Umpiring in Geelong Cats v West Coast Eagles

MickyG

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
So head office wanted the Cats out? See how they go next week to confirm!

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Umpires had a mare.
1 way traffic for Q2 and a bit of Q3. Felt guilty to be up at 3QTR tbh.

Why did they pick one of the last games of the year to start enforcing illegal blocking by defenders? Theyve literally never call those (while i agree with all the calls on those tonight, its really stiff to pick one out of big packs when both sides are infringing).

Next week will be interesting cause thats richmonds defense in a nutshell.

To umps credit they evened up the inconcsistencies by being completely inconsistent in Geelongs favour in q4 to make the eventual result fair.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
9-1 run of frees highlighted by all and sundry. No focus on the fact that good 8 of them were blatant.

12-6 turnaround, silence.

Hawkins shoves McGovern in the back, 'marks' a ball touched by 3 hands, goal.
Stewart collects Yeo in the head, nothing, inside 50, goal.
Ryan not tackled, ball punched out of his hands, holding the ball, inside 50, not sure if goal.
Etc.

And this game is supposedly a free ride to us.

Staggeringly inept coverage we are subjected to.

Shut up.

You were gifted a ride into a game you had no right to be in.

funk44

Skookum Choocher
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Thread started by moderator with game day posts.

Enjoy the win and convince yourself you weren't gifted goals if it makes you feel better.

Geelong were better tonight, but if you think a lot better but held back by the umpires you'll be in for a rude shock next week m
Lay off the sodium mate. It'll * your arteries

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
i just want to know if they test the umpires for colour blindness? selwood was covered in blood for half the game but didnt seem to get sent off.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
That was some of the worst one-sided umpiring I've seen this year. It's as if the umps got direction to stop paying Geelong any free kicks after the blowout. Happened when it looked like Geelong were going to smash them by 60 points. Lucky Geelong won it in the end or the AFL would have a bunch to answer for.

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
That was some of the worst one-sided umpiring I've seen this year. It's as if the umps got direction to stop paying Geelong any free kicks after the blowout. Happened when it looked like Geelong were going to smash them by 60 points. Lucky Geelong won it in the end or the AFL would have a bunch to answer for.

Geelong had the commentators, Eagles had the umpires...all balanced out in the end.

EagleEgo

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The Eagles have adopted the brand of "non-contacted", "non-cotested" football style. We intercepted ball but not ball carriers. Hence less chance of committing foul and higher chance of getting free-kick.
I was surprised, a few of the free kicks did not go the WCE‘s way including the hit on Schofield (by Hawkins) off the ball. One of the empires did notice the hit, but failed to blow his whistle.

Last edited:
Next week will be interesting cause thats richmonds defense in a nutshell.
Yeah, we defintely are one of the better exponents of the block. Will be interesting to see how they adjudicate next week. Odds on it will be a pundit talking point this week.

I thought the game wasnt umpired too badly last night. At least they let it flow. McLovin seemed to get a good run of frees in the 2nd, but it evened up somewhat in the third.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Yeah, we defintely are one of the better exponents of the block. Will be interesting to see how they adjudicate next week. Odds on it will be a pundit talking point this week.

I thought the game wasnt umpired too badly last night. At least they let it flow. McLovin seemed to get a good run of frees in the 2nd, but it evened up somewhat in the third.

Sam Menegola didn't think so when he got a 50 given for Hickey dropping the ball. Umpiring was deplorable for 2 quarters, favouring West Coast. Was then favoured towards us in the last quarter, a couple of times. Still overwhelmingly in the Eagle's favour though

RustNeverSleeps

All Australian
Jan 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

There must have been at least half a dozen HTB frees paid against the Cats where the player was wrapped up immediately on gaining possession with clearly no prior. Eagles were never pinged for similar instances.

In fact in stark contrast they were allowed an inexplicable amount of time when tackled to dispose of it ineffectively without penalty.

This dreadful umpiring certainly gave the Eagles some impetus and was a catalyst in their revival in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Once the Eagles frees dried up, so did their ability to compete.

Jez1974

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Something's rotten when the free kick differential over the past 15 years reads:

WCE +919
North +472
Carl +322

How can WCE get so many more free for than every other team?
Play in front first to the ball, tackle hard. There's some possible answers

Back