No Oppo Supporters Umpiring in the grand final

Status
Not open for further replies.

dopesayo

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
I agree the dogs probably got the rub of the green on a few decisions, but I recall a couple of obvious holding the ball decisions that didn't go in the dogs favor either. One was when Kennedy was tackled twice and got away with it

The 2 contentious sliding in decisions with wood and Morris were fair game in my view. They just wanted the ball more than their Swans opponents. If people argue to the letter of the law that they should have been paid frees, in my view, the rule is wrong ! We should reward those who get to the contest first, and are hard at the ball

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth

Good luck in 2017 !

Doesn't matter what you think is right or wrong, all season it has been paid that if you slide into someone below the knees you give away a free kick. They decided to change that in the Grand Final of all days - pathetic.

Caught up with my old man last night for the first time since the grand-final. He is as old-school and neutral as it gets when it comes to the AFL these days and I've never heard him criticize umpires or the umpiring but even he said we were robbed without me having to bring it up. That's enough confirmation/validation for me.

footy75

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
When you were 8 points up with a minute to go in the half and they paid ridiculous free and then 50 to McLean you knew they were cheating. No way in the world the umpire wasnt biased in that call he coudnt possibly have gotten it so wrong. They also scored from the entry.

THIS

this was the moment...

this killed the swans right here

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
The score may have also read differently if Jack and Franklin nailed very gettable set shots at the start of the game to put us 3 goals up. We did not stand up when it counted in the final qtr and the Bulldogs finished us off.

It was a great tough game of footy that unfortunately we were on the wrong end of the scoreline at the end of the game.
Mate with respect you miss the point entirely. Of course some of the mistakes had a bearing on the result. That's football. An inherent part of the game. Biased umpiring is not or should not be part of the game. It made an UNFAIR difference to the result because it shouldn't be in the game per se. Mistakes by players are part of the game.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Umpire incompetence/corruption (whatever you want to call it) cost us this whole finals series.

GWS were allowed to get away with murder in the QF yet we were still in it until the Heeney non-mark was the straw that broke the camel's back; We were smashing the Crows until the umps got them back in it;
Papley non-mark against Geelong led to the Aliir injury which caused him to miss the GF;
and of course the grand final itself.

It's s**t, as we were probably the best team in the comp this year as we should have been at least 19-3 or 20-2, but we have to get even better next year so that the umpiring isn't a factor.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Umpire incompetence/corruption (whatever you want to call it) cost us this whole finals series.

GWS were allowed to get away with murder in the QF yet we were still in it until the Heeney non-mark was the straw that broke the camel's back; We were smashing the Crows until the umps got them back in it;
Papley non-mark against Geelong led to the Aliir injury which caused him to miss the GF;

It's s**t, as we were probably the best team in the comp this year as we should have been at least 19-3 or 20-2, but we have to get even better next year so that the umpiring isn't a factor.
As the great Nigerian boxer Dick Tiger said before a fight in Las Vegas in the 1960's "I'll have to knock him out to get a draw"

Anyone else have a feeling in about fifteen or twenty years we'll be watching Sheehan interview Stevic or Meredith on Open Mike and they'll fess up to buying into the "romance" of the Bravedogs? They'll brush it off with a "aww yeah but ya know, all umpires had bias back in those days, and no one could begrudge a Bulldogs win"

Bet my house on it.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone else have a feeling in about fifteen or twenty years we'll be watching Sheehan interview Stevic or Meredith on Open Mike and they'll fess up to buying into the "romance" of the Bravedogs? They'll brush it off with a "aww yeah but ya know, all umpires had bias back in those days, and no one could begrudge a Bulldogs win"

Bet my house on it.

Well, they did win, and you can't take the cup away. This thread is about us, not them.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
You know for all the s**t the players, coaches and club copped over the year from us; they still should've been the premiers this year. Yeah some players didn't have the best of days in the Grand Final. But we played well enough to win. We were robbed by the umpires.

2016 - The year of the Bravedogs presented to you by the AFL.

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods

Bet my house on it.

We might have to wait for the court transcripts the next time there's a Royal Commission into global match fixing. :drunk:

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

When there is two even teams luck and umpiring decisions will always be a factor and will be a factor forever unless they replace the human element, its ridiculously hard to get there yet again you think to yourself how many times can we go to the well before it dries up?

I cant quite figure it out why we always start to have players breakdown or cop injuries in finals? is it bad luck? is it our gamestyle requiring high tackle count which is more susceptible to causing injuries? you look at the past premiers Hawthorn never seem to cop injuries during finals, Bulldogs got all their players back and looked fitter than us.

Again is it just bad luck? do we just not have luck on our side when we need it the most?

Caught up with a friend of mine who was on holidays OS with his wife and kids for the first time since the GF last week. He is a POM and mad keen on soccer, but has added AFL to his list of casual sports (ie watches AFL when there is no soccer). He and his 15 yro son were avoiding shopping with the wife and daughter, when the game came on the pub he was lunching in. They decided to stay and watch. Minutes into the third quarter, he and his son were discussing the reaming by the umps of the Swans, when he rec'd a text from a mate in Aus, saying 'The Swans are being reamed by the umpires! Good thing you are not watching causing they are making sure they can't win!'

Neither are big AFL fanatics, but both are sports fanatics. Both were appalled by the umpiring... just goes to show we are not being one-eyed, it is true. The umpiring of the GF was appalling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back