Umpiring Umpiring in the Bulldogs/Bombers Final 2021

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Same. Ive started agreeing with them at times, saying yes weve been paying off the entire AFL for years now. People who rely on the utterly useless frees paid stat dont have enough brain cells to rub together to have a rational discussion with, so IM starting to play with them now.

Absolutely disgusted with the gutless bummer dweebs who attacked Cody on his socials though. That club should totally do/say something. Hes a 20 year old kid FFS.

You’ll never be able to win. May as well ignore it. The conversation started at we get too many free kicks, we duck and flop for free kicks.. then they found out we don’t actually lead the competition for frees for.. then it turns to degree of flopping then to 2016 flag being cheated. It’s boring and uneducated. I should have known better.

Ryan Gardner fined for his block on Francis 😂.
Speaking of flopping.

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
4 frees. 1 awful, Draper one stiff as and 2 of them there.
Then we kicked 8 straight in a second half we played much better in.
Dons are on the right path.
End of thread.
neutral fans would agree, the trend continued in FIRST WEEK of finals
240302135_869666257277258_1567201130628520119_n.jpg

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Most Bulldogs fans have agreed we are significantly less on frees against. What’s your point? Adelaide, Port and Brisbane all get given more and Geelong basically the same.

I’ll answer his next post for him to save him the trouble.. “ahhh yeah but you guys drop the ball and throw the ball more and ahhh it doesn’t get paid like it does for other clubs..”

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
I’ll answer his next post for him to save him the trouble.. “ahhh yeah but you guys drop the ball and throw the ball more and ahhh it doesn’t get paid like it does for other clubs..”
not interested in your denial that you are the most looked after team in the comp, my post was just a shout out to the neutral fans that top 2 in frees for and for differentials got another big ride at the expense of port and dons.... other games barely a ripple of complaints.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
not interested in your denial that you are the most looked after team in the comp, my post was just a shout out to the neutral fans that top 2 in frees for and for differentials got another big ride at the expense of port and dons.... other games barely a ripple of complaints.

Bored already

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol, shows a poorly contextualized freeze frame of the easiest to sell of the 4 shockers. But, omits the other 3 without justification? How were the other two "there"? Draper was "stiff"? I am interested to hear you try and legitmise these?

Ok, you did watch the video of tackle right? The tackle was perfectly fine and went above the shoulder after, He dropped his weight to try and duck the tackle. Just playing for a free kicks..... as is the bulldog way.

Except he didnt have the ball. It didnt matter how high or how much ducking, he was tackled to the ground without the ball.

The other 3 were very soft but umpires pay them all the time.

There are a heap of players who drop the knee and raise the arm. The rules say its not a free but umpires dont seem to care and just pay them all.

An Essendon player was doing the same thing. Tackled around the waist but threw his head in to the tackler and got a free.

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
Most Bulldogs fans have agreed we are significantly less on frees against. What’s your point? Adelaide, Port and Brisbane all get given more and Geelong basically the same.
Correct. As stated continuously we give less away. More disciplined. Its the most useless meaningless stat in footy. Richmond at the bottom because they deliberately give frees away to stop fast breaks? Lets them reset? Tactics.

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
neutral fans would agree, the trend continued in FIRST WEEK of finals
View attachment 1223594
Has anybody else run the numbers? Excel is trying to tell me that there have been exactly the same number of frees for and against through the entire season if these raw numbers are correct. Thats statistically improbably (to say the least). I was looking to average out frees for and frees against and both came out at 427.83, then I added the totals and sure enough 7701 in each column

Surely not!

Whats the source for this table?

Sep 14, 2003
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
LA Angels, Maple Leafs
As someone who has followed both the VFL/AFL and the NFL for many decades, I am still amazed by the culture differences between American football fans and Aussie footy fans.

In the NFL, teams that give away the fewest penalties, and receive the most, are celebrated as well coached and well disciplined, playing the game in the right way. Teams like the Raiders who give away the most penalties are ridiculed for costing themselves wins all the time.

In the AFL, the team (Western Bulldogs) that is the most disciplined, giving away the least and receiving the most free kicks are seen as cheats who are unfairly favored by the umpires and the competition, and gifted wins and premierships.

All I know for sure is that having umpired a few junior footy games, Aussie rules is unbelievably difficult to umpire, and I have incredibly high appreciation and respect for the thankless job they do.

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
As someone who has followed both the VFL/AFL and the NFL for many decades, I am still amazed by the culture differences between American football fans and Aussie footy fans.

In the NFL, teams that give away the fewest penalties, and receive the most, are celebrated as well coached and well disciplined, playing the game in the right way. Teams like the Raiders who give away the most penalties are ridiculed for costing themselves wins all the time.

In the AFL, the team (Western Bulldogs) that is the most disciplined, giving away the least and receiving the most free kicks are seen as cheats who are unfairly favored by the umpires and the competition, and gifted wins and premierships.

All I know for sure is that having umpired a few junior footy games, Aussie rules is unbelievably difficult to umpire, and I have incredibly high appreciation and respect for the thankless job they do.

You've answered your own question.

NFL is very black and white. AFL isn't.

Almost every decision made in an AFL game could go one way or the other.

That's why the AFL can come out and say on the Monday that the umpires got everything correct. Regardless of the decision, they can make a case either way.

And that's one of the reasons why it's so curious that the Bulldogs have dominated the free kick differential for 6 years. How can you get the rub of the green for so long?

It's not just frees for or frees against either, but a blend of both over that time.

It's not discipline. That's nonsense and makes no sense. Umpires and the AFL cheating doesn't add up, and it's also not because they're a good team - as They've been ordinary and still dominated the count.

There's no Doubt they get plenty from staging and ducking, but most teams do this. Not as much as the Dogs, but it still doesn't completely explain the long term discrepancy.

One thing is for certain, it's a fact that can't be denied - they get an amazing run from the umpires.

The mystery re.ians though, as to why.

Back