Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

I try and ignore the officiating, umpire blaming is basically uninteresting and completely pointless. Certainly it has never "cost us the game" as our and many other clubs supporters love to say. On certain occasions, like today, the decisions are so wildly inconsistent as to be impossible to ignore. That said I don't blame individual umpires for it.

I do not understand why they are mic'd up and I agree with t60 --- I cannot stand the amount of warning the players get, if they are breaking the rules then call a free against them, they will stop pissing around soon enough.

No conspiracy just a flawed system. I feel the umpires have an incredibly hard job compounded by the following issues.
1. Stop tinkering with rules
2. Make umpires professional
3. Let the game flow
4. Be consistent

I rewatch games, like many I look back over specific incidents that rendered me apoplectic at the game. I see multiple technical infractions and somehow, one gets picked out.

Only real problem i had yesterday was 3 or 4 times the umpires would shout out "play on ,play on" from a scrub kick only for gold coast to get paid the mark!

The crew that umpired yesterday would be disappointed with their performance. Too many poor inconsistent decisions. I would expect and thorough analysis of that effort early in the week. Not good enough.
Agree with this. Reckon too often the umpires didn't put themselves in the right position to see the calls

there aren't that many options with a game that moves as fast as ours on such a large field - regardless of the number of officials they are never going to be in the ideal spot for every incident - just won't happen, not their fault.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

exhibit A with regard to every supporter thinking their team cops it the worst - from the dees board:

"Am I going crazy or do we get dudded by the umpires in Every. Single. Game.
That particular person should never umpire our games again"

Simple fixes IMO - stop ******* with the rules, pay the obvious stuff only (finals style), go back to less umpires on the ground to assist with consistency, and get cameras following every player on the field all game - review the tape thoroughly and penalise after the fact for any of the stuff that needs to piss right off (pinching, staging, illegal blocking or holding at a contest, dodgy ruckwork, etc) because trying to pick all that stuff out live is why they have such a rough time of it.

See recent poor decisions in the ruck that have changed games (last night North v Bris, or the Gawn incident last week) - why on Earth pick frees out here!? Just let it go... An impacted ruck tap is far less likely to change the game than the stupid free kick paid in the F50 that nobody understands.

Also, fix holding the ball ffs - I just don't get it any more.

you people

1. go read the norf bleat thread after their close loss to brisbane tonight
2. is that what you want to sound like? cause it is........
3. if they, like all supporters, believe they are forever being screwed by the umps, what does that tell you? hint - it's - not - just - us....there is no corruption
4. nothing is ever changed by sulking and abusing officials - on forums, in pubs, at the ground, to the television.........
5. follow your beloved football club and leave the futile victimhood to the real losers.........
I watched the North game, I actually thought they were hard done by too.

I won't begrudge them having a whinge this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back