Umpiring decisions review

Remove this Banner Ad

rexj

Rookie
Sep 28, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Now that the grand final is all over and I'm sure we've all watched replays it would be interesting to see where the umpires missed free kicks or made errors. It was balanced in the end but just to appease anyone who thought it was biased for the eagles anyone got any? For me, that last bounce clearly went straight to the Collingwood ruckman but wasn't replayed. That could have been very costly. Also McGovern tackled and when trying to kick dropped the ball - that was a clear free against him.

I felt at HT we were stiffed on a few HTBs not paid against them when they were very hot on those calls the other way. And a couple of high tackles paid against us when similar were let go when they tackled us.
But probably just my bias as the umpires were pretty good on the whole. It does s**t me that the leniency shown in GFs (which is great) is so inconsistent with the rest of the season.

Shuey coathangered by Cox, play on

Howe clear drag back in & HTB

Shuey got Sier stone cold HTB but it appeared to be not paid (couldn't make out from the coverage any umpire's call of HTB or play on to advantage, as the ball spilled out to us)

They were very lax with some centres bounce drifiting out of the circle & not recalling it

Cripps missed 50m

Jk tackle before HT

Shuey taken high

Poor ruck bounces

Howe holding Darling

Howe dragging the ball back in

Shuey tackle not rewarded

Rioli tackle on Howe (shouldn't have been paid but Shuey got called after taking a ball straight from the ruck tap, this was worse)

JK getting ridden with the hardest in the back you'll see in a long time and no whistle

Honestly, Collingwood got a ride, but they missed some the other way as well. These are just off the top of my head, there's probably a bunch that were missed for us, then a bunch that were missed for the Pies, we got given less but that's fine. The last call of the game was a good call, Maynard ****ed it up and went seeking help from the umpire. He had no right to complain.

Ling almost ruined that broadcast, what an absolute *******.

I’m happy you posted this because I’ve actually spent the last few days rewatching the game a couple of times for this very reason. I think I’ve come up with a pretty fair and balanced list.

2018 flags won:
West Coast - 1
All other clubs - 0

Four free kicks in the last quarter ….

After the Sheed goal Umpire's bad bounce favours Grundy not recalled , Eagles manage another clearance ..Cripps to Kennedy to Sheed who cops a high tackle no free kick . Darling drops a sitter massive panic attacks from all Eagles fans ball ends up with Howe in goal square who is caught holding the ball no free kick ends up a point . Maynard completely stuffs his kick in lobs on Shueys chest game over .

Thought it was pretty standard GF umpiring for better or worse - lots of play on calls, and effort only rewarded when it was above and beyond the already high pace of the game.

Where was the 50m penalty for Cripps for the Pie running through the protected zone just inside the defensive 50 in the last. The most blatant infringement for that rule this year and not paid.

Just sayin... it went both ways all day.

Goldsack launched himself into Darling’s back with no intention of going for the ball in the Dom Sheed pocket in a marking contest. Ball hits the ground as a result of that contest and JK tackles a Pie (Sier?) and pins the arm, ball dropped; play on called. That passage stood out to me as a couple in a row missed for us.

Mind you Jetta very lucky not to be pinged for HTB on the Collingwood forward flank by Varcoe. As most posters are saying the umpires missed some both ways. Overall thought the standard of umpiring was quite reasonable.

Last edited:
Not sure as the camera angle wasn't the best, but I thought there might have been a 50 meter missed for Ryan with 2 minutes left (in the play the resulted in Sheed getting the goal).

I just remember after the mark the Collingwood guy had the ball in his hands, but the camera then cut to another angle and it seems Ryan picked it up off the ground. If he dropped the ball, rather than returning it, is an automatic 50.

It could have been the camera angle though. Maybe not as bad as it looked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shuey coathangered by Cox, play on

Howe clear drag back in & HTB

Shuey got Sier stone cold HTB but it appeared to be not paid (couldn't make out from the coverage any umpire's call of HTB or play on to advantage, as the ball spilled out to us)

They were very lax with some centres bounce drifiting out of the circle & not recalling it
consistantly lax - is that right to ignore the laws because it is a GF? - or is it better? If so why not all year.

Pretty dumb to my mind.

Holding the balls were given one way only after quarter time (we got that degoey one which didn't even matter because we already had the ball). In reply to OP Mcgovern was not tackled or *ed, he was pushed, so play on was the correct call. So many holding the balls not given to us during the game. Yet we got pinged on a number of occasions (redden and the 2nd shuey one I feel were wrong). Howe took on Rioli in the goal square in the last, dragged it back in in the 2nd. I would love to see the stats of HTB decision For and Against over the year as I feel we have been shafted all year with that decision.

Brody Mihocek on a number of occasions pushes McGovern while he is in the act of marking with his hands, he dropped the mark and they got a couple of goals out of it.

All the hoo haa about the Rioli one, watched it many times. Maynard holds rioli by the shoulders and at no time is attempting to get to the ball (he has 2 players to cover and covers the wrong one and doesn't get near the ball), play on was the correct call. Watch Rioli play he continually protects the drop of the ball, the commentators actually called him doing it in the 2nd quarter and had no problems with it, take sheed away from that and Rioli could possibly have run on to the loose ball after making room for himself.

The umpiring was quite good on the weekend but it was coming from a low base as it was shocking in our other finals IMO. AT least it wasn't as biased as the previous 2 years where Adelaide and Sydney were crucified , the non calls with below the leg contact on 2 occasions cost Sydney dearly when the game was up for grabs(Hanneberry nearly had his leg broken by Wood)

Cripps missed 50m

Jk tackle before HT

Shuey taken high

Poor ruck bounces

Howe holding Darling

Howe dragging the ball back in

Shuey tackle not rewarded

Rioli tackle on Howe (shouldn't have been paid but Shuey got called after taking a ball straight from the ruck tap, this was worse)

JK getting ridden with the hardest in the back you'll see in a long time and no whistle

Honestly, Collingwood got a ride, but they missed some the other way as well. These are just off the top of my head, there's probably a bunch that were missed for us, then a bunch that were missed for the Pies, we got given less but that's fine. The last call of the game was a good call, Maynard ****** it up and went seeking help from the umpire. He had no right to complain.

Ling almost ruined that broadcast, what an absolute *******.

Alright how about in the 4th quarter in the last minute of play when Howe took possession of the ball and took Rioli on?

Rioli nailed him with the tackle in the goal square and it should have been holding the ball with a shot on goal. It was clear the Howe had prior opportunity

And what about the deliberate rushed behind by Steele Sideebottom from the preceding ball up? LeCras tackled him over the line but why wasn't that called a deliberate rush behind?

West Coast won, but I was more annoyed with the non-decisions. The 2nd quarter incident where Howe dived on the ball in the goal Square and pulled the ball in was the most glaring of the non-decisions.

That missed 50m against Greenwood in the last few minutes gets worse every time I watch the replay. But then we don't get the Gov-Vardy-Ryan-Sheed match winning sequence, so I can live with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back