Analysis Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

WFGodot

Cancelled
Nov 3, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
That bald guy last night was pissing me off, blowing his whistle every 5 seconds.
#15 Matthew Nicholls. He seems to annoy me when he officiates in our games. I feel he picks out random and relatively minor frees that are technically correct but misses the other more deserving infractions. I see the game very differently. Just my opinion.

Horizon

All Australian
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I reckon there were more blues fans there last night than gcs fans

Couldnt disagree. My section was about 90% blues fans. Coming into the ground was mostly blues fans.

I think there was only one GC chant all night. It certainly didn’t feel like a Suns home game.

We were all very loud last night. Especially when we were getting pumped by that bald idiot last night, Eddies goal and then singing the song.

WFGodot

Cancelled
Nov 3, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
For those of us that like to bemoan the standard of umpiring and a perceived bias (from time to time) against our beloved Blues, and yes, that includes me... check this out.
In relative terms with fared well with the boys and girls in flouro.
I love seeing Geelong low on this list, again my preception is that they get unduly rewarded.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 3.19.07 pm.png

For those of us that like to bemoan the standard of umpiring and a perceived bias (from time to time) against our beloved Blues, and yes, that includes me... check this out.
In relative terms with fared well with the boys and girls in flouro.
I love seeing Geelong low on this list, again my preception is that they get unduly rewarded.

View attachment 1100637

That will Include kicks out of bounds.

Remove those and breakdown free kicks in your defensive 50 then I think you could figure out where bias comes from.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I have to admit i do enjoy some of the theatrics of some umpires who like to ham it up when they pause before signalling holding the ball, or when they run like the Road Runner towards the boundary line, to signal deliberate out of bounds.

The AFL probably should do an umpiring appreciation round week to try and at least stamp on going umpire abuse at games (especially at local/grassroots level)

That Collingwood Bogan in trackkie dacks threatening them after the Lions game a few weeks ago, is a prime example.

At the end of the day, Umpires are only human capable of unintentional mistakes and errors like the rest of us and players, and I think they do deserve a lot more respect from the AFL community in general (especially the coaches)

BeijingBlue

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
Gippsland
AFL Club
Carlton
Well said. At the top level, cheating by umpires just does not happen. There is way too much scrutiny from the Umpires Department. What people forget is that without umpires there is no game. In Tasmania last week, local teams in the country had to supply a field umpire. Very sad state of affairs.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I have to admit i do enjoy some of the theatrics of some umpires who like to ham it up when they pause before signalling holding the ball, or when they run like the Road Runner towards the boundary line, to signal deliberate out of bounds.
I don't. Their job is to adjudicate the rules, not to be Pantalone.

I also don't like an umpire saying, "Holding the ball."

The rule is incorrect or failure to dispose of the ball. 'Holding the ball' is an oversimplification, by casual fans.
The AFL probably should do an umpiring appreciation round week to try and at least stamp on going umpire abuse at games (especially at local/grassroots level)
This is a great idea.
That Collingwood Bogan in trackkie dacks threatening them after the Lions game a few weeks ago, is a prime example.

At the end of the day, Umpires are only human capable of unintentional mistakes and errors like the rest of us and players, and I think they do deserve a lot more respect from the AFL community in general (especially the coaches)
Agreed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Cheat, Nathan Williamson.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Is he number 22? Because he also has an absolute love affair with the doggies. When we played them a couple of years back and won, he tried to get them over the line with 15 free kicks in a half for the mutts.

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I have to admit i do enjoy some of the theatrics of some umpires who like to ham it up when they run like the Road Runner towards the boundary line, to signal deliberate out of bounds.
You just made me realise how ridiculously hilarious this is.

ajb72

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't. Their job is to adjudicate the rules, not to be Pantalone.

I also don't like an umpire saying, "Holding the ball."

The rule is incorrect or failure to dispose of the ball. 'Holding the ball' is an oversimplification, by casual fans.

This is a great idea.

Agreed.
Well considering rule 18.6 is called "Holding the ball", I think it is fair for the umpires to call it.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Well considering rule 18.6 is called "Holding the ball", I think it is fair for the umpires to call it.
Considering that rule 18.6 is a rule category governing all aspects of incorrect disposal, prior opportunity or failure to dispose of the ball correctly, it's not as accurate to call all of the rules holding the ball as it is to refer to the specific rules.

You know, seeing as we're nitpicking.

Dunna Heartknee

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Played in a game where one of our players got the ball 5 meters out from goal got tackled kicked it sailing straight over the umpires head, he signaled a goal [it was a time before the goal umpire had to receive confirmation from the field umpire]. the ball clearly crossed the line. There was a howling wind blowing stopping the balls trajectory, on the way back down the ball grazed the back of the goal post while the umpire was signaling a goal. I don't know myself,
so what is the correct call here?

Played in a game where one of our players got the ball 5 meters out from goal got tackled kicked it sailing straight over the umpires head, he signaled a goal [it was a time before the goal umpire had to receive confirmation from the field umpire]. the ball clearly crossed the line. There was a howling wind blowing stopping the balls trajectory, on the way back down the ball grazed the back of the goal post while the umpire was signaling a goal. I don't know myself,
so what is the correct call here?
If the ball fully crosses the back of the line without being touched, it would be awarded a goal. So if it's fully crossed the line before swinging back and touching the post, I guess that would be a goal too.

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
This is not to criticise the umpires, but the game has far too many rules that are open to discretionary interpretations.

Example A: Kennedy is tackled straight away, his opponent's intent is only to pin the ball to him, clearly not coming out, no whistle blown, pinged for no genuine attempt while attempting to shake the tackle.

Kennedy.gif

Example B: Rozee is tackled straight away, Ed's intent is to pin the ball in, clearly not coming out, whistle instantly blown for a ball up while Rozee lays motionless.

Rozee.gif

You could argue both are correct, reverse the decisions, make new arguments in support, and be technically correct in every instance.

If a rule isn't going to be applied on every occasion, then it isn't needed.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah for sure but I liken it to a job I had in events where the project manager i worked with a few times was scatter brained as all hell - made us look pretty average because we just couldn't keep up with the constant chopping and changing.

Fair.
The instruction from the top is clearly terrible. They need to be instructed to call a ball up a lot quicker in situations like the Kennedy one. The Rules committee needs to scrap the ruckmen nominating, and the umps should be instructed to ball it up as quickly as possible.
Also needs to be a massive crackdown on incorrect disposal/dropping the ball. It's an absolute blight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back