Roast Umpiring in 2020 & the NMFC.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For me it’s also that most teams have a player or two that are genuinely treated differently than the majority of the league.

We don’t have one.

And don’t say Brown, he gets tunnelled, held or downright assaulted in every contest he’s in.
I doubt anyone has received more than Goldy this year and who knows wtf half of the ruck frees are about.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apparently we’ve received the most free kicks this year.

We all know that. But like any stat, it doesn’t tell the whole story, if any story at all.

The Simpkin non decision and the Macdonald decision are momentum swinging moments.

The op has merit in my opinion.
Much as those two decisions pissed me off you couldn't claim they killed our momentum in that match. The only real momentum we had ended when Jack sprayed the set shot that would have gotten us within 9 points and Port strolled down the ground and goaled from the kick in - no umpiring assistance required. The McDonald one was shite but no more a game changer than Mason's non mark in front of goal. The Rozee non free was pretty inconsequential and frankly what happens 9 times out of 10.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Much as those two decisions pissed me off you couldn't claim they killed our momentum in that match. The only real momentum we had ended when Jack sprayed the set shot that would have gotten us within 9 points and Port strolled down the ground and goaled from the kick in - no umpiring assistance required. The McDonald one was sh*te but no more a game changer than Mason's non mark in front of goal. The Rozee non free was pretty inconsequential and frankly what happens 9 times out of 10.

Why are you an apologist for systematic incompetence?

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What’s that got to do with NMFC?
I don't know but it's probably the most enjoyable footy moment i've seen today. I assume the poster is channelling Maxwell Smart because, if there's been a better throw, I'd like to see it.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
I have been a trainer of cricket umpires. Cricket is so much easier to umpire than footy. One example is that Cricket has a Law, not a rule, that keeps bowlers from running down the middle of the pitch and giving the umps an unrestricted view of what is going on.

Footy has the worst ump/player ratio of any major sport. There are lots of other things that makes footy so frustrating for us fans. I heard a few years ago that the umps get five out of six frees/decisions correct which I think is outstanding given the way footy is played.

I used to get reports from captains about the umpires from every game and I only took much notice of a captains report that stated that his team got all the decisions going their way and the only reason his side won was because of umpire mistakes.. Guess how many of those I got?

However the umpiring of footy will never not be a frustrating issue unless we stop play and use the TV to play replays ad nauseum.

When I got too old to play cricket I started to umpire cricket. When I retired from playing footy there was no way I would umpire footy.

So I understand Snakes frustration but I cannot see any way of making the game much more free of umpiring frustrations for us fans.

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
For me it’s also that most teams have a player or two that are genuinely treated differently than the majority of the league.

We don’t have one.

And don’t say Brown, he gets tunnelled, held or downright assaulted in every contest he’s in.

I would not agree with the bolded bit but Ben does claim that he was tunnelled, held, pushed in the back, etc every time he does not take a mark. All opposition supporters would support this.

But I think his continual complaining to the umps means he doesn't get the ones he should. I also think its a bad look for team morale. Next year I want him attacking the contest like he wants to get the ball and smash anyone in his way.

Back