Kipz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2008
Zor*n's tissue pile
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gooners
2. You can’t sit there and tell us the holding the man one and too high one were “shockers” we see them every week. If it happened in another game, you wouldn’t be saying a word.

View attachment 1221110
This is a great still shot of the Selwood technique. Use your arm to make sure the tackling players arm ends up around your neck area, drop your body down and its happy days when the whistle blows

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
As already posted, with the rule link, if you drop at the knees and/or shrug to cause a tacklers arm to go high it is play on.
whether you like it or not, agree or not, it is the RULE.
what is infuriating about it and causes threads like this to go this way is the typical umpiring inconsistency.
If Toby Greene does it it's play one, Weightman free kick.
Not just this rule either, pretty much any rule which relies on interpretation can be interpreted differently even in the same game.
Geez even something as obvious as out of bounds can be let go because the ump hesitates then it's too late so they just let it go.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
As already posted, with the rule link, if you drop at the knees and/or shrug to cause a tacklers arm to go high it is play on.
whether you like it or not, agree or not, it is the RULE.
what is infuriating about it and causes threads like this to go this way is the typical umpiring inconsistency.
If Toby Greene does it it's play one, Weightman free kick.
Not just this rule either, pretty much any rule which relies on interpretation can be interpreted differently even in the same game.
Geez even something as obvious as out of bounds can be let go because the ump hesitates then it's too late so they just let it go.

No problem, the rule is the rule. Then never ever say the head is sacrosanct if the AFL will not protect it.

I liked the bit where the umpire missed the jumper hold a few seconds before that last Cody Weightman goal.
If the umpires were doing their job he would have had an easier shot on goal than the boundary kick he had.

The Draper free should have been a play on, he probably got more hair than he did skull.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Fox sports stating at least 3 of the 4 frees were fair calls by the umpires.
As to the rest of this article when all is said and done it really is just a game.

The main point of the article is horrible but I’m not sure a random journalist saying 3 of the 4 free kicks appeared to be there is meaningful at all.

I’ve already said I don’t think they affected the result but I don’t really know how anyone who watches football would want those frees paid or how anyone could think those decisions were in line with how other contests were officiated throughout the game.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ryan Gardner fined for his block on Francis 😂.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I always hate seeing goals from free-kicks, even if the team I'm barracking for gets them, and they're there. Award 3pts only for free-kick goals; if players are staging for them, it reduces their incentive to do it.

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
I always hate seeing goals from free-kicks, even if the team I'm barracking for gets them, and they're there. Award 3pts only for free-kick goals; if players are staging for them, it reduces their incentive to do it.

3 points for a goal from a free?

So a team 5 points down with 30 sets to go kicks long into forward 50 - I know what I would do as a defender - I grab my opponents jumper and pull it off his back and concede a free. Game won.

Silly idea, think it through first.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Fox sports stating at least 3 of the 4 frees were fair calls by the umpires.
As to the rest of this article when all is said and done it really is just a game.
3 points for a goal from a free?

So a team 5 points down with 30 sets to go kicks long into forward 50 - I know what I would do as a defender - I grab my opponents jumper and pull it off his back and concede a free. Game won.

Silly idea, think it through first.
What if you're 8 points down?

cherrypie

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He should of stood up dead straight for the poor bloke tackling. These poor tacklers now having to actually tackle correctly is just not fair. They should be rewarded for ripping the head off their opponent.
FFS Weightman has the ball, tackle lower. I am fed up with head high tackles being layed the blame of the bloke with the ball. The bloke with the ball other than ducking his head can wriggle, drop and do as he pleases. The tackler cannot get him high. Why is this so complicated now.
C'mon mate, no need to blame the tackler for tackling high, Weightman needed to grow so his neck wasn't taken off

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Umpires for this game need to be sacked and never seen again. Football is a contact sport. Anyone who doesn’t understand it needs to move along. Terrible decisions and no real justification for it. Ruined a good game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 30, 2003
Melbourne western region
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs / Willy / Palace
What if you're 8 points down?

Nothing would change, the defending team will defend without a need / or incentive to deliberately concede a free.

Highly unlikely the defending team would lose from that position (8 points up, 30 seconds to go). Huge incentive though if only 4 or 5 points up. That would be farcical but I would be screaming for the Dogs to concede a free. Silly rules create silly outcomes.

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
Dogs get favoured by umpires.

No, there isn’t any corruption in the game.

No, all umpires don’t barrack for the dogs.

Kinda running outta reasons for umpires to purposely favour us.

Find us a good reason behind it or please kindly shut up.
We dont infringe as much?
Wait, sorry, thats not how you play this game is it?

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Umpires didn't effect the result. Dogs are seasoned team and were always going to come good sooner or later.
Our second half was horrid, arguably the worst we've played all year. End of story.
Only positive for us was Parish. Pretty much the only thing I can take out of that.
Drapers good too
Dons on the improve, signs are good

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Haha I need to stay away from these threads mate.. I lost plot yesterday on the main board thread about free kicks. Drived me nuts
Same. Ive started agreeing with them at times, saying yes weve been paying off the entire AFL for years now. People who rely on the utterly useless frees paid stat dont have enough brain cells to rub together to have a rational discussion with, so IM starting to play with them now.

Absolutely disgusted with the gutless bummer dweebs who attacked Cody on his socials though. That club should totally do/say something. Hes a 20 year old kid FFS.

Back