Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

so you agree there is a trend Thy? a descending tend
no descending trend - if you want the biggest gripe I have, it's the amount of free kicks being paid - it's like the umps feel any time 2 players come together, one has to be impeding the other - let the players play you numpty numpts.............

it's funny - pretty much every game this year has been "WORST UMPIRING of a CFC game ever"...........
Oh wise one, would be great of you to give us your thoughts on the Walsh HTB, the Weiters 100m, the Newman arm chop & 50 - such great umpiring shown today?

no descending trend - if you want the biggest gripe I have, it's the amount of free kicks being paid - it's like the umps feel any time 2 players come together, one has to be impeding the other - let the players play you numpty numpts.............
All good Thy, just rattling yer chain a bit :) My gripe is not the amount they pay or dont pay, it is the inconsistent interpretation. 3 umpires does not work.

#ElmersClosingCook

Rather annoyed at several sexist/person comments about Eleni getting engaged yesterday from various boards around here.

Can only imagine how much abuse she cops from heckling galoots in the outer (happily i didn't here much yesterday at the G, was sitting near the Cheersquad and enjoyed the rather festive mood during the game.

Not a fan of umpire abuse at the best of times, but I do think some people here need to adjust their to Eleni, if she makes a mistake (like every other umpire in the history of the game), be polite and civil in your critique, no need to sprout such sexist and personally degrading stuff that really is 5 year old schoolyard stuff. Eleni and other aspiring female umpires deserve better.

#ElmersClosingCook

Rather annoyed at several sexist/person comments about Eleni getting engaged yesterday from various boards around here.

Can only imagine how much abuse she cops from heckling galoots in the outer (happily i didn't here much yesterday at the G, was sitting near the Cheersquad and enjoyed the rather festive mood during the game.

Not a fan of umpire abuse at the best of times, but I do think some people here need to adjust their to Eleni, if she makes a mistake (like every other umpire in the history of the game), be polite and civil in your critique, no need to sprout such sexist and personally degrading stuff that really is 5 year old schoolyard stuff. Eleni and other aspiring female umpires deserve better.

While I'm pretty much with you, you are setting yourself up if you are an umpire doing such a publicity grabbing proposal. You invite us into that moment- expect the good and bad.

Had a couple of games this season and last where we have not been paid a free kick for an entire quarter.

Can’t wait until we are also good enough to play completely mistake free football for 30+ minutes at a time.

If you allow yourself to think that the umpires are deliberately biased then it's going to be very hard for you to enjoy the game.

Starting with the premise that the umpires are trying to do the best job they can means that when you don't agree with a decision it's not a personal attack, it's just human fallibility. Honest mistakes are much harder to get angry about than cheating.

Having said that I think there are a whole lot of factors that unconsciously affect the umpire's decision making process like home crowd support, momentum within games, directives from above, style of play, proximity to the ends of quarters/games.

In general, I think the AFL can improve the umpiring by making it easier to umpire. I reckon there should be a major effort to simplify the game by minimising the grey areas and eliminating any unnecessary/ineffective rules.

For those claiming any deliberate bias against the CFC, I can for what it is worth tell you this is utter nonsense. A work college is actually an AFL umpires coach & from listening to him, I now have a greater respect for the job they do.

Our game I think is probably the hardest to umpire on the planet as there is so much open to interpretation.

Some decisions go our way some don't, we all make mistakes & the umpires never have the same view as us in the grandstands or on our couches.

Some times we all just find it easier to blame the umpires.

there is also the (unconscious or not) drive we have to get our way - we all have it - posters say "there were x many frees that didn't go our way" read "there were x many frees that I really wanted to go our way".......when they don't, there is the double whammy of negative emotion - we didn't get the free, we didn't get our way - who to blame? I know............boo..........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there is also the (unconscious or not) drive we have to get our way - we all have it - posters say "there were x many frees that didn't go our way" read "there were x many frees that I really wanted to go our way".......when they don't, there is the double whammy of negative emotion - we didn't get the free, we didn't get our way - who to blame? I know............boo..........
You’ve thought about this....

I remember standing behind the goals at Princes Park in 1978 or 9 I think it must have been, hard to remember, anyway I was reading the footy record at half time.
There was an article that showed by data historically how Collingwood always got more free kicks and gave less away.
We thought that was a good reason for complaining at the time.

The funny thing is we beat them in the grand final twice in three years.
And in 1970.
In fact The Colliwobblers lost a huge lot of Grand finals.
Makes you think eh?

I mean did the umpires help get them to grandfinals then put the whistle away as they say.
Or does it prove that the umpires with or without bias or mistakes don't ultimately affect the game as much as we like to think?

Simple fixes IMO - stop ******* with the rules, pay the obvious stuff only (finals style), go back to less umpires on the ground to assist with consistency, and get cameras following every player on the field all game - review the tape thoroughly and penalise after the fact for any of the stuff that needs to piss right off (pinching, staging, illegal blocking or holding at a contest, dodgy ruckwork, etc) because trying to pick all that stuff out live is why they have such a rough time of it.

See recent poor decisions in the ruck that have changed games (last night North v Bris, or the Gawn incident last week) - why on Earth pick frees out here!? Just let it go... An impacted ruck tap is far less likely to change the game than the stupid free kick paid in the F50 that nobody understands.

Also, fix holding the ball ffs - I just don't get it any more.
Ahh, discretion, the tool of roadside police everywhere when they decide who to penalise after they pull them over. Will it be the small hatchback doing 106, with a young blonde girl in it with tears in her eyes, or will it be the Dusty haired sunglasses at night wearing monaro driver doing 103 whose music you can hear beside them? One gets off with a warning, the other gets their car searched and gets fined for having 'an attitude'.

Discretion is code for interpretation and inconsistency. It sounds good - to ignore all but the obvious infringements - but it does not work that way. GAblett Jnr and Selwood would get 5 frees a game, and Mitch Robinson would still have 5+ paid against him a game. Technical infringements are still infringements. People who are protected species would still get their three votes and silver service; people who are either unknown or have - whether deserved or not - a poor rep would get tarred and feathered, as per the current status quo.

It comes down to this: do we want a fair competition or not? If so, we cannot allow umpire discretion to become a feature of our game any more than it already is.

this from the swans board can also go into the "we are treated worse than all other clubs" basket........

"If you look at the stats since 2000 it shows that it doesnt matter what we do with respect to free kicks because we will always be one of the most penalised teams in the comp."

this from the swans board can also go into the "we are treated worse than all other clubs" basket........

"If you look at the stats since 2000 it shows that it doesnt matter what we do with respect to free kicks because we will always be one of the most penalised teams in the comp."
"Although 2005, 2012 it must be said the umpiring standard was fairly reasonable".

If people are getting caught up in the moment, (and I am guilty) its only Natural we all want to see our teams win. Funny thing in business is the companies who are not trying to win but playing longer games without that mentality are succeeding (even where others have better product).

norf kicked one goal for the game, their lowest score in the club's history, but guess what?

"Fair dinkum unbelievable. Sounds like a cop out but the non call for Jack and then Hawkins paid mark in the square changed the game entirely. They smashed us thereafter but it’s a completely different game if the umps were competent."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back