Roast Umpiring in 2020 & the NMFC.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I would not agree with the bolded bit but Ben does claim that he was tunnelled, held, pushed in the back, etc every time he does not take a mark. All opposition supporters would support this.

But I think his continual complaining to the umps means he doesn't get the ones he should. I also think its a bad look for team morale. Next year I want him attacking the contest like he wants to get the ball and smash anyone in his way.

Why would your view of the NMFC & umpiring bias be worth the slightest pinch of s**t?

You follow a club that gets an arm chair ride off the campaigners. You wouldn't have a clue about any of this.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
So I understand Snakes frustration but I cannot see any way of making the game much more free of umpiring frustrations for us fans.

Slow the game down, and tell them to stop guessing.

You can tell you have no intrinsic understanding of the sport.

If u want to see the biggest bias of all time , would have to be probably the best game I have actually been at, the 94 Preliminary Final. And I think someone else mentioned it here Fitzroy v Crows last minute or 2 of the game.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If u want to see the biggest bias of all time , would have to be probably the best game I have actually been at, the 94 Preliminary Final. And I think someone else mentioned it here Fitzroy v Crows last minute or 2 of the game.

I watched one and was at the other, however for sustained bias nothing gets close to what we have copped this season.

Back then you had football commentators that called it too, but these whores now are far too interested in lying to maintain "product integrity".

We have always had to earn everything the hard way snake , it seems to be how its is, not saying it is right mind you. However, there has to be something fantastic about us we have been around for what, 151 years, that is a *ing long time for a Club written off about 100 times . I still believe we will overcome all this bullshit one day again and win our 5th Flag. Just wish it would hurry up.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
We have always had to earn everything the hard way snake , it seems to be how its is, not saying it is right mind you.

The gentrification of the Brayshaw administration and those that followed have destroyed the very culture which has sustained us through time.

It doesn't exist any more.

It's more important now that we're "socially responsible", rather than backs to the wall fighters.

Political parasites have killed our club.

Shinboner doesn't exist any more. It's a myth.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

This is not about the umpires even though it's a howler. It's about the way the AFL has insisted that umpires turn a blind eye to dubious handballs in order to keep the game moving.

When I learned to play football, Barry Cable was the gold standard. We were taught that you couldn't handball over your head, and you couldn't handball to the right of you with your right hand or to the left of you with your left hand - that would be deemed a flick pass. So many of today's dodgy handballs would have been called throws in the 70s and 80s. This s**t needs to stop.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is not about the umpires even though it's a howler. It's about the way the AFL has insisted that umpires turn a blind eye to dubious handballs in order to keep the game moving.

When I learned to play football, Barry Cable was the gold standard. We were taught that you couldn't handball over your head, and you couldn't handball to the right of you with your right hand or to the left of you with your left hand - that would be deemed a flick pass. So many of today's dodgy handballs would have been called throws in the 70s and 80s. This sh*t needs to stop.

They've actually changed the rules as to what constitutes a handball.

Not ageeing with it but these are now legal.

So I understand Snakes frustration but I cannot see any way of making the game much more free of umpiring frustrations for us fans.

It will always be harder than cricket but there are many ways to reduce frustration for fans:

- not changing rules and interpretations week to week and season to season
- removing rules wherever possible that require interpretation
- removing rules that are more likely to require 50/50 calls that don't impact spirit of the game
- reducing players on field
- having rules based on the games history and keeping the interpretations clear, rather than constantly muddying these rules in pursuit of a mystical perfect game
- not amending interpretations week to week based on whinges from coaches

When I learned to play football, Barry Cable was the gold standard. We were taught that you couldn't handball over your head, and you couldn't handball to the right of you with your right hand or to the left of you with your left hand - that would be deemed a flick pass. So many of today's dodgy handballs would have been called throws in the 70s and 80s. This sh*t needs to stop.
Here in lies the problem. You obviously missed the rule change. Umps don’t turn a blind eye, they umpire according to the rules. You no longer have to have a stationary hand holding them ball, the ball just needs to be propelled with some force by the fist.

so, you’re a little right in that it’s the AFLs fault and not the umpires, but not for the reason you state.

It’s just another subtle way the AFL is trying to reduce congestion, without looking at the root cause.

So people like Tef can bang on all they like about the umps, but all they are doing his highlighting their own ignorance.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Here in lies the problem. You obviously missed the rule change. Umps don’t turn a blind eye, they umpire according to the rules. You no longer have to have a stationary hand holding them ball, the ball just needs to be propelled with some force by the fist.

so, you’re a little right in that it’s the AFLs fault and not the umpires, but not for the reason you state.

It’s just another subtle way the AFL is trying to reduce congestion, without looking at the root cause.

So people like Tef can bang on all they like about the umps, but all they are doing his highlighting their own ignorance.

Yeah my point is though, the dreadful error that 3 umpires missed in this instance is because some peanut decided to change a rule that wasn't broken. If there is a clear rule on what constitutes a legal handball, then we wouldn't see players trying to fudge outright throws when it suits them, and umpires having to guess whether the ball was even slightly propelled by a fist.

Yeah my point is though, the dreadful error that 3 umpires missed in this instance is because some peanut decided to change a rule that wasn't broken. If there is a clear rule on what constitutes a legal handball, then we wouldn't see players trying to fudge outright throws when it suits them, and umpires having to guess whether the ball was even slightly propelled by a fist.
Yeah cause none has ever tried to fudge a handball before this year.

did you stop to think that maybe the umps couldn’t see the throw, so they didn’t guess. I haven’t seen the full footage, was there prior? Maybe the umps just made a mistake. You know what, sometimes that happens. The only person on this entire earth that never makes a mistake is Tef, so let’s give the umps a little but of slack now and then.

my view is, the game is being way over officiated so if the umps let a few things go then that’s good thing.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah cause none has ever tried to fudge a handball before this year.

did you stop to think that maybe the umps couldn’t see the throw, so they didn’t guess. I haven’t seen the full footage, was there prior? Maybe the umps just made a mistake. You know what, sometimes that happens. The only person on this entire earth that never makes a mistake is Tef, so let’s give the umps a little but of slack now and then.

my view is, the game is being way over officiated so if the umps let a few things go then that’s good thing.

This is not just a "this year" issue for me.

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
I just do see the angst. Football is so much faster now. Unless it’s a clear throw, who really cares? There’s way bigger issues than guys “shoveling” the ball with what could well be a handball.
The very foundation of the game is the need to dispose of the ball in a legal manner, with a kick or handball. It's fundamental to this sport we love. I'm not sure it should be trivialised.

The very foundation of the game is the need to dispose of the ball in a legal manner, with a kick or handball. It's fundamental to this sport we love. I'm not sure it should be trivialised.
But guys do it so quickly who can say if it’s a handball or a throw. Do you want the umpires guessing?

guys have thrown the ball from under a pack since the game was invented. Everyone that’s played knew that if you had your back to the ump you could get away with it. It’s not a big deal.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

You're debating the nuances of football with a dungeons & dragons aficionado.

He picks teams by their colors.

But guys do it so quickly who can say if it’s a handball or a throw. Do you want the umpires guessing?

guys have thrown the ball from under a pack since the game was invented. Everyone that’s played knew that if you had your back to the ump you could get away with it. It’s not a big deal.
Nowadays you’d have to have your back to all three umpires. It’s a very basic tenet of the game that is now being ignored. I’m not talking about the “too slick can’t tell” instances that are let go , it’s the blatant throws that are obvious that are the problem and I reckon there are a dozen or more every game I’ve seen and teams have scored goals from some of them.

Nowadays you’d have to have your back to all three umpires. It’s a very basic tenet of the game that is now being ignored. I’m not talking about the “too slick can’t tell” instances that are let go , it’s the blatant throws that are obvious that are the problem and I reckon there are a dozen or more every game I’ve seen and teams have scored goals from some of them.
Blatant to you when you’re looking from a high angle, less blatant when you have 10 players around the ball that are in your way.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

They have

to slow

the game

down

................all of contemporary footballs problems stem from this.

1) Kicks must go 25 metres forward of the mark or play on.
2) 10 x interchange per game.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Here's the thing. Kangatime argues that it's better that the umpires get some calls wrong and let some players get away with murder. Fair enough, but alternately, we could let the umpires get some calls wrong by punishing the "too slick" handball/throws and then maybe players will stop assuming that they can get away with murder.

Otherwise, let's just remove handballing and allow everyone to throw whenever they like. That of course eliminates all incorrect disposal when tackled free kicks and there will be no holding the ball.

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Here's the thing. Kangatime argues that it's better that the umpires get some calls wrong and let some players get away with murder. Fair enough, but alternately, we could let the umpires get some calls wrong by punishing the "too slick" handball/throws and then maybe players will stop assuming that they can get away with murder.

Otherwise, let's just remove handballing and allow everyone to throw whenever they like. That of course eliminates all incorrect disposal when tackled free kicks and there will be no holding the ball.
I like your thinking Jabba. We could make sure all 'handballs' can only go backwards. And if the players are forced to just push the ball out of contests, we could get rid of those ruck contests. Just got to do something with getting rid of the running bounce and those point posts. Could really see these innovations catching on, especially in the new NSW and Queensland heartlands. Exciting times for the next golden age of ARL AFL.

Back