Roast umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Not being petty - just being correct.

I bag the umpires as much as the next bloke (you want to sit next to me at the football and find out:eek: ) in fact most of them are prancing, prima donnas who want to be part of the action rather than just melting into the background.

But if we are going to be critical of the umpires and abuse them for not know the rules lets at least know the rules ourselves.

Calling for "Dropping the Ball" is something we should forget from our schoolyard days in the 2nd Grade.

If you are playing football you can stand in the field of play and pick the ball up and drop it to the ground as many times as you like and the umpire wont penalize you for "Dropping the Ball" - he actually cant because their is no such rule, in fact when you are bouncing the ball you are "dropping it" but the umpire does not penalize you for "Dropping the Ball".

The holding the ball rule comes into play when you are caught in possession with the ball and fail to either kick it or handball it.

Nah, when you're bouncing the ball you're not dropping it, you're throwing it towards the ground, there is a difference. If you were dropping it you wouldn't be propelling it in a downwards motion.

If we are going to be critical of others, lets get the terminology right.

:eek:

I repeat there is no such rule as "dropping the ball" - there never has been - it is "holding the ball".;)

Holding the Football – Prior Opportunity/No Prior Opportunity

Where the field Umpire is satisfied that a Player in possession of the football:
(a) has had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if the Player does not Kick or Handball the football immediately when he or she is Correctly Tackled; or
(b) has not had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if, upon being Correctly Tackled, the Player does not Correctly Dispose or attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football after being given a reasonable opportunity to do so.

Dropping the ball

You are correct... there is no actual rule for dropping the ball, but it is covered by the holding the ball rule. An umpire can give a free for an incorrect disposal as part of the holding the ball rule if the player when tackled has prior opportunity to dispose of the ball in a legal fashion but just drops the ball.

They just used to call it dropping the ball when I was playing as a kid :)

I'm still waiting for someone to show me the written rule that says kicking a correct drop kick while being tackled is a free kick for incorrect disposal.

It should not be a free because by it IS a disposal - a drop kick.

It is not a drop then a kick later, which would be incorrect disposal. It is a drop and kick in the one motion - a drop kick.

"They" being the kids in the schoolyard and the nuffies in the outer. Never was a dropping the ball rule in "the old days" either. ;)

'They' being the umpires used in the inter-school football matches I used to play in.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me the written rule that says kicking a correct drop kick while being tackled is a free kick for incorrect disposal.

It is not a drop then a kick later, which would be incorrect disposal. It is a drop and kick in the one motion - a drop kick.

the ball was dropped in the tackle, hit the ground and then he kicked it away (and it just happened to go through the goals)

Once the ball hits the ground it becomes incorrect disposal and holding the ball.

You want to take your chances with a drop kick in that situation then that is the chance the player takes.

Yes a drop kick is a legitimate kick (and an Essendon Supporter :p ) but it involves striking the ground first then making contact with the foot.

Correct decision in this instance is "Holding the Ball".

I am pretty sure everyone has a poorer understanding of the rules after watching the game on Saturday night.

Players and coaches are held accountable for their performance, as is pretty much everyone else in football, why aren't the umpires?

I am not advocating an all out attack but a representative from each club (maybe the captain) should be able to speak freely about umpiring decisions in a considered manner, without the fear of being penalised by the AFL.

If nothing else, it gives a voice to the concerns and frustrations of the millions of fans who pay their hard earned to keep this business running, but cannot hold the people that can have the most direct influence on it accountable.

It may also be very frustrating for umpires who probably would like to be able to explain decisions they have made instead of having to silently cop the beating they get from all quarters. This would lead to greater understanding and perhaps more respect for the worst job in the game.

why do we always get the raw end of the umpiring stick every time we play essendon?:mad:

lets not turn into collingwood suporters and complain about umpires

we kicked it out on the full i think 8 times and didnt want to win

better luck this week juddys back and hopfully back in the 8 this w/e

The wait is over. The AFL have ruled that holding the ball in that case was the correct decision: 'THE controversial decision to disallow Sam Lonergan's drop-kick goal against Carlton on Saturday night has been upheld by the AFL. The young Bomber drop-kicked the ball through the goals after Carlton's Dennis Armfield had grabbed him in a flying tackle, with the umpire labelling it incorrect disposal. But Gieschen said yesterday a similar example had been on the 2009 Laws of the Game DVD to clubs, with the rules clear that players cannot drop-kick while being tackled.'

The rest of the article also writes about how Carlton received the rough end of the stick in two other decisions. No consolation really though for what was a terrible performance by the Blues.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ouch-differently/story-e6frf9jf-1225853524967

The rest of the article also writes about how Carlton received the rough end of the stick in two other decisions. No consolation really though for what was a terrible performance by the Blues.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ouch-differently/story-e6frf9jf-1225853524967

Gieschen said the play-on call when Carlton's Chris Yarran came off the interchange to strip Tayte Pears of the ball was wrong, with the umpire blindsighted, while Blues defender Jordan Russell should not have been penalised for interfering with Heath Hocking on the goal-line, costing Carlton a goal.

:mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring back "What's Your Decision" and publicly humiliate these clowns even more.

Hmmm my decision for the Umps is...

Javier.jpg

Being an umpire is like owning a ute.

Your not allow to be/own one unless you are a massive tool!

Link
Gieschen said the play-on call when Carlton's Chris Yarran came off the interchange to strip Tayte Pears of the ball was wrong, with the umpire blindsighted, while Blues defender Jordan Russell should not have been penalised for interfering with Heath Hocking on the goal-line, costing Carlton a goal.
Link

Cue Matthews, Barassi or some old fart with the argument we need a fourth munchkin to get it right.

The Russell, Waite and Yarran decisions were pathetic.

None of that explains our lack of skill and leadership last Saturday.

Both sides were equally crap...Stanton and NLM kicked floaters for points from 35 out...

What Lonergan did was a drop kick. A drop kick is still an effective disposal i.e. it hasn't been banned yet.

According to footy Classifieds while being tackle a drop kick isn't allowed.

They called the umpires to confirms this and this is the rule. It wasn't a goal and Carlton still got screwed by the umpires!

We still played crap but who knows what could of happened with an extra goal from Eddie's in the back and 2 less Essendon goals from bull sh*t Essendon free's! Shitty shitty umpiring!

The wait is over. The AFL have ruled that holding the ball in that case was the correct decision: 'THE controversial decision to disallow Sam Lonergan's drop-kick goal against Carlton on Saturday night has been upheld by the AFL. The young Bomber drop-kicked the ball through the goals after Carlton's Dennis Armfield had grabbed him in a flying tackle, with the umpire labelling it incorrect disposal. But Gieschen said yesterday a similar example had been on the 2009 Laws of the Game DVD to clubs, with the rules clear that players cannot drop-kick while being tackled.'

:thumbsu: Nice work. Thanks.

We still played crap but who knows what could of happened with an extra goal from Eddie's in the back and 2 less Essendon goals from bull sh*t Essendon free's! Shitty shitty umpiring!

Geelong have won two flags and dominated three seasons on the back of umpiring decisions!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back