Remove this Banner Ad

Tr
Not this guy!

Nathan-Williamson2.jpg
Trigger warning, please....

All clear .......

Play. On.

FVXZx_BUAAANOoU

This was the one that tipped me over the edge. It was blatant and it was right in Front of the umpire (it was just after a ball-up). There was another one moments later where I think Grimes held Curnow’s jumper in a marking contest and the umpire further up the field on the 50m arch had a direct view to it and didn’t call anything. It was like Richmond benefited from 50-50 calls all night and the obvious ones weren’t paid to us.

Umpire blindsided - play on.
No sorry, Cripps played for the free kick - play on.
No sorry this happens to all playmakers at every contest - play on
No sorry Cripps isn't Lynch or Riewoldt in the forward line - play on

FMD it was a frustrating game due to just plain bias against ONE team.

This was the one that tipped me over the edge. It was blatant and it was right in Front of the umpire (it was just after a ball-up). There was another one moments later where I think Grimes held Curnow’s jumper in a marking contest and the umpire further up the field on the 50m arch had a direct view to it and didn’t call anything. It was like Richmond benefited from 50-50 calls all night and the obvious ones weren’t paid to us.

I'll just leave this here (the 2nd vid - sorry couldn't post it on it's own) ...

I am still more upset and disappointed by our extremely poor, if not lazy first half, then the many umpiring blunders we copped that night.

We can't control the umpiring and the weekly Chook raffle with the different interpretations and rules, but we can and must rectify that absolutely poor first quarter and most of the 2nd quarter, ultimately I believe that is why we lost.

Focusing on the umpires totally let's the players (mostly the mids and forwards) off the hook for that first half, and don't believe Vossy would have a bar of it for a second.

Nup, Williamson is a fair dinkum cheat with a conscious (not unconscious) bias against Carlton.

It’s so obvious over a long period of time now he doesn’t even try to hide it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It’s why it would be interesting to have the statistic of the frees he’s paid for & against across this timeframe.
I’m almost certain the ledger would be balanced somewhat - I don’t believe it would have anywhere near the level of bias some are suggesting.
I’d be happy to be proven wrong

The umps are on a hiding to nothing when it comes to adjudicating the game. However it’s a problem that’s been self inflicted. The people who direct and officiate the game have this aesthetic in their heads that’s no match for the frenetic nature of a game of footy. We’ve got to make it free flowing so we’ll ignore some obvious free kicks and go with the idea that a good game is one that is under umpired.

I’ve never ascribed to this point of view. If the free is there pay it. We don’t get as fired up about the free kicks that are paid. It’s the free kicks that are missed which really fire us up. The inconsistency of the rules not being applied when you just paid it a free kick a few minutes ago or that one was too obvious to miss.

I just looked up the frees paid in the 1970 GF. About 90 for the day. No one gave a toss about so many free kicks being paid. The game was fast, furious and a great spectacle.

Today we’ve got three of them running around, ignoring lots of free kicks and getting us all overheated. My advice is pay more free kicks.

As for the Blues getting stiffed by the umps on Thursday night. I’ll use that as a measuring stick for how good we are as a team. If we can take some poor decisions and still win games of footy then I’ll know we’ve arrived as a serious contender.

The umps are on a hiding to nothing when it comes to adjudicating the game. However it’s a problem that’s been self inflicted. The people who direct and officiate the game have this aesthetic in their heads that’s no match for the frenetic nature of a game of footy. We’ve got to make it free flowing so we’ll ignore some obvious free kicks and go with the idea that a good game is one that is under umpired.

I’ve never ascribed to this point of view. If the free is there pay it. We don’t get as fired up about the free kicks that are paid. It’s the free kicks that are missed which really fire us up. The inconsistency of the rules not being applied when you just paid it a free kick a few minutes ago or that one was too obvious to miss.

I just looked up the frees paid in the 1970 GF. About 90 for the day. No one gave a toss about so many free kicks being paid. The game was fast, furious and a great spectacle.

Today we’ve got three of them running around, ignoring lots of free kicks and getting us all overheated. My advice is pay more free kicks.

As for the Blues getting stiffed by the umps on Thursday night. I’ll use that as a measuring stick for how good we are as a team. If we can take some poor decisions and still win games of footy then I’ll know we’ve arrived as a serious contender.
The idea that less frees = good is entirely a media invention.

Nup, Williamson is a fair dinkum cheat with a conscious (not unconscious) bias against Carlton.

It’s so obvious over a long period of time now he doesn’t even try to hide it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I was gonna post the video where he totally reamed us against WCE a few years ago, but it still gives me a twitch.

Here's a shorter one though...'nothing to see here, play on'

The rules, the umpiring, the training, the pay, the interpretations, all need to improve.

The bunker or the arc or whatever we call it, also needs to improve, the cameras, the rules and the applivation needs to get better

The problem when umpires don’t play frees is that the infringing becomes more blatant
Yep. There's two effects not paying frees has on the game:

• that players who seek to skirt the edges of the rules have incentive to keep doing it to obtain advantage.
  • that free kicks - as with any sparse resource - become more valuable the less of them are awarded in a game; ie, there is more incentive to play for a free kick.

It’s why it would be interesting to have the statistic of the frees he’s paid for & against across this timeframe.
I’m almost certain the ledger would be balanced somewhat - I don’t believe it would have anywhere near the level of bias some are suggesting.
I’d be happy to be proven wrong
Paying a free to a forward in front of goal to one team and paying a free on the back flank to the other team is "balanced" according to number of frees paid but the value of those frees is not equal.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok. I barely comment on umpires. But I must admit I become extremely tense when umpire no. 22 umpires our games.

The west coast game a few years ago was the most lopsided/biased umpiring I have seen in all my years. Actually influenced the end result.

That was the start. He got my attention then. There have been so many baffling decisions against us whilst missing similar ones for us since. All inconsistent.

Thursday night he pays deliberate for a hack kick off the ground against us, then doesn’t pay a blatant deliberate kick down the line by Cotchin.

Doesn’t pay the obvious (out in the open) tugging of Cripps jumper. Which is always paid.

Pays a soft hold of the arm on Lynch by young, but misses countless holds and blocks off the ball to Curnow and McKay.

Pays that ridiculous 50 against Curnow when grimes deliberately milks it and walks with his back to Curnow so he can’t throw the ball to him.

The bravest footballer in the world who plays inthe spirit of the game (Docherty) is paid a free against because another ump said he ducked. Yet ginnivan, Selwood, Shuey and most others are paid frees for regardless of whether they duck.

Collingwood come out and whinge re ginnivan and the AFL apologise saying they got three wrong.

COME ON CARLTON. GET ON THE FRONT FOOT. DEMAND THE AFL AND UMPIRES REVIEW THESE DECISIONS. MAKE A CHANGE. WE CANNOT AFFORD THIS TO KEEP HAPPENING.

Last edited:
Ok. I barely comment on umpires. But I must admit I become extremely tense whenumpire 22 umpires our games.
The west coast game was the most lopsided/biased umpiring I have seen in all my years. Actually influenced the end result.
That was the start. He got my attention then. There have been so many baffling decisions before/against us since. All inconsistent.
Thursday night he pays a hack kick off the ground against us, then doesn’t pay a blatant deliberate kick Down the line by Cotchin.
Doesn’t pay the obvious (out in the open) tugging of Cripps jumper. Which is always paid.
Pays a soft hold of the arm only ch by young but misses countless holds and blocks off the ball to Curnow and McKay.
Pays that ridiculous 50 against Curnow when grimes deliberately milks it and walks with his back to Curnow so he can’t throw the ball to him.
The bravest footballer in the world who plays inthe spirit of the game is paid a free against because another ump said he ducked. Yet ginnivan. Selwood and most others are paid frees for regardless of whether they duck.
Collingwood come out and whinge re ginnivan and the AFL apologise saying they got three wrong.
COME ON CARLTON. GET ON THE FRONT FOOT. DEMAND THE AFL AND UMPIRES REVIEW THESE DECISIONS. MAKE A CHANGE. WE CANNOT AFFORD THIS TO KEEP HAPPENING.
Nathan Williamson needs to be sent to the bush for a long umpiring stint see if he can stuff up a game of footy there odds on I’d say

I was gonna post the video where he totally reamed us against WCE a few years ago, but it still gives me a twitch.

Here's a shorter one though...'nothing to see here, play on'

That West Coast game at Optus Stadium where he paid two of the worst holding the ball decisions against Sam Petreski-Seton that I’ve ever seen.

The prior opportunity rule makes it impossible to umpire sometimes you read minds correctly some times you don’t the worst rule in any sport in the world completely rubbish rule no blame can be afforded to umpires for trying guess a players intentions.
Doc gets ball in one hand other is pinned holding the ball Richmond takes 5 steps pulled of the ball misses kick play on both should be incorrect or no disposal
Stupid rule that will have 30% varied interpolations it isn’t a rule it’s a lottery the grey area needs to be fixed it’s a farce and embarrassment for a so called professional sport

When this particular umpire has retired I wouldn’t be surprised if he joined the west coast club as a runner

not to be picky but "the smell of hot dogs,"...

Seriously? Has he been to a suburban game? It is the smell of sausages and onions....Especially when you do back to back games from like 10am to 2pm and haven't eaten....

And while I don't condone and abuse to anyone, there are tools to deal with it and prevent it. One of the comments is about comments from the coaches box and ridicule and bias from officials. Dude, pay a free kick. Every time someone from the box or an official makes a comment, you are entitled to pay a free kick. You can also report them - which thankfully he did after the fact.

Though the point of the article is totally correct, no-one, and especially in junior games, should be abused or being abusive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back