Roast umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

it was appalling....

most games this weekend its been bad, I;m sick of those twats wanting to be heroes..

I've had enough of it honestly. The umpiring has been appauling this year and something needs to fu****ng change. Its fu****

Seriously cost us that goal just before half time as it should have been holding the ball. Then their first goal in the third was from another shocking decision.

Yarran chasing down doesn't get rewarded.

Thats 3 that stick out for me. FU**

That non holding the ball will go down as the worst clanger the imps will make this year. Not to mention the Russel free against in the 3rd. Having said that, geez we were pathetic

I look forward to when we don't need to roast the umps, no matter how much of an advantage they try to give to Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You should rephrase it to "Round 3". Nothing wrong with the second game last year, but the first encounter of 2009 was worse than tonight's. That holding the ball that wasn't paid was just incredible.
You've got to be kidding. The second game was perhaps the most crooked, one-sided display I've seen from so-called umpires in twenty years. They found every excuse they could to put Essendon back in the game and then they buried us with bullshit decisions in the second half. If I was an AFL official, I would have been examining their bank accounts by 9am Monday morning.

Tonight I thought the Bombers got the better of the decisions, but really, we were second to the ball most of the night, and even when we got our hands on it we butchered it. We deserved to lose. Can't say the umpires were the overriding influence tonight.

I've had enough of it honestly. The umpiring has been appauling this year and something needs to fu****ng change. Its fu****

Seriously cost us that goal just before half time as it should have been holding the ball. Then their first goal in the third was from another shocking decision.

Yarran chasing down doesn't get rewarded.

Thats 3 that stick out for me. FU**

I 1000000% agree the umpiring was at one of it's lowest points tonight, but it really was pretty disgraceful for both teams.

There's been way too much tinkering with rules, the game is moving faster than it ever has before and players are consistently trying to milk free kicks that aren't really there. In the end it's leading to a lot of missed free kicks and lot that aren't really there.

I dunno what can be done about it apart from more umpires, but I fear it's only gonna get worse.

Can somebody please explain to me how the umpire could possibly not have paid holding the ball when Yarran ran down Pears?

Did he have prior opportunity? Yes.
Did he dispose of the ball correctly? No, he dropped it.

We wouldn't have won regardless, because we were pathetic, but that was probably the worst non-decision I've ever seen.

I hate how players throw theyre heads back every time they are tackled.
even if its around the waist.

Lol, exactly what i mean, way too much staging these days. And you can see it coming from a mile away too, the way they do that stupid ****in back arch thing as soon as someone touches them. I swear players are instructed to milk for free kicks.

Three really stand out to me.

1. The Yarran chase down and tackle.
2. The free kick for a "hold" to Hooker on the goal line. Think it was against Russel or Carrazzo
3. The Ryder "mark" I was at the game live and haven't seen one replay but surely that bounced!!!

Can somebody please explain to me how the umpire could possibly not have paid holding the ball when Yarran ran down Pears?

Did he have prior opportunity? Yes.
Did he dispose of the ball correctly? No, he dropped it.

We wouldn't have won regardless, because we were pathetic, but that was probably the worst non-decision I've ever seen.

While you're at it can someone explain why Betts wasn't paid a push in the back by Fletcher when Betts was running in to goal? Or what Russell did wrong in keeping his eye on the ball and then turned to take front position, got grabbed from behind and punched the ball through??

Posted these in the "cheers" thread before I saw this one :)

OK, Carlton played like crap and Essendon's greater level of determination meant that they should win the game. but clearly wrong umpiring decisions that cost us goals:

1. David Hille caught holding the ball in the forward pocket (incorrect disposal in exactly the same way that was paid against Marc Murphy later in the game in the Essendon forward line) ball gets kicked to the top of the square, spills to an Essendon player - goal.

2. Jordan Russell running back with the flight of the ball, turns around, eyes solely on the ball, backs into his opponent and knocks the ball through. Contact with the player is made with the ball well within 5 metres, no holding, just better body position, paid for shepherding - goal.

3. Eddie Betts running into an open goal, pushed square in the back by Fletcher, kicks a point. Free kick not paid, point stands. Happened 2 metres from goal, if the free is paid it's a certain goal to Carlton.

Points gifted to Essendon: 17
Points gifted to Carlton: 0

its because yarran came off the bench when he tackled pears so they thought it was an unfair advantage but i still would of payed it.actully the whole game the umpires were s**t imo
'

No Offense, but that is not even a rule. It is called taking a mark, playing on, was tackled with prior opportunity and then incorrect disposal of the ball. Last time I checked the relevant rule was holding the ball or incorrect disposal of the ball.

Pears, took around five steps, more than enough time, had no awareness of the general surroundings, and ignorance is not an excuse, it won't even stand up in a court of law.

In thirty odd years of watching this great game, I am amazed that simple rules, that have always been a part of this game, are not applied correctly or interpreted wrong not only by umpires but also by fans. The problem lies in too many people making subjective decisions from own vantage point. Unfortunately this will never change because the game has moved on too quickly for just one umpire and the powers that be and media have hinted that more umpires not less is the way to go. Further adding to individual interpretations.

Anyways, have rambled on enough, umpiring was/is terrible, but so were we, kicking effeciency killed us all night, kicking at goal in first quarter was disgraceful.

There is always next week to make amends and improve. Win, lose or draw.

Cheers

its because yarran came off the bench when he tackled pears so they thought it was an unfair advantage but i still would of payed it.actully the whole game the umpires were s**t imo

No disrespect, but I remember a carlton player from the backline clearing a kick to the wing near the boundary, and just as he kicked it an Essendon player came on from the interchange and basically the ball went straight to him

Is that an unfair advantage? Should Carlton get the ball back?

Never heard of such a rule.

Also, these discussions over the umpires don't mean much because at day's end Essendon were the better team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back