.

Im sure if this could be done it will clearly demonstrate there isn’t any bias, that the level of professionalism and capability of the individual demonstates a pattern of impartiality.

An impartiality that is clearly distorted by our very own biases, not those of the umpire.

I
Not one for umpires this,umpires that, it’s a tough gig.
Mistakes are always going to be made.

Subconsciously most of us watch through a coloured lens of Carlton bias, seeing those that are only missed / incorrect. Whether for or against us.

I’d openly admit to this fault, it can manifest as suspicion, thoughts of bias, even persecution for some of us.
When you take the time to look factually at what we believe are these injustices, they really aren’t there.

It’s our own biases working against us.

Its why someone with more technical capability than myself, someone more statically minded, should if possible, go back over the last 3 to 4 seasons and provide the free kick ledger for and against of umpire 22 Nathan Williamson.

Im sure if this could be done it will clearly demonstrate there isn’t any bias, that the level of professionalism and capability of the individual demonstates a pattern of impartiality.

An impartiality that is clearly distorted by our very own biases, not those of the umpire.
I'm not sure if this comparison can be easily done. I seem to recall that a little while ago in an SA game someone complained about an Umpire bias and someone was able to find a stat that 14 of their 16 free kicks were to 1 side. As I recall it, the AFL doesn't provide these stats because of such cases...

On a completely unrelated note, I am impartially biased against numbers that may exist between 14 and 16, and 21 and 23. That's just my little form of Arithmophobia... 😜

Richmond's gameplan of trailing along behind opponents and giving them a big two handed shove in the back as they tried to pick up the ball worked wonders. Carlton had to take up that tactic after halftime too and it turned into a very ugly game.

That gamestyle actually works in our midfield's favour if had they been able to adapt sooner. Give us the same umpires next week and we could beat Freo with this ugly style of footy

Richmond's gameplan of trailing along behind opponents and giving them a big two handed shove in the back as they tried to pick up the ball worked wonders. Carlton had to take up that tactic after halftime too and it turned into a very ugly game.

That gamestyle actually works in our midfield's favour if had they been able to adapt sooner. Give us the same umpires next week and we could beat Freo with this ugly style of footy

Not this guy!

Nathan-Williamson2.jpg

All clear .......

Play. On.

FVXZx_BUAAANOoU

Umpire blindsided - play on.
No sorry, Cripps played for the free kick - play on.
No sorry this happens to all playmakers at every contest - play on
No sorry Cripps isn't Lynch or Riewoldt in the forward line - play on

FMD it was a frustrating game due to just plain bias against ONE team.

We'll be luck to get 1 free a quarter next week after some of our outbursts against these maggots over the past few days.
And yes - I'm still fired up with such a display from such impartial, fair and equitable officiators!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back