Umpiring in the Grand Final...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
when you take out the play on advantage frees, it's 15-7. when you take out the 2 in the last minute when the game was over, it's 13-7.

If the game goes any longer, we win by much more. Swans couldn't move at the end. Our boys were ready for another quarter of footy.

The clay smith free was 100% there too. They didn't show the proper angle of it on ch7.

McLean head high against jack - no significant impact

You lose all credibility when you say there was no significant impact from this non-call. Instead of a Swans inside fifty the resulting 50m penalty gives the Dogs a favourable field position up the ground and they subsequently goal from it.

You might think it's stupid and I might agree with you, but none of that is the point. It's been umpired one way all year and it was umpired a different way in this game. If the rule didn't exist Hannebery could have slid in for the ball too, rather than trying to legally pick up the ball and getting chopped in half.
Fair comment.

The inconsistent approach is a blight on the game. Every year we have:

1. Ridiculous 'rules of the week' for the first few rounds
2. Fairly settled rules for the remainder of home and away
3. Suddenly completely different umpiring for finals

Every single year everyone says that the finals style umpiring is infinitely preferable. No idea why they can't just implement this all year long.

Clay Smith loses his balance and his head brushes Hannebery on the way through. Hanners wasn't even attempting a tackle. How is that a free kick?
Very soft, but it was there. Unlucky for you.

Buddy pulled the ball in and got paid a free against us, lucky for you.

Swings and Roundabouts.

when you take out the play on advantage frees, it's 15-7. when you take out the 2 in the last minute when the game was over, it's 13-7.

If the game goes any longer, we win by much more. Swans couldn't move at the end. Our boys were ready for another quarter of footy.

The clay smith free was 100% there too. They didn't show the proper angle of it on ch7.
Obviously that theory is ignoring all the non-calls that the Swans fans were upset about.

We can sit around and talk about how it was the most lopsided free kick count ever in a GF, or how the Swans were statistically the most ill-disciplined side ever in a GF in terms of FK differential... but none of it matters anymore.

The Bulldogs were very deserved winners after putting together one of the most complete finals series performances ever. Sydney got sucked in to playing the Dogs game and went much too defensive too early, then struggled to get the ball out of defense and missed targets all afternoon. The umpires didn't force us to repeatedly bomb the ball long on to the head of Papley and McGlynn who were easily outmarked by taller defenders. Yes the umps were poor, but Sunday's paper said the Dogs won and that's all there is to it.

The overall free kick count in the prelim and GF was 43-21 in the Bulldogs favour, that's over twice as many free kicks in two close hard fought finals.

That's a pretty staggering statistic whichever way you dice it.
Clearly our team is doing something right/better in the eyes of those who count. The Umpires.
This has been consistent all year so making an issue of it from Saturday is a nonsense. Clearly we are, and have been consistently, doing something right. Other teams will no doubt attempt to emulate us next year.

Fair comment.

The inconsistent approach is a blight on the game. Every year we have:

1. Ridiculous 'rules of the week' for the first few rounds
2. Fairly settled rules for the remainder of home and away
3. Suddenly completely different umpiring for finals

Every single year everyone says that the finals style umpiring is infinitely preferable. No idea why they can't just implement this all year long.
I agree - the difference between the rules for Round 4 or 5 and the rules in the GF is enormous.

Personally I think the finals umpiring needs to be a little stronger in terms of rewarding the tacklers. Too often the umps let it go in the hope the ball will eventually come out, to the detriment of teams who tackle well. But overall I like the way they let the silly little technical frees go, like if a defender breathes the wrong way over the mark and it has zero impact on the play.

I agree - the difference between the rules for Round 4 or 5 and the rules in the GF is enormous.

Personally I think the finals umpiring needs to be a little stronger in terms of rewarding the tacklers. Too often the umps let it go in the hope the ball will eventually come out, to the detriment of teams who tackle well. But overall I like the way they let the silly little technical frees go, like if a defender breathes the wrong way over the mark and it has zero impact on the play.
Clarko agreed with you re the tackles

Analysis of GF free kicks

FREES - inclusive of 50 meter penalties
Swans 10 v Bulldogs 21

Advantage calls where decision had no impact on play
Swans 1 v Bulldogs 4

50 meters penalty
Swans 2 v Bulldogs 2

Clear mark interference decision - ball was marked anyway
Swans 1 v Bulldog 4

Balance of Frees
Swans 6 v Bulldogs 11

After the last goal by Picken game is over - dogs killing time and receive 2 clumsy junk time free kicks to hunter and McLean for head high

Balance of Relevant frees prior to junk time
Swans 6 v Bulldogs 9

Clanger decisions
Swans 2
against Rampe HTB resulted in soft free kick to Clay and goal
McLean head high against jack - no significant impact
Bulldogs 1
no call Parker jumps into Woods back in marking contest no contact with ball - Kennedy crumbs his second goal Q2

Controversy leg contact
Wood on Hannebery - simultaneous - wood is first to the ball and contact is above knee
Morris on ??? - first to the ball contact above the knee

Finally
4 th quarter the swans win the free kick count but it's their worst quarter on the score board
Swans 2.2.14 v 4.4.28

And just for kicks - after watching the game against - if josh Kennedy is not BOG then Jackson Macrae was and should have won the Norm Smith - 33 posies, 2 goal assists, 10 score involvements, 14 contest possessions, 4 clearances.

Nice post.

Macrae was magnificent, especially in the second half. He would have been in the top few players alongside Picken, JJ, Boyd and Morris.

Probably about right.

I've always liked the idea of a 'no harm, no foul' approach, i.e., an infringement should only result in a free kick if, in the umpire's opinion, it actually affected the play. So incidentally putting a finger on another player's head, play on. Forcefully knocking the head, free kick. Etc.

Clearly our team is doing something right/better in the eyes of those who count. The Umpires.
This has been consistent all year so making an issue of it from Saturday is a nonsense. Clearly we are, and have been consistently, doing something right. Other teams will no doubt attempt to emulate us next year.

I'm not sure it is just the Bulldogs style of play that has seen them doing so well with the free kick differentials this year, the umpires seem to umpire some teams differently too.

I don't think St Kilda's playing style is all that different to the Bulldogs yet we got the least amount of free kicks this year and the Bulldogs got the most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure it is just the Bulldogs style of play that has seen them doing so well with the free kick differentials this year, the umpires seem to umpire some teams differently too.

I don't think St Kilda's playing style is all that different to the Bulldogs yet we got the least amount of free kicks this year and the Bulldogs got the most.

the umpires hate you because of your relentless whinging and whining about them on here

Not one of those tackles that people are complaining about on Buddy deserved to be rewarded, he was strong enough to stay standing, get his arms free, and pass it off. A tackle actually has to seriously hinder the player rather than just inconvenience him.

That wouldn't surprise me given how precious and unprofessional the umpires are these days.

I think part of the problem is that they are not full time professionals. All clubs need to push for the umpires to become full time professionals so we can avoid the fiascoes that we see all too often (or at least reduce them). I'd also have coaches and players rating umpires anonymously and the highest rated getting the big games.

AFL is such a dynamic game that I don't think making umps full time will actually help. They definitely need a few meet ups a year though, clinics and reviews as a group and the like during the season.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Serious?

Why would you remove free kicks that show a clear indication of how the game was being umpired?

Afl even admit it was advantage bulldogs so dogs fans can stop making up crap

Just wack a * against this one

We won without our centre half forward, full back, captain, crameri, wallis, and had 3 players that played with injuries needing surgery. Umpires also had no effect on the result whatsoever. In fact the last quarter with 13 minutes to go scores were 1 point the difference. From then on until the margin was 21 points, the free kick count went Sydney's way 3-1. Time to let it go, if the game went 10 minutes longer the margin would be 8 goals.

the real * goes to the 2005 premiership. Hall shouldn't have even played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back